T5 transporter with auto gearbox?

Home Forum Chat Forum T5 transporter with auto gearbox?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • T5 transporter with auto gearbox?
  • Premier Icon boxelder
    Subscriber

My brother has had one for a couple of years and likes it. He’s not fussy mind ( not that I’m accusing you……)

godzilla

Just borrowed one for a 1900 mile round trip and loved it, the van has done 88k and the owner hasn’t had any trouble with the box, i did use the van a couple of winters ago and the auto box wasn’t so good in ice and snow.
    i wouldn’t let it put be off, i see it as a bonus.

Premier Icon steveh
    Subscriber

They are known to break and rebuilds are about £3k. How old is the van and what’s the mileage? How long do you plan to keep it?
    Nice enough to drive but as usual thirstier than the manuals.

Premier Icon rickmeister
    Subscriber

vw T5 Forum, all you wil ever need… great resource of helpful people.

jim25

Its a 56 plate with 80k. Would be keeping it for at least 2 years. Its also been remapped to 180bhp to help with fuel economy

lasty

Mate had one for his micro-brewery, highly rated it until some old dear pulled out on him and totalled the front – they crash pretty well … apparently 🙄

Premier Icon steveh
    Subscriber

How long has it been remapped? The 174’s are known to kill the boxes faster than the 130’s so the remap would concern me.

jim25

I’ve been looking around at a new van for a while and haven’t really found one that ticks all the boxes.
    However, a friend of a friend is selling his t5, 130bhp, electric everything, pretty much all the gadgets/toys on it for a real good price – he just wants the trade in value for it.
    But its an auto box not 6 speed manual. I’ve driven many manuals before but never in a van or diesel.
    Has anyone got any first hand expereince with one of these?
    I’ve searched google but the only results I get are the usual horror stories you get on any vehicle!

Premier Icon johnikgriff
    Subscriber

Not much help for a long term test, I have a 180 with a DSG. Done just over 20k and its been brilliant. Currently in the Apls with wife, 3 kids and my folks. Loaded up with bike racks and roof boxes, gearbox never misses a beat. Best auto box I’ve ever owned and I’ve had a few.

jim25

I’ll find out how long its been mapped. I’m going to see if I can borrow it for a day and see how we get on!

jim25

Think I would prefer a straight 6 speed manual 130brake model, but just can’t find one for the same money as this one is going for

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘T5 transporter with auto gearbox?’ is closed to new replies.