Taking out a window to get a sofa in

Home Forum Chat Forum Taking out a window to get a sofa in

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Taking out a window to get a sofa in
  • Steve-Austin

I’ve done it!
    it was a double glazed unit, just popped the plastic seals out, then lifted the sealed glass unit out of the window, i think it had some clips holding it in place but it was a long time ago.
    It wasn’t difficult

Xylene

I’ve been examining the window. Only concern I have is breaking the plastic bead.

Sofa is the only one I’ve liked out of hundreds, but there is now way I’m ending up with a credit note for a shop for a grand when there was only one sofa that I wanted in it

neilnevill

do yu mean taking a sealed unit ouot of the upvc frame? or taking the whole frame ut the brick work?

sealed units out of upvc frame is simple enough if you know what youo are doing and are careful, should do no damage at all and take just seconds to remove and refit.

sealed unit out of a hardwood frame also possible but will mean prizing up the beading (it will just be pinned down, maybe with some sealer or putty to seal it) which might split if you are unlucky. Refitting is simple enough but will require new putty/sealing mastic and cleaning the old off etc, so will take a bit longer. I wouldn’t go near thaking the frame from the brick work unless yu REALLY REALLY like the dofa though…refitting well needs care, to level, pack out, screw in solidly but not distort etc etc….If you SO is driving this I’d take her back to the furniture show room and be willing to spend more on something that fits in….much more.

Xylene

glazed unit out,
    ]
    any videos of how to do it?

stuey

I had to demolish half a porch brick wall to get my sister’s sofa in.

After – she told me the sofa was discounted because of its size 😉

TuckerUK

I had to it to my girlfriends flat many moons ago. Luckily we knew the previous owner and they had also done it, so at least we knew it was possible. On her window it was a case of removing some trim, then removing wedges holding the double glazed unit in. It was actually fairly simple, with the major hassle being the size and weight of the unit.

neilnevill

Is it internal or externally glazed? if it’s external then there should be fairly thick rubber seals al round. use a sharp knife or similar to carefully prize one end of a pice out, then pull the whole strip out. Once one is out the rest are easy, but getting the first out is tough if it was fitted properly. To add refitting coatwith something like fairy to ‘lube’ it, push one end in and work along. really push it in…it will try to stretch and if you don’t work it in you’ll beleft with a few inches over….don’t be tempted t trim off, pull out and work it in harder.

If it is internally beaded then the plastic beading and rubber seal usually come off in one. Again sharp knife or wallpaper striper, carefully lever one end out then pull, shold just unclip basically. refit is as before, clip one end then work along.

Unit itself is probably sat in the frame on a few spacers, take note and refit the same way.

Xylene

Anybody ever taken out their living room window to get a sofa in?

Found a sofa I like, but with 29″ door it’s not going to get in. Only option is living room window out.

Is it a complete pain in the arse or not doing this? Will my window reseal properly?

hs125

Consider getting some suction cup handles for lifting the glass out and in again.
    If it’s a uPVC plastic frame, a wallpaper scraper or similar can be used to prize the internal beading off, and the rubber should reseal fairly easily afterwards as long as it isn’t damaged, but you wouldn’t want to drop the sealed unit.
    I’ve not actually done it, as I managed to squeeze my new sofa through the door, but I watched the window fitters when a pane had to be taken out because of a jammed lock, with this in mind.

Joe

Yeh did it a couple of weeks ago. Very easy.

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

I bought our sofas from a shop which would have allowed us to try the “showroom model” at home before buying, in case it wouldn’t fit through the front door. Might be worth asking.

z1ppy

Get a better sofa? Ours came to pieces and fit inside our normal coupe car (& so through door ways).

joolsburger

I’m slightly baffled as to why it wont fit through the door. My door is 28 inches wide and my sofa is a huge 4 seater that is very, very deep. Delivery guys got in it in here without any issues or damage.

Xylene

Entrance way to house is narrow, straight up stairs, with very little turning space.

Front door is actually 26″ wide, internal door 90 degrees to it is 29″. Stairs directly in front.

Sofa is 86″ 42″ 32″.

It’s one of those outlet stores that sells other stores models, some which couldn’t fit in peoples houses because they didn’t measure it.

I don’t fancy a grand of tick at the shop if it doesn’t fit.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Taking out a window to get a sofa in’ is closed to new replies.