Take your kid mountain biking! Go play outside!

Home Forum Bike Forum Take your kid mountain biking! Go play outside!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Take your kid mountain biking! Go play outside!
  • Junkyard

Presses the like button

superfli

That is a great vid mate! I cant think of any flatish singletrack around here that I can take my lad? Its also too fkn muddy for him to enjoy πŸ™

rossi46

My son also just learned to ride without stablizers the day after Wiggo’s gold medal. He’s been glued the ‘Lympics- i guess they really have inspired a generation! At least in this house they have πŸ˜‰

The feeling of seeing your little ‘un ride off on two wheels for the first time is awesome- i was quite overcome πŸ˜€

johnj2000

Fantastic!

bigben87

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_18H78UKY6I[/video]

Here is a fun video I put together of me riding the trails with my 4yo son Alex. I love that he is getting to go out and ride with me now.

Fun!

mamadirt

Awesome vid. Way to go Alex!

crocodilian

Nice work!

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Brilliant, going to ask for it to be a midweek movie.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

cracking mate. πŸ™‚

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Great stuff.

+ this: The feeling of seeing your little ‘un ride off on two wheels for the first time is awesome πŸ™‚

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

That’s ace!!!

Reminds me of riding with Richpips and his son Tom..

Happydays 8)

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Reminds me of riding with Tim Cave.

simonm

Thats great, He can ride really well. I just can’t think of anywhere for novices in the Peak where my daughter could ride singletrack. (when she starts to pedal).

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Thats brill!! πŸ˜€

I think a trip to Gisburn with my pair is in order this week!

Premier Icon st colin
    Subscriber

He’s quicker than me!

Class video.

passtherizla

Rad! There was almost a Bear Grylls moment with the caterpillar though… πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

Brilliant!
    I’ll be sending that link to the missus so she and my lad can watch it today.

Trailgator should be arriving tomorrow so I can tow my boy up the woods for his first mtb ride πŸ™‚

makes me wanna be a dad, a lot. great video!

Premier Icon ChrisHeath
    Subscriber

That’s billiant. And I don’t even like kids.

πŸ˜€

hughjayteens

Love it! Must admit, I usually walk with the wife, dog and baby while my two ride their bikes but you’ve inspired me to get out together now!

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

Very nicely done.
    Love going out with my boys.

Taking my 10yo bivying tonight for the first time. Wish me luck!

Premier Icon FOG
    Subscriber

Wait ’til he’s 31 and still expects you to maintain his bike and organise his riding !
    I still really enjoy riding with him though.

passtherizla

FOG – Member
    Wait ’til he’s 31 and still expects you to maintain his bike and organise his riding !
    I still really enjoy riding with him though.

Ha Ha… oops… 32 and still get my dad to do bits and organise rides, mainly because if I organise them he ends up moaning. old git.

joemarshall

What a nice video. Rose (2 and a bit) really liked your other video of the 3 year old Alex riding singletrack on the balance bike – she’s watched that a few times before heading out on her bike – I’ll show her this one after she bikes home from the childminders tonight.

Thats great, He can ride really well. I just can’t think of anywhere for novices in the Peak where my daughter could ride singletrack. (when she starts to pedal).

I’d be up for some tips on this too if anyone knows good places.

We’ve tried a few places that worked okay – if you happen to be towards Matlock / Derby, we’ve ridden a little at Shining Cliff in Ambergate (the main paths not the mentalist downhill tracks), and there are some there that are fine, but a certain amount of ‘daddy carry bike’ moments. Same goes for Black Rocks if you know it – some bits of the singletrack there okay, and there are always the big wide high peak trail bits if you don’t get on with the singletrack (and little narrow gauge trains to ride on a Sunday in summer). Oh and we had a good time riding the main path on Froggat Edge – which is not a tight singletrack, more a very tame version of a classic Peak District rocky descent – very gentle descent, with a few tiny Rocks and things, but nothing too scary (check it out on the video of her here) – not somewhere I’d ride a bike as an adult, because it’s too busy, but running with a kid on a tiny bike seems fine, and there’s some lovely picnic spots on the rocks. None of that is massive loops or anything, but complete beginner kids are only going to go a mile or so anyway, so it doesn’t matter too much.

I think there’s probably a lot of places I wouldn’t really know because you wouldn’t ride a bike there – I know some of our local woods are a bit too dog walkery for proper bike riding, or the trails are too short for a decent ride, but they are just right for me running whilst Rose rides.

Also, I don’t know quite how it works with bikes with pedals yet, but I find Rose will go down a surprising amount of stuff if I give her the option of a hand on the front slowing her down on anything too steep. I tend to run rather than ride with her right now, so I can catch her and stop her if she’s about to do something silly! I wouldn’t take her down Cave Dale or ‘The Beast’, but pretty much anything that is smooth or only has small rocky steps without big consequences for falling off the track seems good.

Premier Icon composite
    Subscriber

Ace! πŸ˜€

spacemonkey

That made me smile a lot. Love it!

Did you film using one of these?

SammyC

Knuckle-bump for the awesome little man! πŸ™‚

Wozza

Excellent video. Good content and really well edited. 10/10.

Premier Icon wonkey_donkey
    Subscriber

brilliant!

wisepranker

Excellent.
    That’s what riding bikes is all about, having fun.
    I think he’s gonna be a hell of a rider when he’s older!

timnwild

Awesomeness abounds. I’ve been taking my 7-year old onto little bits of trail where she gets mud in her tyres, and goes over bumps and stuff, and she loves it. Keeps asking to go ‘offroad’ and for me to ‘do stunts.’

+1 for riding with the nippers.

acjim

Great little vid. I took my 3 & 6 year olds out around the Timberland trail in Bristol a couple of weekends ago. 3 year old still needs a steadying hand but the 6 year old is off and away into the distance. Full MBUK attack posture πŸ˜€

iomnigel

Awesome, just awesome.

+1

Thumbs up and Like

a LOT

fatsimon mk2

cool vid going to show my young lad (2 1/2)and his mum tonite trying to talk his mum into letting me get a new bike on the pretex that i can put a seat on it to take him out on some tame trails this might go some way to swinging it in my favour πŸ˜€

Premier Icon Bunnyhop
    Subscriber

Reminds me of riding with Richpips and his son Tom..

Me too.

Correctly fitted helmet – tick
    Sunnies -tick
    fast dry trails – tick
    Big smile – tick
    = Brilliant πŸ™‚

FROGLEEK

Brill vid.
    Just ventured out last week for my first proper mtb ride with my 5 year old.
    He took to it instantly, although I must admit to being scared he was going to forget to brake before a switchback!

happyrider

Fantastic! As soon as the little one is old enough she’ll be introduced to the trails! I have been recommended http://www.islabikes.co.uk/ for well fitting, well thought out kids bikes.

Not ridiculous prices either.

Sorry, I realise this looks like an advert. I am in no way connected to Islabikes πŸ™‚

bigben87

Thanks for all the kind words! I love sharing these kinds of videos with people because it gets people thinking of what they can do with their kids. They are surprisingly capable if you let them!

Where I live we are both blessed and cursed with not the most rugged or hilly terrain for mountain bike trails. Lots of options for younger riders to tackle the trails.

This video was shot completely on a gopro HD Hero 2 and edited on Apple Final Cut Pro X software.

Again thanks for all the compliments. Love capturing these memories πŸ™‚

Cheers!

bigben87

Fantastic! As soon as the little one is old enough she’ll be introduced to the trails! I have been recommended http://www.islabikes.co.uk/ for well fitting, well thought out kids bikes.

Not ridiculous prices either.

Sorry, I realise this looks like an advert. I am in no way connected to Islabikes

The islabikes do look pretty good. He is riding a specialized hotrock 16″ bike in this video but I have a spawn cycles banshee 16″ being delivered. My little guy needs some better brakes and a freewheel to unleash his full potential on the trail. He is psyched that he will be getting a bike with hand brakes “just like dad”. It will be interesting to do a side by side comparison of the bikes when the new bike shows up.

bigben87

[video]http://youtu.be/xz6zG9EYOKI?hd=1[/video]

This is a similar video I edited about a year ago when my son was still rocking the balance bike.

Enjoy!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Take your kid mountain biking! Go play outside!’ is closed to new replies.