Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Take bike to Tenerife? (Costa Adeje)
  • big_scot_nanny

Dear STWers,

Going on hols with family next week to Tenerife. I booked my bike onto the plane on a whim, any point in taking it? Do you know of riding around there?

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Loads of riding if you know the area, best bet would be to speak to Lavatrax. Used them a few years ago and they were excellent.

rocketman
    Free Member

Hmm actual Costa Adeje not too much unless you enjoy promenades/coast path but after La Caleta and further on past Salvaje (?) it gets a bit more interesting

If you’re feeling adventurous you could always ride the old Adeje-Arona track around (or even up) Roque Del Conde. Good luck with that 🙂

Have a look on openstreetmap

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    phiiiiil

Last September we went to Callao Salvaje on the west coast; I took the mtb and got a couple of rides in, it was brilliant, so definitely take it, you’ll be kicking yourself if you don’t.

Get a lift or the bus up to Las Lajas, enjoy the plummet down from 2300m to sea level or thereabouts. There are quite a few tracks just there; have a look on openstreetmap, the strava heatmap or if you’re stuck I can try to find the gpx tracks from my two rides.

There was one trail in particular, through the viewpoint at Boca del Paso above Adeje, which was both brilliant and possibly one of the longest, really-hard-but-just-about-rideable descents I’ve ever done. I’d love to go back, Tenerife has a bad rep regarding British tourists but it’s an amazing place.

kevj
    Free Member

I had a day with Darren at Mountain Bike Active in Porto De La Cruze a month back. Fantastic riding, scenery and guide. 2400m down to almost s a level with a variety of terrain. The last sections were through the back streets of the town. It was reminiscent of the Peru urban dh.

kbomb
    Free Member

The bus drivers there have no problem taking your bike from the coast all the way to the top of the mountain, for under 10 Euro’s, rude not to.

haggis1978

Def phone LavaTrax. Went there a couple of summers ago and Darran was superb. Routes are in excess of 30 miles long downhill. Its insane. Takes you over an hour to get to the start of the route in the van and then its downhill all day till around 4pm! Local knowledge is key though as the trails criss cross all over the place. I’ll def be going back.

kevj
    Free Member

kevj – Member
    I had a day with Darren at Mountain Bike Active in Porto De La Cruze a month back. Fantastic riding, scenery and guide. 2400m down to almost s a level with a variety of terrain. The last sections were through the back streets of the town. It was reminiscent of the Peru urban dh.

I meant Ralf at MTB active, I’d been in touch with Darren at Lavatrax, but he was on his summer hols that week.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And another recommendation for Lavatrax. He can fit in around what you want to do and has very well prepared hire bikes. It’s hellishly punishing on bikes out there, I’d hire one if I were you.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Around the mountain the trails cross about all over the place, disappear, you will vanish into hidden valleys, loose about 2000ft and have to climb it again, and fear generally for your life. At one point I found myself scrambling down a loose volcanic crumbling cliff face in SPDs with my bike on my back at 6000ft altitude, with light failing.. Definitely used one of my nine lives there!

BUT…

When it’s goooooood, it’s oh-so-goooooood.. I remember hitting upon a solid 30 minute descent with lovely berms, ripping through different layers of the forest as I lost altitude. Take your bike. Do some planning. Or get a guided tour.

big_scot_nanny

Hey folks, great stuff, thanks very much. Might as well chuck the bike in.

any GPX files gratefully received! Will also reach out to lavatrax and see if I can join them for a day.

Basically though, anything you can send that gives me an indication would be awesome.

Potdog
    Free Member

Thanks for the positive comments guys, its always a pleasure hitting the trails with you all. Got a full week of riding next week BSN so give me a shout and we can see which of the days suits you if you fancy it.

Darran

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Take bike to Tenerife? (Costa Adeje)’ is closed to new replies.