Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 295 total)
  • Taking Kids on Holiday During Term Time — New Rules
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I blame the school! If the school ski trip wasn’t so bloody expensive because we have to subsidise all those poor kids and teachers he could go on that and if you took the time to get your higher level crb or whatever it is you could go too 😉

ransos
    Free Member

You mean Devonshire, surely?

Ha! (!).

See, that’s what happens when you get taken out of lessons.

gonefishin
    Free Member

What needs addressing here is the greed of the holiday companies,

Might I respectfully suggest some lessons in economics for the reason as to why this happens?

russianbob
    Free Member

russianbob – the authorisation process is now out of the school’s control (effective 1/9/13) – the detail is around page 1 or 2 of this thread.

Is this out of date then???? – https://www.gov.uk/school-attendance-absence/overview

russianbob
    Free Member

Might I respectfully suggest some lessons in economics for the reason as to why this happens?

I understand why it happens. Doesn’t make it right though.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I understand why it happens. Doesn’t make it right though.

As demand rises for a limited supply of goods, so does the price. Unless you want to change the entire economic system to what amounts to communism I can’t see how it anything other than right. I can see that those that lose out don’t like it, but just because you don’t like something doesn’t make it wrong. It’s hardly a new phenonmena either. I’m almose 40 and I can remember my parents making sure we went on holiday at the start of the school holidays as it was cheaper to go then before the English schools went on holiday too and the prices rose.

stumpyjon

I know there was a right row amongst the governors at my kids school as ultimately it was down to them to fine parents and they all said they hadn’t signed up to do that. The system worked well enough before when the head had discretion.

Education is important but in most cases an odd week off at a non critical time, especially at primary school, is not going to make much difference. Many of the teachers moaning they don’t get to go on holiday during term time smacks of sour grapes to be honest.

RustySpanner

Many of the teachers moaning they don’t get to go on holiday during term time smacks of sour grapes to be honest.

The thread wasn’t started by a teacher expecting special treatment – teachers accept the compromise.

surfer
    Free Member

the perception that school is less important than bargain holidays will have an insidious effect on their longer term attitude to academic education and thus exam performance

Which is a very good point.

Its not, its a straw man.

russianbob
    Free Member

just because you don’t like something doesn’t make it wrong

Spot on. I’m 41 and do what I can within my means for my family. Believe me, if I could afford it, we’d be off trucking round Africa for 6 weeks every summer.

Nick

To go to Greece say, even for a week, in the summer holidays would end up costing us in excess of £4K.

We went to Croatia and Montenegro this year, in August, four of us, 12 days, cost £2.5k. We had a pool in Montenegro, ate out on 6 nights etc.

I’m not sure we could have gone rock pooling in Northumberland for that.

russianbob
    Free Member

Sounds ace, whereabouts? Flights and everything?

Clong
    Free Member

Its not, its a straw man.

Kind of is isn’t it?

MoreCashThanDash

Life’s too short to read the thread from start to finish….

As a parent, I fully understand the desire to take kids out of school to get a cheaper holiday, especially the last week of primary school terms when they do very little work anyway. The way the “free market” shafts parents is horrendous.

However, I feel the urge to climb on my high horse and point out that we were fully aware of this before we had kids and before they started schools. We kind of just factored it all in to our lifestyle/budget plans……

Taking kids out of school to get the holiday that the parents want at a price the parents want to pay is not the solution.

Some concerted organised campaign of boycotting the travel firms to stop them screwing us over would be.

Nick

Sounds ace, whereabouts? Flights and everything?

Flights and everything.

Dubrovnik for four nights, then Kotor in the Bay of Kotor for 7.

Flights were £618 for the four of us
    Apartment in Dubrovnik was £481 but cost us £321 (divided by 6*4 as two friends stayed with us)
    Apartment in Kotor (Dobrota) was £600 (divided by 6*4 as two friends stayed with us)
    Meals came to no more than £20 a head so £20 * 4 * 6 = £480
    Transfers cost us £200

Total £2219

Food and beer was very cheap to buy from the “supermarkets”

RichPenny
    Free Member

From where is the enforcement being driven? Is it from:

A) Political desire to achieve a few headlines.
    B) Head teachers desire to hit a target set for political reasons.
    C) Head teachers desire to hit a target for educational reasons.
    D) Teachers desire to hit a target set for political reasons.
    E) Teachers desire to hit a target set for educational reasons.

I’m not sure that it’s easy to comment as a parent on the impact of taking your kid out. That’s one instance, if there are numerous instances through the year then you’d have a problem.

As a parallel, my working environment has an enforced summer shutdown, meaning that you’re reducing the chance of the business being exposed by holiday requirements. If a large number of people stepped outside those rules, it would impact on everyone. To me it stands to reason that education is more efficient when attendance is maximised. Are schools having to put less in the curriculum to allow for poor attendance? Are teachers having to do more work to make up for poor attendance?

porter_jamie

link anywhere to the actual rules? did i read somewhere you can take them for religous reasons. job done then. jedi convention in the alps.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Late to,the party, but I found this disturbing, hilarious, pompous and overblown

Seriously the first and last time I get a bollocking from a head for my attitude to education or parenting they will leave in no doubt who is having the last word. It won’t be the head teacher. It won’t be the head teacher. There will be a winner and a loser in the frank exchange of views and I will not be losing

jamj1974

Thought I would have a look and see how it was getting on in here…

As as selfish parent one of the things I can’t help noticing is how tired our children are even in the years where they have had an additional two-weeks holiday. Considering that private, public and foreign schools often have longer holidays. Are state schools terms too long?

I still believe that taking our children out of school actually does benefit them in the round and would disagree – given our emphasis on the importance of school and education that it suggests to our children that school is unimportant and should be treated with disdain.

Also there is a huge difference between a “frank exchange of views” and aggression or abuse. I don’t think aggression or abuse is an appropriate way to treat any professional. Providing criticism is not the same thing at all.

I’ve also said that special treatment is not appropriate. In my mind the same more flexible treatment should be applied to all.

In fairness to some of my critics though, as on a previous thread I think some of my initial posts were clouded by the issues we have and are continuing to have with a frankly bullying head.

Finally it would be interesting to see how much emphasis those who have criticised out approach, put on education through the year. If by chance it was less than we do in our family – due to your own priorities, constraints, etc… I don’t think I would be here criticising you with such vehemence or strength. I would happily not comment on your parenting approach unless you asked me to do so.

Nobby

russianbob-
    Is this out of date then???? – https://www.gov.uk/school-attendance-absence/overview

Yes it is – New regs are. HERE

Kryton57

Tired?

What rubbish..

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’ve also said that special treatment is not appropriate. In my mind the same more flexible treatment should be applied to all.

So everyone should be allowed to take their kids out of school whenever they want? Of course not including test weeks, but pretty much any other time?

anagallis_arvensis

Tired?
    What rubbish..

been in a school recently? Its a valid point to raise give the length of holidays in the private sector.

jamj1974

Yes Kryten. Our children spend the last couple of weeks absolutely wiped out. They put a lot in to learning and you can see the change in them as the term goes on. You can’t say its rubbish without seeing our children really.

jamj1974

Late to,the party, but I found this disturbing, hilarious, pompous and overblown

Good for you. I don’t start arguments in real life that I can’t win. I generally find in real life it’s easier to spot the asshats though – I don’t generally argue with them face-to face. You only end up on their level. It’s harder to judge online though. Considering the positive way I usually conduct myself on here – you would imagine that people could tell when something is very close to the bone for me that I find challenging.

I was hoping for the same kind of understanding I usually show to others on here – I was disappointed. I thought better of people really…

bigyinn
    Free Member

By understanding you mean lots of people siding with your view, but because you didn’t get the agreement you were looking for you’re disappointed?
    Oh well, never mind eh.

Nobby

Seriously the first and last time I get a bollocking from a head for my attitude to education or parenting they will leave in no doubt who is having the last word. It won’t be the head teacher. It won’t be the head teacher. There will be a winner and a loser in the frank exchange of views and I will not be losing

On the basis that this is a legal issue ^^

Good for you. I don’t start arguments in real life that I can’t win.

Might I suggest you don’t start the argument in the first place.

Nobby

been in a school recently? Its a valid point to raise give the length of holidays in the private sector.

Yes, but I’m not quite sure what you mean by the latter.

jamj1974

bigyinn – Member
    By understanding you mean lots of people siding with your view, but because you didn’t get the agreement you were looking for you’re disappointed?
    Oh well, never mind eh.

No I didn’t. I meant that considering I am usually a fairly mild mannered guy on here – that perhaps if I was unusually forceful in my communication there was probably a reason for it.

I know some parents don’t believe in taking their children out of school for holidays but we do. What I don’t expect is to be criticised in terms of my parenting for it. Our choices are as valid as any others. As I said there have been other instances in other threads where I would would choose not to parent my children as others do. I don’t think it is my place to criticise their parenting as a result. I cannot know enough about their situation and parenting to do so. It appears that doesn’t stop some others though!

But as you said – never mind eh…

jamj1974

Nobby
    Might I suggest you don’t start the argument in the first place.

Yes, you may! I wasn’t referring to you as an asshat either… You’ve been more than reasonable.

J

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone is criticising your parenting. I think it is your self- centred and self-interested view which people find difficult.

Nobby

FWIW, the schools I know don’t particularly like the situation but it’s out of their hands. Some have tried to help by giving extended holidays but in exchange for a longer school day during term time. The irony is that those that allowed parents to vote/decide ended up with the decision to decline the proposed changes! Others have simply imposed it and in those schools it has been welcomed – I guess that’s human nature.

The various private & grammar schools had adopted this practice years ago which is why they have always seemed to have longer breaks. Our son goes to a local grammar & he has extended (over LA standard) hours 4 days a week yet they also finish early on a Wednesday. This seems to work well and, whilst some parents object to having their children home an hour early one day a week, there seems to be plenty of evidence to show the kids are more attentive & involved at the end of the school week than before it was introduced.

The UK does, I believe, have shorter school days than most EU nations & even Murrkah and the ‘three term’ academic year seems rather unusual too however, the last time it was proposed to change this it was met with total rejection. Personally, I think 4 terms & a staggered holiday quota would suit modern society better – after all, the current one was put in place where those that were lucky/wealthy enough to have a holiday had to do it in the ‘summer’ months as they didn’t leave the Uk.

Perhaps enforcement of these rules will push parents into demanding change…

jamj1974

CharlieMungus – Member
    I don’t think anyone is criticising your parenting. I think it is your self- centred and self-interested view which people find difficult.

Funny because several people have explicitly criticised my parenting…

jimpy
    Free Member

no axe to grind but do remember a great news letter from my sons school:-

point 1) taking your child out of school for even a day can damage their education

point 2) school will be closed for two days next week due to a teachers strike

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

point 1) taking your child out of school for even a day can damage their education

point 2) school will be closed for two days next week due to a teachers strike

There is no conflict in that, clearly the first refers to taking them out when everyone else is in class.

jimpy
    Free Member

as I said, not trying to make a point

just made me smile 😀

RichPenny
    Free Member

Jam, this is one of those scenarios where some people will never agree with you. Some rules in life you consider to be less important than others. Other people have different priorities. Just as someone willing to break the speed limit may be criticised for not caring enough about people’s safety, so you may be criticised for not caring enough about education. Those criticisms may be incorrect, but they shouldn’t be unexpected.

I would also ask you to consider the possibility that your child being off for several weeks may have a negative impact on the other pupils. Equally, half of the class having time off through the year could disadvantage your child.

jamj1974

RichPenny. Agreed. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me at all. I think it is about rich to consistently criticise my parenting – when people really don’t know anything about it…

Obviously I have considered impacts – but don’t really consider them to be significant. Since most parents don’t take children out of school through choice the potential for disruption is slim.

J

RichPenny
    Free Member

What are the stats like though? Is it something that’s gone from 1% to 20% over a decade?

With the greatest respect, are you actually qualified to determine what the effects might be? I’m certainly not, which is why I was asking questions about what is behind these developments. I thought Nobbys view was very interesting.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Obviously I have considered impacts – but don’t really consider them to be significant. Since most parents don’t take children out of school through choice the potential for disruption is slim.

It’s ot so much the impact that this has on your child that is the issue, for me. The issue is more about the principle of children being taken out of school,as the parents choose. . School is not an individual activity taking you child out of class will have an effect on classmates. But the greater point is that the impact is minimal if only a few people behave like this. The only reason you can do it is because others don’t. That’s not really very fair

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 295 total)

The topic ‘Taking Kids on Holiday During Term Time — New Rules’ is closed to new replies.