• This topic has 34 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by ahsat.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • T6 LWB – camper and garage ideas
  • ahsat

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxrHh6mHIcr/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

We picked up this LWB 150 bhp second hand Highline T6 at the weekend. Absolutely delighted with it. Huge step up from our 8 year old Vivario.

Plan later this year is to convert it into a camper with bike garage. Needs to fit two adults and two bikes. Like the Vanguard type garage conversions. Debating what to do with the camper side – thinking using a SWB type plan but we won’t be able to access the rear/base of storage by a rock and roll type seat if we do this due to the garage. Also need to have a half decent bed as my back plays up a bit. Won’t do a popped roof as we have kayaks to put on top, so it will definitely be ‘metal tent’ style. Have considered sticking a small gas stove in to try and change the status with the DVLA (we were going to do the rest of the things anyway). Any photos, links or ideas to inspire would be most welcome.

ahsat

If anyone can get the Instagram image to embed, please do! I cant work it out!

a11y

I’ve got a crap back too and didn’t find the RIB bed in our T5 that comfy, and that was supposed to be the best of the lot apparently. We added a memory foam topper which ate into our storage, but helped me greatly. Keen to hear what beds others suggest too…

Despite having full kitchen setup in ours we rarely cooked anything big inside the van. Tended to use a Cadac or stove outside to avoid cooking smells, and that was with a pop-top. Will be even worse without one.

Camper status with DVLA does raise your speed limits but apart which is of small benefit, but apart from that an insurance I wouldn’t worry about fulfilling that criteria if it means you could sacrifice cooking for a better bed.

Wouldn’t be without a fridge though.

phil5556

Have a look at an Amdro Angel conversion, it’s what we have and is excellent. I’ll get you some pics later.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

If your just worried about ticking boxes with the cooking equipment, fit a microwave, fulfills the criteria.

ahsat

If your just worried about ticking boxes with the cooking equipment, fit a microwave, fulfills the criteria.

Tbh we were just going to cook outside like we’ve always done with the tent and old van, but realised it was the only part of the DVLA thing that meant we could go back to Nationals speed limits. It’s not the be all and end all for us, just keeping it in mind.

It is difficult to boil a kettle of water for a coffee in microwave though! Which is the main use we’d make of it.

oldtennisshoes

steveh

You could have a door in the bulkhead splitting the garage from the living area to access the area behind the bed? or some beds could have access through underneath to the rear if for smaller items.

alpin
    Free Member

A dedicated sleeping and separate garage?

You’ll be seriously compromising space for both.

I’ve a LWB T5 with a pull-out bench/bed and a pop-top. Space for storage/cooking/living is already tight without bikes inside.

Bikes go on the tailgate for the most part (beefed up gas struts). Have made a fork mount thingy for both bikes that I’ll use for long motorway trips or when the weather is wet.

If I were to build a camper again, it’d be a high top Ducato/Sprinter.

phil5556

This is ours, the front is a full camper, table drops down in between the seats to make up the bed. The back is a massive boot, which we don’t actually use for the bikes, they go on the back. If you moved the parcel shelf up or built a bulkhead instead then the bikes could go in.

phil5556

If I were to build a camper again, it’d be a high top Ducato/Sprinter.

Our next one will most likely be a Ducato, but still only a shorter one. Permanent bed at the back that you can sleep across the van on and room to stand up will be luxury.

And they can be made to look not bad too

cb

Or splash the cash on a Grand California!

IHN

Yup, Amdro as above.

ahsat

Thanks Phil. That’s really useful

I were to build a camper again, it’d be a high top

Yeah ideal world (my parents have just bought a beautiful Sprinter) but we don’t have space for it (we live in a terrace house where it needs to get round the back lane) and it is our only transport (as the rest of the time we cycle and train to work) so can’t justify the cost of it being in storage with a car for the supermarket once a week.

It’s certainly going to be a compromise. I’m thinking of it more like a metal tent. But worth bearing in mind space issues. Thank you.

ahsat

You could have a door in the bulkhead splitting the garage from the living area to access the area behind the bed? or some beds could have access through underneath to the rear if for smaller items.

Totally not considered this very sensible idea. Doh!

ahsat

Think I’m being very special. I can’t see that Andro set up on their website for a transporter…

Do they still do it or is it a special order thing?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nice Van and welcome to the club, I’ve got a SWB T6 140 Kombi, they’re ace.

There’s a chap on insta billy_mtb who is doing pretty much what you want to do to his almost identical T6, check it out.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

A dedicated sleeping and separate garage?

You’ll be seriously compromising space for both.

I’ve a LWB T5 with a pull-out bench/bed and a pop-top. Space for storage/cooking/living is already tight without bikes inside.

Yep. A layout that allows bikes, sleeping and cooking would be optimistic. Might just be possible for two i guess.
    We can cook and eat as a four inside our t5 with the bikes in the van. But there’s no way we could sleep with the four bikes and all our other crap in the van.
    Also, the bikes got scratched to hell, so we stopped doing it and got a bike rack

ahsat

There’s a chap on insta billy_mtb who is doing pretty much what you want to do to his almost identical T6, check it out.

That is absolutely the sort of thing we are thinking. That bed design is amazing. Hummm…long drive from Leeds to see the guys in Cornwall, but some great inspiration.

so we stopped doing it and got a bike rack

Having had 2 bikes nicked from the inside of a locked van 3 years ago we’ve got a bit precious (also goes to show putting them inside doesn’t solve everything either!).

alpin
    Free Member

I’ll try and pay some pics later of the van and the layout.

phil5556

Think I’m being very special. I can’t see that Andro set up on their website for a transporter…

Do they still do it or is it a special order thing?

You’re right, it’s not in there anymore 🙁 he has been concentrating on the boot jumps more recently.

If you were really interested there’s a good chance they could make you one. The guy that runs it, Iwan is really helpful and a nice guy, if not always the quickest at getting back to you.

IHN

There’s a few vids on YouTube of the Angel kit, I think they are only doing them to order now

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=amdro+angel

Andy

I self converted a 2013 T5 SWB panel van a couple years ago with a similar idea, a few of the things I did were:
    – Bulkhead out, windows in, insulated and carpet lined.
    – Fitted captains chairs on turntables in the front – essential to make best use of space and what was available from Amdro put me off at the time as it used the space just behind the swivel seats.
    – Leisure battery, mains & 12v fuses, 12v charger and other electrics under passenger front seat. Hookup under bonnet. All from travelvolts.net. Under drivers seat is empty at the moment for future Eberspacher.
    – Sliding California bench bed on full length rails, from Oxford T5, so in winter slide all way forward for bike carrying. Uses a rear shelf on legs and mattress topper to get full length.
    – Side galley from Evo design with double hob, sink and top loading fridge. Nice quality kit, but my units are 400mm deep so makes for a narrower bed. I would maybe look at narrower units next time for a wider double bed.

Still need to put an additional cupboard/gas locker in and at some point will get the roof done. Bike(s) go across the back and need to make a frame to hold them, without wheels on. I dont have a dedicated garage, as like to use rear window and keep van flexible.
    You obviously need to think about how intend to use, but from previous vans probably have a good idea about this. PM me if want more details. I owe P20 for route info in quantocks/lakes from about 10 years ago!

ahsat

Thanks Andy. Really useful. We may well drop you a line in due course (though not sure we remember about IOUs)

wallop

We’ve done it – LWB T6 with an Amdro Angel and a fully sealed bike garage in the back with a massive storage drawer underneath. Front wheels off and fork mounted, fits two bikes in fairly easily. PM me if you would like some photos.

We are well chuffed with it.

ahsat

Awesome wallop. Will do (probably tomorrow – sleep now!). Thank you.

ahsat

Wallop – message sent 😊

Sorry for the delay – busy week of Uni marking fun!

steveno

Have a look at my mates company he’s just started up might be just what you’re looking for,
    https://www.instagram.com/built_creation/

ahsat

Flicking back through some photos and thought I should update this with the final outcome for anyone looking for similar inspiration (given how much I’ve searched other peoples ideas).

Initial conversion phase done professionally including lithium power system and solar. Collected 2 days before lockdown.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-AbmBSHZmO/?igshid=nvuip7nl8p6o

Fitted bike racks which allows for full sus to road, and everything between (hopefully the new 29er builds fit!!). Really pleased with the set up as keeps the mud separate.

Some daft little storage ideas as I like to be organised

View this post on Instagram

Starting to make the van our own #mtbvan

A post shared by Natasha Barlow (@ahsatb) on

We decided against the pop top in the end after living with the van a bit, chatting with a lot of people and considering the cost and ended up building a bed/storage idea that worked around the new Dometic fridge, gave us a king-sized width bed and storage for clothes etc. Thanks to much help from my Dad on this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CETcOXCnMAU/?igshid=1xhycwh20j2qo

Ikea mattresses cut to fit on top.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEY49PTnFpa/?igshid=bg5hmxa3lxur

I think it was @welshfarmer who summarised it on another van thread, that for small vans just see it as storage and somewhere to sleep. That has really stuck with me. We have a single ring induction hob and 2 gas camping stoves which we can use to cook outside as needed (and inside with the induction if really wet!). Having camped for 30+ years I wanted to the keep the CAMPER in campervan. Let’s see how it is to live with – proof is in the pudding, etc!

Thanks STW for all the advice and inspiration.

surfer
    Free Member

Kitchen, gas, water and electric all in (just some work this weekend on lights and switches etc) then bed fitted on Tuesday then almost all done 🙂

">T6 LWB

ahsat

Nice one @surfer – that is very smart. Are you putting bikes inside or out?

We decided we didn’t ‘need’ a kitchen but come back to me on that at the end of winter 😂

MoreCashThanDash

Great to see some of the finished vans that get discussed on here, with tweaks and changes as people go along 👍

wallop

Oh god, I was supposed to send you some photos of ours and I completely forgot!

ahsat

Haha @wallop. No worries. But does make me feel better as I was reading through this and couldn’t remember for the life of me what you had done, but that explains it 😜

ahsat

Should add that given the DVLA rule changes, we never tried to fit the new requirements to get the classification changed.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘T6 LWB – camper and garage ideas’ is closed to new replies.