• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by llama.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • T5 Seat question
  • iolo
    Free Member

I need a van and need 3 seats. I’ve seen a T5. This one. It only has 2 seats. How easy would it be to convert to a three seater? Or am I better off looking at another vehicle?

VanHalen

You can get a front bench or rear seats fairly easily.

A couple of hundred quid. It wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Dead easy – straight swap IIRC. Theres usually people wanting singles to swap for doubles as well so it might not even cost you!

jam-bo

Most people are converting the other way so it should be pretty easy. It’s more like 2 1/2 seats than three.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Easy 4 bolt swap..

iolo
    Free Member

Ho hard is it to put another seatbelt?

jam-bo

Central seatbelt is integral to the seat.

iolo
    Free Member

Thanks

cannyj
    Free Member

Bear in mind that the bench seat is a 6 bolt fitting so you will need to source replacement studs to go in the floor and nuts to fix the Base to the floor. The Base is big and heavy, even more so with two people sat on it. If you stop suddenly….

oxnop
    Free Member

As the others have said its really easy. I’ve gone the other way to this in last week and to give you an idea I sold the drivers captain chair plus the twin plus the bases for £400 – that’s from a 2015 van. That was cheap but if you go through eBay I reckon you can get a double for £150.

Easy to change, I’ve just removed the bulkhead and as it was welded to the floor I had to remove front seats, easy job 10 mins with the wife giving me a hand. You will need the additional bolts as its a 6 bolt base but if you google it it’s an easy job.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have a twin passenger seat with or without Kiravans swivel base for sale, located in Edinburgh.

iolo
    Free Member

I’m just outside Vienna. Can you deliver?

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Thats not going to be cheap, there is a lot of weight and its a fair old size, so would have to go on a pallet!

iolo
    Free Member

Thanks but I’ll pass then. I’ll just keep looking for other vans in the meanwhile.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I also converted from a twin seat to a set of single captains seats. As has been said it’s easier to convert down as the single seat only uses 4 of the 6 fixings – which are captive nuts set into the floor pan. To go the other way you will need to add 2 fixings (which probably won’t be there) with reinforcing plates etc under the floor.

You will also need to check out the passenger airbag situation as going from a single passenger to a double may require a different set up. Mines a 2004 so doesn’t even have a passenger airbag anyway. But for insurance purposes you need to get it right.

I sold my double seat for £50 on eBay – which is what they seem to go for. Also DO make sure you get one with a folding back (rather than a fixed one) as these are much more useful & sought after.

The doubles are pretty uncomfortable for passengers though – particularly on long journeys – so I would make sure you try one out first….

pryally
    Free Member

I’ve got a double from a 2008 which is free if anybody want to collect…near manchester

llama

people practically give the double seats away as most people want to go from a double to a single

the double seat is extraordinarily uncomfortable as it does not recline and is near enough a right angle

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘T5 Seat question’ is closed to new replies.