Tablets left in Ethiopian village – no instructions. Hacked within 5 months.

Home Forum Chat Forum Tablets left in Ethiopian village – no instructions. Hacked within 5 months.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tablets left in Ethiopian village – no instructions. Hacked within 5 months.
  • Premier Icon Lifer
    Subscriber

http://dvice.com/archives/2012/10/ethiopian-kids.php

“We left the boxes in the village. Closed. Taped shut. No instruction, no human being. I thought, the kids will play with the boxes! Within four minutes, one kid not only opened the box, but found the on/off switch. He’d never seen an on/off switch. He powered it up. Within five days, they were using 47 apps per child per day. Within two weeks, they were singing ABC songs [in English] in the village. And within five months, they had hacked Android. Some idiot in our organization or in the Media Lab had disabled the camera! And they figured out it had a camera, and they hacked Android.”

bikebouy

Intelligence will win out in the end.

No matter where you come from or your upbringing or others expectations of you.

Good on em’ I say.

peterfile

wtf?

lock them up. H@ckerz.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I heard this on the radio.

brilliant story about how humans are just natural learners and tool users.

I was just left hoping that they didn’t remove the tablets at the end of the experiment.

and that the kids, having been given a ‘window to the world’ weren’t disolusioned with what they have to live with day to day.

Premier Icon Lifer
    Subscriber

wwaswas – Member
    I was just left hoping that they didn’t remove the tablets at the end of the experiment.

I don’t think they were, donated by One Laptop per Child

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

that’s good.

I also hope that the presence of these devices leads to some sort measurable improvement in their lives and life expectancy.

hammerite

I was going to ask how they charged them, but it says in the article!

They’ll be bidding for your job next week…

hammerite

They’re welcome to it. I might ask andeh for his job in TK Maxx.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tablets left in Ethiopian village – no instructions. Hacked within 5 months.’ is closed to new replies.