Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • Tabata Training. – Anyone done?
  • iDave
    Free Member

you’ll be fine!

you could deflate the tyres a bit on the turbo for more resistance!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Sorry to interrupt, but can you do tabata on rollers?

Tabata is the only session I do not do on rollers, not sure I’d stay on them. I’ve got rollers with built a resistance unit, but I’d guess I’d be struggling to get enough resistance on normal ones.

stever
    Free Member

Another set on the treadie, 18.2 kmh at 2 degrees. Clearly wasn’t trying when I started them at 16.5. Did a set on the turbo in the kitchen, but my children were poking me, so less scientific.

Hilariously, my ’20s effort’ pace is still considerably short of top marathon pace.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

So. Just tried this on the turbo. 10 mins warm up, 4 mins of hell, 6 mins warm down. Anything I’m missing

molgrips
    Free Member

Vomit?

jam-bo

Not quite

dr_death
    Free Member

Not doing it hard enough then…..

😉

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Need to read these threads when I’m less tired, but some of the circuit training sessions I go to have time sections on various exercises like burpee’s press ups and such like, very intense, although part of a longer hours session it sounds like I could just to the short burst sections myself and that would class as tabata training.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not really – Tabata is very specific. If you do it slightly differently then it’s not Tabata and will have a different effect on your body.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’d love to know how the body changes differently based on Tabata or full blown circuits for an hour?

When I do circuits I go for max the whole time, and it flipping kills me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Max for a half hour session isn’t the same as max for 4 mins, is it? By definition.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I try to though. Admittedly the inensity starts to drop, but I’m still going as hard as I can. I think circuits are probably a great way to over do it.

spacemonkey

Did my first tabata session on Monday and I thought it was alright TBH. Did it on the fly by adjusting the watts (Tacx 2200 running TTS 3.5) manually. That lost me 2-3 seconds of time while each spike spooled up so today I created a program (using TTS 3.5) with a 10 min warm up @ 80-110W, then cranked the intervals up to 280-370W with 70W inbetween. Worked a treat. Change in resistance was immediate so no lag. Felt great. All in all, far easier than doing it manually.

Will give this a whirl for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Don’t have any time for additional training – only one ride since New Year 🙁 So hopefully I’ll shed some timber and up the fitness.

zilog6128

I tried my first session (on a rower) on Sunday and then again yesterday. Was really feeling it by the third interval and the 7th/8th were a struggle but doable so I think I’ve got the intensity right.

I’m riding quite a bit at the moment and have recently started running to keen to see how much the Tabata will help! Like you though I’m looking for max. improvement with min. time/effort.

spacemonkey

Like you though I’m looking for max. improvement with min. time/effort.

Yep. 15-20 mins 4 times a week is about all I can manage for now. Am sincerely hoping it makes a difference.

I guess you’re keeping the same resistance throughout and then giving it the beans for those 20 sec bursts? Can’t be a nice experience on a rower 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

New version of Endomondo Pro now has some interval training guidance built in – including Tabata

zilog6128

I guess you’re keeping the same resistance throughout and then giving it the beans for those 20 sec bursts?

Yes, I think a rower is ideal for intervals because you can change the intensity instantly just by rowing harder or gentler. You really can give it 100% for those 20 seconds.

Can’t be a nice experience on a rower

No! Still, it’s only 4 minutes!

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think I could do it on a bike, I haven’t got suitable roads. I suspect it could be more effective running due to using more muscles, but again the pavements aren’t so flat which makes it hard to sprint flat out.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Bike is dangerous IMO.
    Rower is good.
    I’m figuring that running on a footy pitch is a fair bet.

spacemonkey

Yep, rowers seem to breed deceptively strong types too.

I remember doing a session next to a Sri-Lankan looking girl a few years ago. There was hardly anything of her but she was really giving it some. IIRC I was one setting below her but could only pull at maybe 80% of her pace. I did my usual distance for 10 mins and left her to it.

The weirdest occasion was seeing a really unkempt (and I mean genuinely tramp-like) bloke spend 40 mins going absolutely flat out. Only saw him that once and that was the only piece of kit he used. Was a bit odd.

molgrips
    Free Member

Footy pitch not long enough, at least not at first. I don’t think road need be dangerous if it’s open enough or up a big enough hill.

zilog6128

I remember doing a session next to a Sri-Lankan looking girl a few years ago. There was hardly anything of her but she was really giving it some. IIRC I was one setting below her but could only pull at maybe 80% of her pace. I did my usual distance for 10 mins and left her to it.

Technique counts for a lot on a rower but I think they are very useful for fitness training as they engage a lot of mucles.

Very safe for intervals because you can concentrate 100% on the effort and not worry about being hit by a bus or tripping over a wonky paving slab!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Footy pitch not long enough, at least not at first.

Eh? You can turn, can’t you?

iDave
    Free Member

Footy pitch for me, as there are additional grassy bits at the edge

Diagonal if the pitch is enclosed by a wall.

spacemonkey

Diagonal if the pitch is enclosed by a wall.

You been training at Broadmoor again?

molgrips
    Free Member

Eh? You can turn, can’t you?

Not when going flat out! Diagonal might work with the extra bits, I dunno. There is one nearby.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Surely in your sprinting hey day you used to be able to go around a corner?

damo2576
    Free Member

I do tabata most weeks, cut down to about 10 secs though and a little more rest, fewer sets etc.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I do tabata most weeks, cut down to about 10 secs though and a little more rest, fewer sets etc.

Ummm. Yeah I do the same. Except I’ve stopped going to 100% on the work sets. I only do 3 of them and make them about 10 mins each with 5 mins rest between them.

trickydisco
    Free Member

😆 @ TSY

damo2576
    Free Member

Ummm. Yeah I do the same. Except I’ve stopped going to 100% on the work sets. I only do 3 of them and make them about 10 mins each with 5 mins rest between them.

Sounds interesting, will give that a go, was finding my variant a bit hard.

Who the hell is Tabatha anyway?

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely in your sprinting hey day you used to be able to go around a corner?

A very wide one yes 🙂

Surely that’s not Tabata then? The point is the really short rest period, if you are having longer rests then you are wussing out.

maxray
    Free Member

Spotted that addition on the Endomondo update druidh… might have to give it a go.

stever
    Free Member

Turbo on the patio. Fortunately the neighbours are on holiday. Ideal lunchtime session, all done in a few mins and seems to mix ok with a long run in the evening. Goosed now like, rehydrating with gin and that. For the quinine.

nick3216
    Free Member

I’d love to know how the body changes differently based on Tabata or full blown circuits for an hour?

There’s a comparison of Tabata and other types of training high intensity intermittent training here…

http://www.sportsci.org/jour/0101/cf.htm

I did them in 2004. They hurt. There was vomit. They worked.

nick3216
    Free Member

10 mins each with 5 mins rest between them.

That’s more Stepto than Tabata.and does not provide the greatest gain. You can’t push yourself as hard for 10min as you can for 20 seconds. Which is the point.

Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Tabata Training. – Anyone done?’ is closed to new replies.