Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Tablet owners…what do you use it for?
  • benjii19
    Free Member

Anyone found a way to use itunes on the ipad and link it with a NAS without having to use filexplorer app??

tomhoward

pron mainly films, facebook, games, internet, bit of music. Use it daily, keeps me entertained on the train, and doesnt weigh a ton.

zilog6128

Anyone found a way to use itunes on the ipad and link it with a NAS without having to use filexplorer app??

Plex Media Server running on a Mac or PC will allow you to play your iTunes library on your iPad. No doubt there are other similar solutions too. Is that what you meant? No idea what filexplorer does.

jambalaya
    Free Member

iPad1 – everything. Had it since shortly after they came out (3yrs now). It’s my main portable device (work and personal), replaced my laptop, I have a desktop machine.

Web browsing, posting stuff on here and elsewhere, email, work document reading and markup (via iAnnotate), voice calls via Skype (no camera on iPad1), notes (sharing via iCloud), music, photos (keep lots of favourite stuff there plus upload my camera photos and share iPhone photos via photo stream, movies on flights (outstanding), facebook, youtube and vimeo (midweek mini movies etc), works very well with Apple TV to drive content into TV when I want large screen format from youtube, vimeo, bbc iplayer etc), redbull tv for mtb, etc etc. It doesn’t have a sim card but I use it with my iPhone for web access or better still now I got a 3 mobile wifi unit which is excellent (3 is much faster than T-mobile and I can share with connection easily) – used when on the commute (35 min train ride) or when travelling or away from home with no WiFi.

zilog6128

Just wish I’d bought an iPrint compatible printer

There are a number of ways of using a Mac or PC on your network to act as a print server so you can AirPrint to any printer.

Leon
    Free Member

thanks all.

Some good responses and ideas there. In some ways it confirms my experience – not many people do real “work” on them, but there are a lot of really good consumption things that they are good for.

Surprised no-one said handlbar mounted for navigation while touring 🙂

Leon

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Browsing, eBay-ing, email & Facebook, banking, Youtube, movies, music, playing with custom firmwares, downloading torrents and reading ebooks/magazines. Oh and games… Real Racing is superb.

Have a decent laptop but after you’ve sat on the sofa with a pint and done 99% of the stuff you used to do on a laptop, a tablet makes sense. 32gb Nexus 10

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Leon – my last company had iPhones for work, a lot of people bought iPads personally and used them for work email (this was allowed and officially supported) – if you travel a lot they are much better than a laptop which is bulky and if you use them only for email and reading attachments. iPad battery life is much better than typical laptop too. I use my iPad with iAnnotate a lot for work as a big part of my job is reading documents and marking them up with changes and comments.

IanW
    Free Member

Listening to Music
    Watching Movies
    Facetime
    Reading the news websites
    Buying stuff online
    Emails.
    Reading this pap
    Playing Games
    Reading Books.
    Reading Magazines.
    Watching online vids.
    Browsing.
    Checking the weather
    Keeping notes(passwords etc)
    Sonos controller
    Diary

It also allows me to have a proper phone with a battery that lasts a week+.

donks
    Free Member

Ipad 2 here.
    Use it for Bog all…
    It doesn’t run cad, revit or sketch up so its no good for me. The kids have it on permanent YouTube (12 yr old) or cbbies (4 yr old) until they go to bed at which point the wife catches up on all number of ghastly soaps….. Horrid thing wish I’d never bought it.

CountZero

all the underscores and symbols and stuff when entering passwords

Underscores are no problem with the iPad, any more than hitting the shift on a physical keyboard. Symbols can be obtained by tapping and holding various keys, but they’re pointless in passwords anyway, lots of sites will only accept alphanumeric with caps, hyphen and underscore anyway.

Ipad 2 here.
    Use it for Bog all…
    It doesn’t run cad, revit or sketch up so its no good for me. The kids have it on permanent YouTube (12 yr old) or cbbies (4 yr old) until they go to bed at which point the wife catches up on all number of ghastly soaps….. Horrid thing wish I’d never bought it.

No imagination, some people.
    Mine gets used for everything I used to use my very expensive, and now rather old laptop for.
    And more; I have several hundred ebooks across a number of readers, I use weather apps extensively, it’s the remote for plating music on my audio system, all the photos I take with my Lumix are loaded onto the pad with the camera kit, I have a number of editing apps like perfect photo and Filterstorm which I modify photos with, as well as all my web browsing, Internet banking, shopping and ticket buying.
    AutoCAD is available for the iPad…
    http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2011/06/autocad-2012-full-on-ipad-yes-you-can.html
    https://www.asme.org/engineering-topics/articles/technology-and-society/10-ipad-apps-for-engineers
    http://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad-360/overview

piemonster

The Internet

Not Pron. I have a dedicated laptop for that.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah was gonna say I though a-cad was available on iPad.

I do like my weather apps too but find it strange the range of temps you get across the apps – well, here in Oz they all seem to be quite different. The only ones that seem entirely accurate get their data from the BoM.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Tablet owners…what do you use it for?’ is closed to new replies.