Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Taking the shine OFF a new black composite door
  • muzzle
    Free Member

We’ve just had new black composite doors fitted and my wife hates the glossy shine that they have. Now I know this will dull over time, but does anyone know of a way to make them more matt straight away?

Repainting is obviously an option, but something less drastic to start with would be ideal.

Every time I google it, all I get is how to restore the shine, and I’m looking for the opposite effect.

Any help appreciated!

sharkattack

I’d try some 0000 wire wool. I’ve used it to give a satin finish on a couple of guitars because it will remove the super glossy finish from the lacquer without actually removing or damaging the lacquer itself.

It’s the most gentle abrasive thing I can think of and it’s cheap and easy to see if it works.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

There is a product called Gloss Off for paint prep instead of rubbing down.

properbikeco
    Free Member

dust and wet weather…. I wouldn’t be doing anything otherwise to the door as it’ll probably damage the finish

matt_outandabout

Patience.

db

Could try something like sugar soap. It’s a bit alkaline and might take the sheen off.

Cougar

dust and wet weather…. I wouldn’t be doing anything otherwise to the door as it’ll probably damage the finish

… and potentially invalidate any warranty.

Ask the manufacturer what they recommend?

timba
    Free Member

Vinyl film wrap
    Buy a matching bike and tell everyone that you used the offcuts

Cougar

sparkyrhino

I used gt85 to take the gloss off of a plastic mudguard, worked a treat,would recommend patience though, £20 mudguard and £1k + door are different beasts

retrorick

I’m sure that the fitters of my composite doors used WD-40 when they wiped them down?
    Later I read the instructions which said don’t use WD-40 to clean the doors. I think it took a protective layer off and the shine. 😭

funkmasterp

Stay inside where you can’t see the outside of the door and wait for time to take its toll.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.