Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Taking an 8 Week Old Baby to the Swimming Pool..
  • KINGTUT
    Free Member

My daughter is due for her jabs on Thursday and we would like to get her to the pool at the weekend, I've looked at flotation seats / rings which are all aimed at 3+ months , I've also seen arm bands from 0+.

Has anyone any recommendations what to use and also how we should introduce baby to the water.

Thanks.

wors

We took my son after he had had his jabs, we just held him. Don't stay in too long though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just put her in – she won't mind.

We have a Jojo Maman Bebe inflatable ring with neck support which works well.

We also take our girls out and hold them/swish them around etc.

I have stopped short of dunking under but I want to as they are meant to be fine with it.

We have taken ours since around 3 months and they have loved it every time.

Make sure you go to a proper infants group though, not a parent and child one with 5 yr olds jumping around.

EDIT: Agree with above – 15/20 minutes will be plenty enough time and make sure you take her towel to the poolside and wrap her in it straight away.

And don't forget the swim nappy!

Finally – Jojo also do the neoprene body suits which help them keep warm.

🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Surf-Mat
    Free Member

This makes me go "ahhhhhhh!"

It's great fun!

Our little boy (19 months old now) has been going every Wednesday for ages. Loves it and has no fear of the water – a brilliant thing to do. Agree about proper baby classes though. I've been twice (Mrs Matt usually takes him) and really enjoyed it too.

molgrips
    Free Member

A lot of swimming coaches on the net are strongly against dunking babies because it apparently stresses them out (no sh*t) despite the fact that they won't drown.

I'd suggest swimming costumes with floats in personally. A rubber ring with a seat in it isn't really being in the water as such.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Well probably do classes, but we just want to take her ourselves for 30mins or so and enjoy th moment, best get the timing right at the pool!

Mastiles, thanks for the tip for the Jojo Maman Bebe Float, just what we were looking for.

Hooded towel, swimming cossie and swim nappies are ready!

ski
    Free Member

The fun starts when you want to leave & find the only baby cubicle is ocupied 😉

First time, I got into a right mess by myself, trying to shower, clean, dry and dress sprog all on my tod 😉

Not good at multi-tasking me 😉

Great fun though…

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

get some arm bands just in case!! but for the 1st time at that age your 1st visit will prob only be 10 mins as they go blue very quickly!!!!!!!!!!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I'd suggest swimming costumes with floats in personally. A rubber ring with a seat in it isn't really being in the water as such.

How would a floated swimming costume work for an 8 week old? She can't hold her head up. Or would she do the backstroke?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member
    tinker-belle
    Free Member

If you want I have some xs (3-6 kg/ 7-13 lbs) huggies swim nappies I'm happy to post out.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The fun starts when you want to leave & find the only baby cubicle is ocupied

First time, I got into a right mess by myself, trying to shower, clean, dry and dress sprog all on my tod
    Agreed – although our local bath doesn't even have a baby cubicle. Then as I was getting changed in the open so I could watch Izzi, a group of old ladies (accompanying some disabled men) came wandering in 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Thanks for your kind offer tinker-belle, I think my wife has sorted us out for now!

Mastiles, got that book marked now, we have a local shop so I'm hoping we can get one from there.

EDIT: Local store has one in stock, reserved ready for collection!

movingslowly
    Free Member

we have taken our little girl every week since she was 9 weeks old…she thinks it is brilliant to dunk her face under the water so be warned; it was quite alarming the first time she did it.

We used a baby ring to start with but quickly progressed to a small ring and armbands as she wanted to be on her stomach rather than sitting.

Awesome fun…we encouraged her to splash to get used to having water on her face / head. However, this now gives us minor problems in the bath where she soaks the bathroom floor with her vigorous slashing!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

KingTut – you could also try calling your baths – I would assume they will supply floats anyway. We bought one (plan was that we could swap our twins around, holding one whilst letting the other float) but the baths have lots of different floats anyway.

If you do want to buy one Vouchercloud have been doing 10% (IIRC) discount but it appears to only be on the iPhone app at the moment, not their website

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Taking an 8 Week Old Baby to the Swimming Pool..’ is closed to new replies.