• This topic has 59 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Taking your bike inside shops?
  • airvent
    Free Member

What’s peoples opinions on this? I feel like it should be totally acceptable to bring your bicycle inside a shop with you if you’re careful with it rather than being forced to lock it up outside. I cant tell if people have a dim view on this or not though.

scotroutes

There are very few shops I can think of that would have enough free floor space for one, let alone a number of bikes. Shops are for selling stuff, they want to have as much on display as possible. Any other space is for customers walking/standing around.

tomhoward

Shopkeepers don’t want to risk a muddy carpet/dirtied stock, blocked shelves or have to explain that they aren’t responsible if some scrote robs your bike whilst you’re looking elsewhere.

airvent
    Free Member

But surely its smaller than a trolley?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do it all the time.

With my Brompton, anyway!

nickjb
    Free Member

I wouldn’t even consider doing it. I suppose it might be ok in a bike shop but I still wouldn’t

iainc

Would you expect to take your car in too, if that was how you chose to get to the shop ?

airvent
    Free Member

Iainc how is that even remotely similar ! I sometimes use my legs to get to the shop and I can take those in!

tomhoward

But surely its smaller than a trolley?

It’s a fair bit longer and about as wide if you have modern MTB bars. Not on casters either, so much harder to move out of the way. Put a bike by the sink in your kitchen and see how frustrating it is to move about.

iainc

Iainc how is that even remotely similar ! I sometimes use my legs to get to the shop and I can take those in!

Because the shop is a business who are sustained by selling things. How people get to their front door is nothing to do with them. If they are accommodating they may assist with somewhere to park a car, or a bike rack, or a crèche, or even somewhere to tie up your dog.

whytetrash

Twin buggy or pushchairs are massive… you suggesting they should be refused entry too?😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I got told off for taking my bike inside a shop once. It was a bike shop, and full of bikes!

plus-one

I take my bike(fixie) into my local tsb no drama

jjprestidge
    Free Member

I was fine with people bringing bikes in to my coffee shop. Not sure I’d have felt the same if it had been a clothes shop or similar.

JP

codybrennan
    Free Member

I once rode my hardtail in through the revolving doors at Braehead Shopping Centre, to the vast amusement of my pals. I timed the pedalling perfectly, half trackstanding as the doors turned, and then went in, rode a wee 30 second loop, and out again. All of this at 21:55, just before they closed.

So yes, it can be done.

endomick
    Free Member

Once saw a guy prop his bike up inside a Heron foods store, I was in the queue as it slowly started slipping then slam, hit the deck, knocking over a display cage, caused a woman to land on her arse and damaged the window, the guy was African, barely spoke english, it was like a hidden camera show, total disaster.

cardo

I have a KOM in our local M&S

csb

Very proud of a lifetime ban i was given at a Tesco near me for taking my bike in. Waitrose have no issue with it at all (clean road bike, discretely propped in spacious cafe area).

lunge

I got told off for taking mine to Tesco, yet oddly Waitrose are generally fine.
    Not tried any other shop, though my Barber lets me leave it in the shop whilst I have a trim.

nuke

Wouldn’t even consider it with a normal bike as i think it’d be a pretty contentious in most shops so why go looking for a potential argument. Taken my foldup bike in lots of shops & supermarkets, always folded up though.

rOcKeTdOg

Brewery’s allow it

MVIMG_20191214_145536

Screenshot_20191214-185734

PANO_20191214_144402.vr

And bike shops

MVIMG_20191214_123404

zippykona

We’ve had one girl bring her racer in and lean it against one of our display units.

I thought she was taking the piss but she soon left.

We do offer bike liocks to those that need them.

tdog
    Free Member

Bitd Morrisons allowed me to wheel in on my inbred

Tescos locally allow me to in order to get my nicotine fix 😜

jamesoz

Took my bike in the pub last Friday closing, was about sober enough to pick it up on the Sunday. Land lord was fine.
    Our local Sainsbury’s express has a security fellow, I’ve seen him stop people taking bikes in but promise to watch them.

senorj

I often take mine to my lbs whilst I shop on the high st. It comes in the pub on a summer week night. Was asked to remove it from a newsagents this year, put my goods back and went next door to the off license.
    I’ll try Waitrose next week. 🙂

FB-ATB

I have trouble negotiating some shops with my sons wheelchair due to the clutter/ end displays. Think it would be worse with a bike.

jeffl

Taken my bike into Currys / PC world to pickup a package. No problems but it was a road bike rather than a massive gnarrpoon mountain bike.

trail_rat
    Free Member

No one owns bike locks these days. I’ve seen folk doing this. Always makes me think. Self important walloper.

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve taken mine into the car dealership when picking up the car after a service. As long as you don’t rest it on a new car they are fine.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

My local Wine Rack told me to bring mine in! Needless to say I now buy all my booze from there.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My local Wine Rack told me to bring mine in!

Now that’s service. That’s very different from presuming it’s your God given right to take the bike in.

reluctantjumper

I’ve taken mine into the car dealership when picking up the car after a service. As long as you don’t rest it on a new car they are fine.

Back when my car was new and had a free service pack I used to drive to the garage with the towbar rack on, go for a ride in the local woods while they serviced it and return all muddy then drive back home. Except one time my car needed to stay in overnight as they’d broken a clip for the handbrake cable. They gave me a courteousy car and a seat cover but were a bit stumped about what to do with my muddy bike. That was until the young girl on the reception suggested putting it in the bike rack on top of the Yeti in the main showroom. So I went home with an Octavia Vrs for a few days and my bike was a bit of a talking point for the staff. Returned 3 days later and the guy on the service desk said they’d sold 2 Yeti’s to outdoorsy people in that time purely because it had a muddy bike on the roof!

andrewh
    Free Member

I usually leave mine the foyer of big shops, B&Q, Tescos that sort of thing, the space between the first doors and the second doors, just a bit less obvious than one left outside. Small shops would be way too crowded to manouver. Went to a meeting in someone else’s office a couple of weeks ago, asked if they had a yard round the back I could leave it ‘Oh just bring it in, it’ll be fine’

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

My local bike shop (sadly closed now 😥) was always ok with me bringing a dirty mountain bike in and leaning it against the window or counter. In my experience bike shops are usually ok providing you ask first, I’d never take the bike in a normal shop though.

Our local Sainsbury’s express has a security fellow, I’ve seen him stop people taking bikes in but promise to watch them.

I was leaving my local Tesco Express a few weeks ago when a guy tried to take a road bike in. The security guard did the same thing but the bloke with the bike insisted he was taking it in and started saying things like don’t you know how much this is worth etc etc. He made himself look like a massive bellend 🙄

robbie
    Free Member

Asda let me and a mate take our bikes through the shop and up The stairs to the cafe for a fully cooked breakfast. felt a bit weird but the staff were totaly cool with it.

crazy-legs

My local Sainsbury’s Express is fine with it – there’s actually a convenient space right by the enormous hulk of the cash machine so every once in a while you’ll see someone just tuck their bike in there for a few minutes.

Most of the shops in the town though are small family run places that simply don’t have the space to accommodate a bike. One of the cafes is OK with it and a couple of the pubs. One pub is routinely used by a group finishing a night ride and the back room of the pub ends up with about £50,000 of MTB in it!

tjagain

I have on occasion asked if I can take my bike into shops but generally? No.

What I do have is a proper lock and use it properly. I have no fear of the bike being stolen

hardtailonly

Generally no. Exceptions are the local Edinburgh bike store. And the local café my wife runs!

In my job, I sometimes have to do home visits, usually on my bike. Generally will lock the bike to a gate/post etc in the front garden, but sometimes there’s nowhere secure to lock it to. Some people invite me to bring it into the house!

alexnharvey
    Free Member

I walk my bike into a medium size Tesco when I want a bag of coffee on the way to work in the morning from time to time. 0745, no one says a thing, coffee in the pannier and off I go again. My lock is on the rack at work you see. Some day there may be a bugger who takes issue but as long as I don’t hit one of the staff stocking shelves or the three other customers what’s the problem?

seosamh77
    Free Member

If the owner say aye, go for it, if the owner says no, don’t do it.

Fairly simple I’d think. If you are unsure, ask first.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Taking your bike inside shops?’ is closed to new replies.