Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Taking a mobile phone abroad – what are the options?
  • wallop

No, not Europe 😆

O2 want to charge me £120 for a 200MB bolt on when I go to South Africa. That ain’t happening – are there any other options?

scruff9252

3 do free roaming to certain countries, incl data. Is SA on the list of their countries?

hairybiker84
    Free Member

We just spent 2 weeks in Canada and went to a mobile supplier in a shopping mall. We explained we needed a mobile for a couple of weeks and he set us up an account with our resident friends address and ID, he managed to waive the CAD$10 fee for the SIM and when we left we cancelled the contract and paid pro-rata for the time we’d had the contract, cost us CAD$20 total. Alternative was a pay-as-you-go SIM but that would have been about double once we’d had to pay for the SIM.
    Might work in SA, obviously your phone needs to be unlocked.

matt_outandabout

My father buys a cheap Indian payg sim when he goes – loads it up with some data and texts and takes old phone. It works out way cheaper for a trip over a week.

iolo
    Free Member

Set up Tu Go on your o2 phone. Whenever you use wifi or 3g pay as you go card you can use your phone through the app. The calls will cost no more than as if you were using it in the uk. UK can call you on your normal number and it costs nothing for you to receive them.

http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Buy a sim, do it in most countries

Rubber_Buccaneer

In South Africa I decided the most cost effective way was to get a PAYG sim with some calls and plenty of data. Then I stuck the card in a little mifi unit that anyone could connect to for data or swapped it to my phone if I needed to make a call. I think you need your passport to buy the sim but since I bought it in the Vodacom (I think, there are a couple) shop in the airport I had it handy at the time and they were used to getting tourists buying SIMs

Rubber_Buccaneer

obviously your phone needs to be unlocked

This is an important point if wanting to use another SIM

jambalaya
    Free Member

Local sim all the way or just use wifi hotspots

Note the movile wifi donglensuggestion is an interesting one. I have one and it works brilliantly (used only in uk) you may be aboe to buy one s/h cheap (mine cost about £75) the beauty of it is it will provide data to more than one device, mrs B uses mine for ipad and phone with her french mobile. Similar with a local sim would be most flexible and not pricey if you sell it in SA

Happy holidays

pondo

Just back from Japan, had a dongle there and hooked both phones and kindles to it, worked a treat. Being Japan, it was sent direct to our first hotel with a prepaid envelope we had to pop it into on our last night – simples.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just back from Japan, had a dongle there

Roppongi ? 😀

pondo

Ooo matron, nooo! 🙂

dannybgoode

Is it possible just to survive on WiFi hotspots? It’s what I tend to do whatever abroad. Don’t feel the need to be anyways connected when on holiday and a catch up at a hotspot usually does it for me.

loddrik
    Free Member

Off to Italy in summer. Am on Three so am looking forward to using my phone as I would here.

wallop

Thanks everyone!

deadkenny
    Free Member

loddrik – Member
    Off to Italy in summer. Am on Three so am looking forward to using my phone as I would here.

Noting that tethering is excluded from the deal when roaming. Just in case you tether.

TooTall
    Free Member

are there any other options?

Not using your phone?

Do you actually need it with you all day, every day for data access?

pondo

Needed ours for navigation as we did a bit of travelling round, maps and train timetables etc.

Cougar

Don’t need a data connection for that, though.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Mcdonald’s free wifi or any other place that offers it, Whatsapp for calls and picture sending and download any maps to use offline. Or another sim. I think theres one called Libre or something similar that’s usable abroad. At last my twin sim One plus 2 phone might come in handy.

pondo

Don’t need a data connection for that, though.

We’re both with Virgin, can’t even get that to work in France – decided not to chance it in Japan… Dunno if we could have done it without being online.

Shred
    Free Member

in SA you need to register for a sim. You will need your passport and proof of address, so print off your hotel booking before you go. If you are staying with family or friends, it is more difficult.

deadkenny
    Free Member

One of the nice things about Windows Phone is the ease of downloading maps of entire regions for offline use. That’s a legacy from Nokia who were doing that since yonks ago.

Though for OS / OSM kind of maps you need something else.

On Wifi… Italy is a right pain because the law there says they have to ID you for any Internet access. Hotels I’ve stayed in take my passport and check it before they’ll give me the access code for the wifi. Many hotspots need you to sign up and then ask for an Italian address and/or phone number.

Cougar

We’re both with Virgin, can’t even get that to work in France – decided not to chance it in Japan… Dunno if we could have done it without being online.

Irrelevant, you just need an offline maps app (eg, TomTom, CoPilot and a billion cheap or free alternatives). The only data GPS uses is for Assisted GPS to speed up the initial acquisition of a satellite lock, and that’s tiny and optional.

Xylene
    Free Member

In your pocket, in a bag, in your hand, on a lanyard or like this:

All options that you could use to take your phone abroad.

pondo

[Quote]Irrelevant, you just need an offline maps app (eg, TomTom, CoPilot and a billion cheap or free alternatives). The only data GPS uses is for Assisted GPS to speed up the initial acquisition of a satellite lock, and that’s tiny and optional.[/quote]
    Aye, someone did recommend one to me but I couldn’t make the blighter work. Mrs Pondo was insistent on a dongle anyway, and it was super-useful getting the train timetable – nice to be able to find ourselves with an hour or two spare and look somewhere else up, or search for a bar or whatever. Think we’d have struggled without the train timetable – we took seven buses/cable cars/trains from Koyasan back to Tokyo and it was totally hassle-free, I think it would have been a struggle trying to work it out on the fly.

wallop

Do you actually need it with you all day, every day for data access?

Not all day, every day, no 😆 But, y’know – it’d just be pretty handy.

CountZero

One of the nice things about Windows Phone is the ease of downloading maps of entire regions for offline use. That’s a legacy from Nokia who were doing that since yonks ago.

If you install the Here satnav app on any OS, you can download a whole bunch of maps and set it to work offline only. It’s the satnav that Nokia developed then put out to general usage, before selling it to the Daimler/VAG/BMW consortium.
    Works brilliantly, I’m slowly removing all the other satnav apps from my phone now, it’s became my default.

jb72
    Free Member

Google maps allows you to download areas for offline use.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Go with three and you’ll save £££

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Taking a mobile phone abroad – what are the options?’ is closed to new replies.