Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Tadley or Thatcham?
  • dashed
    Free Member

Never thought I’d see Pangbourne compared to Tadley in the same thread!! Two villages at opposite ends of the price bracket, you could not find!!

weeksy

I’ve never been to Tadley, been through it ….

However i’d be wondering why it’s £15,000 less than others, but nicer/bigger 🙂

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Never thought I’d see Pangbourne compared to Tadley in the same thread!! Two villages at opposite ends of the price bracket, you could not find!!

Re: Pangbourne… I just saw that one at £200k there, but if it’s not in a nice spot, that explains it I guess. (I dunno the prices in the rest of the village… I guess it might well be very hefty at the station end but the Reading side? Anyway, I know nuffink, I live in West Reading. If you know the nicer streets to live on you can get a great big house and a decent sized garden. But you certainly need to know the area.)

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Of course the single most important thing is the ease of getting across the bridge at either Whitchurch or Caversham, and up into them there hills. 😀

anagallis_arvensis

You can get a nice big house in west reading for 200k I call that as bollocks!!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Mother lives near Tilehurst station on the oxford road and I can honestly say, I was glad to get out of west Reading like my back was on fire. Wouldnt go any closer than Purley. Evening Robbie, he knows the place better than me. As in all towns there is good and bad. That Tadley one is close enough to Pedal On to be a financial disaster 😉
    Personally, even though the mother in law lives in Silchester, I wouldnt go to Tadley, but the choice is yours. You do have a Sainsburys, but in Thatcham, you have a Waitrose and Newbury is 5 mins away for all the others and DIY and Argos etc etc. Basingstoke isnt far for Tadleyites, but that is neck tatooed knuckle dragger country..If you shop there, you’ll know what I mean.

weeksy

LOL at West Reading 🙂

The drug and ho capital of the south 🙂

I’ve lived in West REading more than once..

Tilehurst isn’t bad though 🙂

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Re: the last one for £185k, that area is fine but that particular house is on a walkway so has no direct road access if that bothers you, hence the lower price.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

(I know this is deviating from the original poster’s request, but I like West Reading. You just have to know where (not) to live, like I say. My street’s brilliant, a proper community where everyone knows each other. And within a 10 minute walk I can buy pretty much any nationality of dinner 😀 But I know naff all about the towns around Tadley so I’ll shush now.)

waterlily
    Free Member

Hello. Sorry to gatecrash as I don’t belong to this forum but came across this thread while looking for information on Thatcham so thought I’d ask as noticed some of you have lived in Thatcham for many years.

We currently live in Theale but looking to move to the Newbury area. Newbury is too expensive and would involve a lot of compromises. Someone suggested Thatcham (though a lot warned against it) but we were encouraged by the fact that it has good schools.We have a child who will start primary next year.
    We are interested in few properties but since we don’t know the area at all and are going completely blind, I would massively appreciate feedback on the following roads/area, crime being our main concern as I noticed from local police reports that Thatcham tends to have a high rate of theft/robbery including breaking into houses in violent ways.
    The areas we plan to visit are the following:

-Fokerham Road (in the catchment area of Francis Bailey and the Kennet)
    -Beancroft Road
    -Glenmore Close
    -Oak Tree Road

We keep getting adverts from estate agents on attractive houses in the “desirable” Moors development. It looks ok from the pics but is it really desirable?

And finally, is Spurcroft primary as good as Francis Bailey?

Thank you so much if you had the patience to read till the end and I look forward to any sort of feedback.

robbieh
    Free Member

Hi Waterlilly,
    I,m a Thatcham postie so will try and help you. The best road IMO is Glenmore cl. Small cul de sac, no alleys but close to train line. There is a high bank so it may reduce noise. The top end of Beancroft is the nicer part as further down are flats with dubious occupants if you know what I mean? So you will get foot traffic going by plus vehicles as there are several closes down there too. Oaktree rd looks to be ok but are older houses so could have bigger gardens depending on which side of the road. No alleys and further along the road might be better than the entrance end again for traffic from joining roads Alexander and Beech . Fokerham houses look nicer down the end but have alleys leading to a green so you may get more people through but it’s close to the Kennet school. I can,t help with schools though as only one of my grand kids is still at school and she,s just started but not at the ones you mention. Hope you find something suitable.

Rob.

Russell96

Used to live in Monk Sherbourne and then later on in Old Basing, both great places to live, at the time I worked in Basingstoke and then a bit later on in Reading, it was quite a contrast between the workplace surrounding and then home. It didn’t bother me adding a bit more time on the commute for a more relaxing enviroment later on. Guess I’m saying be prepared to travel a bit more it can be worth it.

waterlily
    Free Member

Rob thank you so much for getting back. Your feedback is so useful 🙂

robbieh
    Free Member

No worries, give me a shout if you want any more info.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Oi Robbie, get back to building that guitar !!

robbieh
    Free Member

And you get back on that turbo ready for sunday :mrgreen:

anagallis_arvensis

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Looks like we are moving to Thatcham! Derwent Road, hope this place meets with Robbieh and Thrusty’s approval!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

How old is the house? I might have built it 🙂

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Maybe not, just looked at the map and it’s the wrong side of the A4.
    Spent years on and off working in Thatcham.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Downwind from the sewage works!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Mate lives in Ennerdale off Derwent. Good luck with the move. At least we have another local rider as well, so that’s a good bonus. As said, check the wind direction before opening the windows 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Tadley or Thatcham?’ is closed to new replies.