Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Talas Forks do you even bother adjusting?
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

All of my forks have a travel adjust on them and yes I do use it frequently. My Rockshox forks are a pain, but after a few years of using them I do know how many turns equate to the travel amount I need. A Two step or three step adjust would be nice though.

I’ve a set of Wotans with Flight Control which works well in principle but is a faff to use, so I invariably leave them at 160mm travel.

weescott
    Free Member

I have used Talas on my 2007, 2008/2009, 2011 36. 100/130/160 and the new 120/160. So you could say I like Talas 😀

100mm was only used on smooth but mega steep climbs (too low a BB for technical climbs)
    130mm was used for some less challenging trails
    160mm for the downs

120mm mega steep climbs
    160mm everything else

Conclusion: Good climbing has more to do with bike geo and suspension set up. Talas is just a bonus.

kudos100
    Free Member

I ride a chumba xcl, which climbs like 3 legged giraffe at 160mm. I use the travel adjust quite a bit. 130mm for local stuff, wind it in and out for more gnarly stuff and 160mm for DH.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crotchrocket
    Free Member

Is it just me or do they make the bike feel draggy and slow when you drop them to short travel setting?

amedias
    Free Member

not everyone is a total nerd when it comes to bikes. I find it amazing just how many anoraks there are in this world,

hardly being a nerd or anorak, just surprised that someone who rides bikes, and frequents a bike forum, doesn’t have a passing interest in how the kit has developed over the last decade.

Even reading a few mags or reviews you would have come across them surely?

scruff
    Free Member

crotchrocket, this is a myth and also true. ETA on some frames used to feel like the front brake was on.

amedias
    Free Member

I’d add to my previous post actually by saying:

actually who cares if you’ve heard about hem before or not, you’re right about this place, occasionally you can learn something and if you can read between the egos and purchase justification of some posters then you will actually get some information on kit from real world users rather than the marketing departments and journos.

FWIW – I do like my travel adjustable forks, but I wouldn’t recommend them for every bike, or every rider. They tend to suit bikes with a bit of a spilt personality where you can flip between ‘hooligan’ and ‘mince’ modes depending on how you build them.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Scruff> ETA?

Burls72
    Free Member

Is it just me or do they make the bike feel draggy and slow when you drop them to short travel setting?

I’ve found that as well. Also I find that the fork peforms differently in each travel setting.

chiefP
    Free Member

First time iv used Fox Talas forks last night and made a difference on the climbs at Llandegla, more the long steep climb on the Red to switch from 150mm to 120mm, just nice to have that option.

londonpride
    Free Member

Debating getting some Talas forks on a Canyon nerve AM. Was thinking for days of lighter stuff running them on a higher pressure, and days of bigger hits slightly lighter. I was presuming running on the 120 for long periods of time (ie not just climbing) setting wouldn’t do the fork much good. Is that a wrong assumption?

Having read this forum it seems I can just run on the 120 setting on the more XC days for long periods of time, and increase to 150 on proper AM days. Any thoughts?

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Talas Forks do you even bother adjusting?’ is closed to new replies.