Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Tado or Nest – anyone got one fitted?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Happy with the tado. Does what it’s meant to do. They had one big outage near the beginning of the year I think but that all seems to be sorted now. Haven’t done any sort of comparison of how much energy we’re using though.

damitamit
    Free Member

I got Tado a couple weeks ago but its not installed yet. I’ve been busy plus I’m having trouble finding the wireless receiver for my exisiting thermostat (which needs to be bridged for Tado to do its thing).

Alternatively, Nest UK is out! with free installation until next week.

SkillWill
    Free Member

Friend of mine just ordered a Nest. £230 though, that’s a lot of gas savings?!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

He might want to check he ordered the right thing as it’s free fitting until the 8th so he should only have needed to pay £170!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Tado is working well – reminds me that I need to read the meter and see how we are doing compared to last year.

Still like the look of the Nest Thermostat though, especially that you can now place it where you like with the use of the stand.

Owners of the Nest Protect take note: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26879987

tenacious_doug
    Free Member
    willard

They look so toy! I like the look of them and, to be honest, would quite like one, but I think my wife would throw a fit if it meant she’d lose control of the heating.

Is there any impartial evidence of how much money they are likely to save?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Is there any impartial evidence of how much money they are likely to save?

Not necessarily impartial but Tado were offering a full refund if it didn’t save you £120 a year, It’s unlikely they’d do so without a lot of confidence in the money saving on offer. Given the technology in the two is very similar, I’d expect Nest to deliver similar.

ourmaninthenorth

Colleague has ordered his Nest (on the £180 offer) for install shortly. Am sorely tempted – our central heating is run off LPG*, and so anything to manage** its use is a great idea in my eyes.

*As someone on here once said, it’d be cheaper burning unicorns
    **The stove is used A Lot, but I live with two burds, so apparently the house can never be too hot… 🙄

damitamit
    Free Member

How’s everyone getting on with Tado?

Finally got round to installing mine last week and it’s been working well. I still think it’s learning my schedule, but the way it turns off the heating when you leave it pretty good as my schedule can be sporadic sometimes. No more heating an empty flat every evening I’m out.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I am also interested in Nest users experience. thanks for any info

andysredmini
    Free Member

I had a nest installed the week they were released in the uk (cant remember when that was). It is a really good product. We needed a new thermostat and programmer anyway which with installation wasn’t far off the introductory installed price of the nest (£170 ish) which does the same job. Its so easy to use and much easier than the outdated interfaces on most programmers. Set up was easy and never had any problems since. The app works well and makes setting up a heating schedule a doddle. We also like being able to turn the heating on remotely if heading home early or delaying it coming on if back late. The dumb system we had before meant that to have the house at a certain temperature at a specific time I would just guess and set it to come on around an hour before hand. The nest works out from outside temperature and saved history of how long the house takes to warm up and knows how long to put the heating on to get the house to the right temperature at the right time.
    I will never know if it will save me any money as we only moved in to our current house last year and have also had cavity wall insulation done since last winter.
    I would buy another without hesitation. Its a stunning looking piece of modern design that works very well.

ourmaninthenorth

+1 andysredmini

(though of course, because Google owns Nest, it now knows when I am and am not in my house.)

Rickos
    Free Member

Nice to hear. Just bought a Nest this week and waiting for it to be installed.

Mintman
    Free Member

I like my Nest. I installed it myself – I’ve not got a complex heating system and with a multimeter and some basic electrical knowledge it was fine.

The Nest seems to do everything I expected but as for savings – I’ll need to wait for a couple of cooler months to find out.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Thanks – that’s really helpful 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

I fitted a Tado for my mum back in May – it is working nicely and she is surprised at how little oil she has used. I fitted it myself after waiting in vain for Tado to get someone to fit it for me. Installation was easy and *very* well documented on the website.

Our experience are influenced by the fact that the previous thermostat had been knackered for I don’t know how long and the house was getting left with the heating totally off when people were out and then heated to Death Valley levels when people came home. It is now pleasantly the right temperature whenever someone is home.

The best thing I think I can say about it is that you pretty much forget that it is there – it quietly does its thing without making any sort of a fuss or needing intervention by anyone, which was an important consideration for me as I am responsible for it and my mum is in another country.

I would definitely recommend one to other people.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

+2 andysredmini
    The savings I’ve had since fitting the Nest have been considerable. That said I don’t doubt I could have got a chunk of those with any thermostat, as I had nothing before.

SkillWill
    Free Member

I fitted a nest myself recently and am really pleased with it. The AutoAway functionality has definitely saved us money, and the schedule it comes up with is very efficient.

I took a load of (albeit crappy) photos showing how I wired it up because it really isn’t difficult you just need to take care. I’ll try and post them up here – it may save a few others the £70 professional install fee.

IA

Interested in anyone that DIYed their nest install (and experiences in general).

Just have a stock british gas timer at the moment, so upgrading to something that actually holds a temperature rather than just blasting the heating on could be good.

All the gadgety goodness is appealing too…

zigzag69
    Free Member

The best thing I think I can say about it is that you pretty much forget that it is there

Agree with cranberry re: Tado. It just works.

Fitted ours about 3 weeks ago, still in the novelty stage of checking the website, looking at the daily report. It maybe lets our house get a wee bit too cold if we’re all quite far away for several hours, so it doesn’t really have time to get completely up to temperature by the time we get back. I’m sure a phone call to Tado could correct this, but it’s saving me money, and if it’s a wee bit cold for 30 minutes to an hour as the house warms up after we get back, it’s hardly the end of the world. Saving me more £ too.

woffle
    Free Member

hmmmm. Just noticed Tado do a rental option for £5 a month…

damitamit
    Free Member

zigzag69, would changing the comfort settings slider attempt to fix this? If you moved it more to the comfort end it might be more aggressive in reaching the desired temperature.

footflaps

Still not switched the CH on yet this year, been really mild in the SE.

cranberry
    Free Member

In the first few weeks it’ll need to learn what amount of heating your house takes in a given circumstance ( outside temp, weather, indoor temp ) to get the house up to the right temp when you return.

With my mum’s place in summer it was initially doing the opposite – overheating the house because it was unsure of how sunlight would affect the heating of the home each morning.

It’ll learn. 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tado been working well here for about a year now (I got fed up waiting for the Nest last winter.) It started to turn the heating on again about a week ago. Does seem to do a good job of learning how quickly the house heats up and combining it with the forecast and it comes on at different times each morning. Someone’s in pretty much all day at the moment so probably not saving us as much as it could do if we were in and out all the time.

zigzag69, if you turn the “comfort” setting up a bit it won’t let it get as cold when you’re out.

They did have a minor issue last winter when their servers become unavailable (DNS issue I think) and it resulted in not being able to turn on the heating! They’ve since changed the local implementation so this doesn’t happen again.

zigzag69
    Free Member

zigzag69, if you turn the “comfort” setting up a bit it won’t let it get as cold when you’re out.

Aye, comfort settings already at max. The comfort slider could probably do with being a bit more granular actually, since there’s only 3 settings – left, middle and right.

Speeder

Fitted one of these at the weekend having heard about it on here. Was pretty easy to do though it would be nice if they sent you an overview of the instructions rather than you working through it bit by bit as you go.

I quite like it and was looking forward to setting it up over the next few days. Only trouble is it seems to be interfering with the internet somewhat as it’s stopping my wife connecting via her laptop. She’s already turned against it and unplugged the thing. Even if it means she’ll get cold.

Anyone else had a similar issue?

Gaz

brant
    Free Member

Probably worth a repost of this, regarding issues with Heatmiser Wifi thermostats when using port forwarding for remote access.
    Vulnerability issues were posted on line and day after my heating came on at 35degs at 6am.

Heatmiser WiFi thermostat vulnerabilities

DrP

Is NEST still offering free installation??

DrP

mrchrispy

dont think so but its pish to install

DrP

Is pish good or bad??!

DrP

(Oh, like piece of pish…)

mrchrispy

sorry, what I mean is….
    terribly easy once you figure out the call for heat switch on your boiler. 🙂

Mine is a Worcester + Bosch and they’ll tell you all day long that a nest isnt compatible. however, it was as simple removing a jumper and wiring the heatlink across that circuit (the box that sits next to the boiler and talks to the thermostat bit).

What boiler do you have?

cranberry
    Free Member

PSA – Tado are doing a discount for Christmas – use the code “Christmas” and you’ll get 15% off today. The percentage discount drops each day until 24th when it is reduced to 4% off.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How do these things work then?

Do they take an internet weather forecast and then hope its right for where you live? Do you need gps switched on, on your phone too, or can it just work off the 3g?

Our boiler directly takes the air temperature from outside the house, which determines how hard it works, which I am guessing is going to be way more accurate?

Plus our existing Honeywell CM927 wireless stat has a leading function, and this cost us loads more money when we tried it.

Genuinely trying to see what advantage these 2 systems could bring me apart from internet control?

jam-bo

Genuinely trying to see what advantage these 2 systems could bring me apart from internet control?

That’s pretty much it. And a nice graph

andybrad

just bumping this. Looking at getting it installed via npower. Working on the same usage rates as this year (only been in the house since feb) the tariff would cost me an extra 40 quid a year. However im thinking that with the nest we could potentially save this.

So worth it or not on an old fan boiler?

mrblobby
    Free Member

G

The presence thing on the tado really is pretty good. Controls house temp relative to how far away from your house you are. Also does a good job of “learning” how quickly your house heats up and adjusts the times it comes on accordingly. You set it all up then pretty much forget about it. Which you don’t really get with Internet control alone.

footflaps

Having got a wood burner, we pretty much never use CH now, so the internet Thermostat is just switched off…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Tado or Nest – anyone got one fitted?’ is closed to new replies.