• This topic has 59 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Taking your bike inside shops?
  • winston
    Free Member

Bikes are welcome in my shop especially as there is almost always mine in there….however as it also has around 100 kayaks/opens in it there is plenty of space. Dogs welcome too.

TiRed

I take my road bike into shops all the time. It is very unusual to be questioned. Of course one is polite, careful and generally well mannered. The bike is an obvious high end piece of bling that most people can tell is not a gnarpoon or dirty pub hack.

The staff in my local Boots are lovely. They look after it when I leave it behind the door. My local small Tesco have no issue either. I’ve also taken it into restaurants.

Rule 1 isn’t it.

kiwijohn

The Local is cool with bikes.
    dmr

easily
    Free Member

A LBS told me off for bringing my bike in. I decided not to bother ever going back there.

tomhoward

How do LBS’ that don’t allow bikes in the shop book service work in?

jaminb
    Free Member

Decathalon (Kensington High St) is cool with bikes inside. It is now a too convenient stop off on the way home. Holding on going down the escalator feels odd.

BigJohn

The Spar near us has a dedicated area right in front of the door where you just lie your bikes down in a pile.

rOcKeTdOg

I’d just like to point out that I always ask permission first before wheeling the bike in.

trumpton
    Free Member

I think it’s rude taking a bike ( not Brompton ) into a store. loads of crud usually on the wheels. Mind you I did try and take my bike though the maccys d’s drive through once and got refused service on health and safety grounds.

LittleNose
    Free Member

At Halfords once, and the guy on the till who saw me locking it up told me to bring it in if I preferred… only time I’ve taken a bike in a shop unless it was a LBS and I was wanting it worked on.

taxi25
    Free Member

Very proud of a lifetime ban i was given at a Tesco near me for taking my bike in.

Is this connected to……

I was leaving my local Tesco Express a few weeks ago when a guy tried to take a road bike in. The security guard did the same thing but the bloke with the bike insisted he was taking it in and started saying things like don’t you know how much this is worth etc etc. He made himself look like a massive bellend 

🤔🤔

rOcKeTdOg

ind you I did try and take my bike though the maccys d’s drive through once and got refused service on health and safety grounds

that happened to me, no other vehicles in the queue though. the huy at the window said it was ok to wheel the bike in through the front door though. never mind the store users health and safety

molgrips
    Free Member

At Halfords once, and the guy on the till who saw me locking it up told me to bring it in if I preferred

Yes, ours has a load of space inside the door and wheeling bikes through the doors is exactly how people get them in and out for service and after they’ve bought them, so you’d have to be a right git to refuse that.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Molgrips – happened to me once too. Never been back!
    I rode into the shop round the corner from school once (about 40 years ago…) – tried an endo turn and fell off – knocked s load of stuff over – the shopkeeper helped me up and was very good about it. Wouldn’t do it now though!!!

csb

No taxi, mine was a town bike back in 2003 and I didn’t even get a chance to state my case to the security guard, he went straight for the ban. I said he’d done me a favour, smiled and left.

csb

I think my measure of acceptability with bikes in shops is whether its a shop that has trolleys, so the principle of outdoor wheels being ok is established.

JAG

My local Tesco Express allows me to wheel my bike inside – I lean it against the trolleys, buy whatever I need, and leave as quickly as I can.

I’m very grateful for their indulgence :o)

DezB
    Free Member

Evans in Havant have an area inside for storing bikes. I think Cycle Surgery down the road do too (but they’re the bastards who wouldn’t lend me an allen key!)

Argos manager once told me to bring my bike in, there is a big empty space by the doors. I often collect ebay deliveries from Argos on my way home, so it’s nice to not have to carry a lock.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Our local Sainsbury’s express has a security fellow, I’ve seen him stop people taking bikes in but promise to watch them

This reminds me of my Grandma a few years ago. There was a new Morrisons and never enough space for all the bikes. She had complained a few times, spoken to the store manager and tried to get them to install more racks. One morning she turned up and there was no spaces. Wheeled her bike in and asked to speak to the manager again (in a nice old lady way with a smile). When he came out she handed him her bike and said he could look after it while she got her shopping. He was still stood there with it when she returned 10 mins later, and was very apologetic!
    They got some more racks shortly after.

TiRed

I did try and take my bike though the maccys d’s drive through once and got refused service on health and safety grounds

I used to cycle the kiddyback tandem through on a Sunday evening.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Taking your bike inside shops?’ is closed to new replies.