Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tailbone issues
  • SaxonRider

Probably eight-ish months ago now, I was sitting on the paved patio (literally on the ground, with my back up against the wall) with one of my kids for maybe 30 minutes. When I got up, my tailbone hurt quite badly. Not quite as badly as if I’d fallen on it, but the same sort of throbbing pain.

It hasn’t hurt constantly since, but I have often been aware of it, and on a ride today, it was actually sore enough to affect my power. If I put any effort into pedalling, I would get pain emanating from the coccyx, just to the side of it of the leg that was on the downstroke. So it was like a pendulum of pain – going back and forth according to which leg was pressing down on the pedal.

Now remember: it hasn’t been constant, but it emerged today like it was freshly injured and really affected my ride.

Is this normal? I don’t know what I did to it last year, but it seems definitely related to that moment. But for it to last this long? And to affect me unevenly (meaning: sometimes not at all, and sometimes quite badly)?

I’m starting to think that I’m falling apart in my old age.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

I know the coccyx can become chronically inflamed, like any joint I guess, due to injury.

Years ago I banged my coccyx on a piece of steel equipment and it ached on and off for about 6 months after.

I can’t imagine how painful actually breaking it would be! Sends a shiver through my spine!

scotroutes

My daughter broke her coccyx last year. As a horse rider she has found the recovery process/delay equally excruciating and frustrating.

What has your GP to say about it?

robbie
    Free Member

Years ago when I was a lot younger i hurt my coccyx when I jumped into a pool and smashed it of the bottom.
    It was very painful at the time but went away and never effected me. Forward 30 years on and after losing a bit of weight it really started to affect me when doing any sit ups etc to the point where it would bleed.
    Went to the doctor and they recommended having the bone shaved. After much thought and discussing the lengthy recovery with it I decided not to go ahead with the op. Now as long as I’m not Sat on a hard floor or doing sit ups etc it has been ok so you have my sympathies with it. Hopefully in time it will feel normal again.
    Scotroutes
    That must have been a nightmare for her! how did she break it?

scotroutes

Fell off a wall that she was scrambling over!

molgrips
    Free Member

Have you literally been sitting on your arse too much? 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tailbone issues’ is closed to new replies.