Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tacx Vortex – good or a bit meh?
  • legend
    Free Member

I’ve seen some mixed reports on this so thought I’d see if i get the same mix here.

I’ve currently got a dumb fluid trainer, it works ok but there’s a definite power drop-off when it gets hot. As I’m using Trainerroad’s “virtual power” this makes each session a bit daft and i end up nudging up the % on TR as I go.

My budget is pretty constrained at the moment so the Vortex sticks out as apparently able to do the job. It would be used with Trainerroad (no Zwift as my turbo-laptop is pretty old, but would be nice to be able to try it on a tablet). Would I effectively just end up using the gears to match power as it only does a 7% gradient? Or is it strong enough to pick a gear and let TR ruin your legs?

Only other question would be reliability – quite fancy going second hand to save more, risky?

simonb51
    Free Member

I have one.  Got it to do a few miles on midweek when tight for time and to get the legs moving.  Never had a TT or anything like it before and it does my job.  I use it with Swift and to date it’s been 100%. Only down side i see is the incline tops out at like 7% or something but it never bothers me lol.

Toasty

I liked mine, only used it a year then decided I was so into Zwift I should have a more expensive one, I upgraded to a Wahoo Kickr. The Kickr is definitely better, due to the wheel never slipping under big accelerations, sadly it’s also awkwardly loud compared to the Tacx Vortex. Neither really give the impression of being on the road if I’m honest.

If you happen to be anywhere near Leamington Spa you’d be welcome to borrow (or buy at low ebay rates) my old Vortex. It’s in perfect condition, with all the bits, boxed.

Toasty

Oh and before I forget, the pain of using a trainer tyre on my road bike, that was the other thing I wanted the Kickr for! If you don’t mind swapping the tyre over or have a spare bike it’s no issue. I only have the one road bike, so I was less keen.

legend
    Free Member

Not bothered about “real road feel” stuff as it always feels like you’re sitting in the garage anyway (and my current turbo is horrendous). Trainer tyre isn’t a problem either, I just use whatever is on the winter bike (and that’ll be cheaper than a trainer tyre anyway).

Sadly a lloonnnggg way from Leamington Spa. Did you find tyre slipping happens quite a lot?

Toasty

So-so, once the tyre has warmed up it’s generally fine, when I first start out it used to skip a bit*. It can be awkward trying to calibrate your bike to get the perfect balance of rolling resistance and tyre slipping. Calibration was the other awkward thing with the tyre based trainers. Obviously with my Kickr I just take the wheel out, chuck it on and go. With the Vortex I’d have to swap tyre, ride for 15 mins to warm it up, make sure calibration wasn’t too far off, then go.

Once calibrated it would be fine without faffing for a week or two, assuming I didn’t use my road bike for anything else.

*noting I’m 6’6″ and 15 stone though, I need put out quite a lot of power just to maintain a fairly average watts per kilo. If you were considerably lighter I don’t think it would be an issue.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Had one for last few years been faultless with zwift. They should be cheap pre owned now. I bought cheap second bike, stripped it down and use it setup all the time. Most people have n+1 I guess so why not a dedicated turbo bike. Saves the faff. Tyre dosent slip its not an issue once you’ve set it up correctly. Its a far better turbo than the average rider needs.

njee20
    Free Member

Perfectly reasonable. Biggest thing I find is the delay with Zwift – it takes a couple of seconds to respond to inputs (and to adjust to gradient changes) which makes holding groups marginally harder. It also over reads, flattering your power output.

I’m in no rush to change for the limited use I give it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tacx Vortex – good or a bit meh?’ is closed to new replies.