Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tacx Flux confirmed as broken… what next?
  • Kryton57

Got to go back to Halfords so what to do get a direct replacement, or pay extra for a Flux 2 / something else?

I wouldn’t mind a Kickr snap, but going back the faff of wheel on tyre presssures puts me off…  yet I keep thinking I want a smaller / transportable turbo for taking it outside the man cave in the summer.

Definatly want a smart trainer.

weeksy

TBH the Snap isn’t a major hassle… but it certainly isn’t light.

It has been fairly reliable though over the years and the warranty is good. Although slightly complex on timezones as it’s US based support so can be overlap in timezones for emails etc. But i’ve been more than happy with it on the whole.

Kryton57

Hmmm. I may not have a choice – both Tacx and Halfords Warranty/Returns state direct replacement if possible.

Oh well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    timbog160

Complete tangent but I put my turbo on the patio a couple of times last summer – it felt very odd being outdoors when I could have been riding my bike for real…!

BadlyWiredDog

Have you considered spending slightly more and going for a Kickr Core or reconditioned Kickr, which they sometimes punt out at not unreasonable prices? The Core’s 200 quid more than a Snap, but is wheel off and virtually silent apart from the drive train.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Neo

Kryton57

Confirmed by Halfords I can exchange for something else and pay the balance.

So, from their site and in the range of affordability:

Tacx Flux £0

Taxc Flux 2 £250

Elite Drivo £200

Elite Direto OTS £210

…are my choices

?

avdave2

I’ve been looking at both the Flux 2 and the Snap, with Halfords discount both around the same price. I use a wheel on very dumb trainer now and it’s no hassle as I have a bike permanently on it and it’s on the warehouse at work so noise isn’t an issue, especially as it’s sat right in front of a pa. I’d like wheel off but any googling of Tacx seems to come up with far too many issues for something at that price point. And in all honesty who can really believe that Garmin will improve that any time soon.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just got a flux 2, early days yet but seem to be working fine…just need to learn how to use it properly. I pondered a bit around the Flux 2 vs. Neo v1 for the additional £160 or so, but decided to stick to the flux 2…the additional features of the Neo v1 didn’t seem to be worthwhile, for me at least.

tpbiker
    Free Member

What happened to the flux? My first 2 didn’t work out the box, the 3rd is fine. I read that if they are going to break they break within the first couple of hours however.

Kryton57

Just read some Elite Direto reviews including DC Rainmakers.   Decision made!

Ta.

linchpin
    Free Member

I’ve got a Tacx flux. Makes a funny crunching noise when the wheel slows down. Is that normal?

nixie

Just read some Elite Direto reviews including DC Rainmakers. Decision made!

Good choice.

Kryton57

What happened to the flux? My first 2 didn’t work out the box, the 3rd is fine. I read that if they are going to break they break within the first couple of hours however.

I’ve been using it since September 18.   In the last month its been squealing and squeaking very loudly.  Dealt with Tacx NL direct, sent a video, they said send it back ASAP.

hot_fiat

Interesting. a mate of mine had his flux die last week. Started making a whining/wailing noise. I think he got a direct swap for the newer model at halfords.

Alex

I’ve been using it since September 18. In the last month its been squealing and squeaking very loudly. Dealt with Tacx NL direct, sent a video, they said send it back ASA

Mine is exactly the same. Sent video, Tacx said bring it back to retailer. I just haven’t got round to returning it yet. I’m not sure the ‘2’ is worth £250. I’d be happy if they could use get me one that works. This’ll be the third! The first one tho was because they accidentally sold me a returned unit.

Whatever, I’m not going back to a wheel on trainer.

scaredypants

Too late, presumably ….

I have a drivo. It’s great*
    *(was over-reading initially but that was because my old phone wasn’t actually running their app properly, so calibration wasn’t happening despite looking as though it had)
    Has been a shade over 2 years now without any problems or intervention other than regreasing the belt a couple of times and recalibrating every couple of months – doesn’t change much but I do it just to be “sure”

(it’s heavy and also can’t run properly without a plugged in power supply – unless that’s changed for the newer version)

Kryton57

Well, all has gone well to a point.

Swapped the broken Tacx for a new Direto, used the BC discount to get an extra 10% off the Direto which once you do all the jiggering about means I paid £595 for the Direto.  All good.

However – and this was the same with the Tacx Flux – the Direto measures about 10% under my 4iiii, which means I am again swapping my 4iiii about to ensure I have the same power indoors & outdoors.  All the calibration etc is done once warmed etc.

If anyone knows anything about Smart trainers vs cranks please let me know, I’d love to not have to swap cranks.  Never seems an issue for DC rainmaker!

nixie

Could it be that the 4iiii is not reading correctly? Seems very strange that both turbos were the same amount out?

scaredypants

trainer is measuirng power at the hub, not at the crank so should be a bit under due to transmisson loss. 10% seems a lot though – could be your 4iiii is toward the upper end of its tolerance and the direto at the bottom
    Have you calibrated the direto (I assume you do, same as with a drivo)

Kryton57

Could it be that the 4iiii is not reading correctly?

Aha.  Good memory jog.

I had my 4iiii set to 102% output.   Riding them at the same time and correcting the 4iiii to 98% and calibrating them both has them equal.

Damn, that means I all my training workouts are going to feel a bit harder….

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tacx Flux confirmed as broken… what next?’ is closed to new replies.