Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • T-Mars/Ice Lift/etc. – are they are created equal.
  • jam-bo

warranty support aside, are there any major differences between the versions/branded types available is is it a case of buy the cheapest off ebay?

jam-bo

Anyone?

billyboulders
    Free Member

My ebay tmars experience –
    Worked perfectly, if a little clunky, for ten miles or so then the cable frayed out of the lever (miles from anywhere and in the low position, ride/push back was a bugger!) Replaced cable, post again worked perfectly for ten miles or so then started to slip out of the top position.
    As it was still only a few days old I returned it, received it back a couple of weeks later (after a few emails to chase it up and a few less than friendly emails in reply from the seller)
    I was told it needed “a 0.5 mm adjustment which we have done for you.” The adjustment seemed to consist of soaking it in WD40, it was absolutely dripping with the stuff. Fitted it and it was exactly the same as when I had returned it.
    Got a refund.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alexdodd
    Free Member

I’ve only had experience with the t-mars, it’s not ideal, as said a little clunky, mine hasn’t really fell apart though. A little rotational play that doesnt bother me at all. All in all, its cheap and so far its worked, occasionally needs a bit of help with my thighs “up”, but it’s still a helluva lot better than no dropper, it was also a fraction of the price, I can afford to buy another 3 before I even start thinking maybe I should have looked elsewhere. Given there are still issues with pretty much all the dropper posts one way or another…

If it does break, I will just take it apart and fix, it’s a simple unit and very serviceable. Very much like the gravity dropper.

Simon

I considered a T-mars/Ice Lift, in the end I picked up a used Gravity Dropper turbo multi for £70, which sounds like it was a better buy.

jam-bo

for reference, I already have an Ice Lift V8. I’m happy with how they work.

just wondering if the £65 Tmars ones on ebay are the same.

buck53

just wondering if the £65 Tmars ones on ebay are the same.

As far as I know, yes. I believe some sellers state this explicitly in their listing.

I have an all but new Tmars 2012 version, only ridden circa 50k in it so far but it’s working well so far, takes a bit odd getting used to but I’m pleased for 50 quid. I’m heavy but don’t anticipate any problems that can’t be fixed from my early experience.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

There are different versions depending on the year. The easiest way to tell is by looking at how the cable enters the post.

I ended up stripping mine down completely before I had even ridden it but I’m very happy with how it behaves now, light oil seems to work much better than the heavy grease it came with.

Lots of detail here:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tmars-dropper-cable-replacement

dantsw13

Mine is the Ice V8. After a strip/grease no problems. Cable tension a bit diddly to get right. If you set it so that the lever throw is nice and short, the pin can self retract allowing the post to change height.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘T-Mars/Ice Lift/etc. – are they are created equal.’ is closed to new replies.