Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • T in the Park – Advice please.
  • seadog101

So I went a bit mad and have got a pair of tickets for T in The Park.

As STW is seemingly full of cool, intelligent and savvy people (..?) I’d just like a wee bit of advice from those who have been before.

I’ve booked a hotel in Perth for the three nights. I know this goes against all the golden rules of festivals, but I hate camping, and you won’t change my mind on that front.

So what options do I have about coming and going to/from the site? Is taking the car to/from a stupid idea? I know there are buses, how does that work out?

I was thinking of splashing out on the Residence, but there’s an outside chance We could be arriving on the Sat (work schedule), and it’s a lot of money to spend and not get the benefit.

I’m going with my daughter, 16, and this is just as much a treat for me as it is for her! She’s madly into many of the bands who are on, plays in a band herself, has worked/is working bloody hard at school and deserves this. Also, she writes this blog: Stream of Sound, which is pretty good (but then I would say that..).

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I live a short Taxi ride away so never actually used the buses but as I understand it; you go to the bus station and get a T in the Park bus – like it says on the tin, really. Except that the bus will be full of jazzed up neds which best avoided… At the end of the night you get back on the Perth bus to go home. If you take the car you can’t drink, access in and out was not too bad so far as I can see, every year, that is trundles through my town. But you will need a Citroen saxo VTS with a Baked Bean can exhaust to fit in 😉

BTW I went back in 2009 and thought is was fn terrifc.

seadog101

Thanks Hills, bus seems like a do-able plan.

Northwind

We camped one year, it was freezing, you’re not allowed any fires, and we were surrounded by dunderheads trying far, far too hard. I love festival camping but it wasn’t much fun. Oh and totally excessive amount of walking to get in, which peeved me no end, we ended up camping within about 250 metres of where we got off the bus but we had to walk for miles to get there because of the maze of fences.

Anyway- that’s just to let you know that not camping isn’t a disaster.

Driving- I got a lift in and out one time, it wasn’t too bad. But then that was one of the years where it was insanely hot rather than horrendously wet, there’s been years where quite a lot of people had to wait for a tractor to pull them out.

Shuttle bus- only done this from Edinburgh. It’s fine. Getting up is easy, getting back, well… Don’t expect an orderly queue. If you’re not mad on the headliners, bail a couple of songs early, otherwise run like **** to the buses, it’s totally worth it!

It’s a really good festival, tends to be pretty diverse- lots of big pop acts but a sprinkling of good picks elsewhere (Nine Inch Nails headlining a big stage was a highlight, bloomin amazing) The site’s quite good- though they’re always changing the layout, last year took a long time to get from stage to stage. There’s usually good food, easily accessible beer… And yeah, lots of pissed up idiot kids but also you get more, er, mature people as well. It’s not really my musical taste but I’ve never had a bad T in the Park, even on crutches or in a flood.

gazza100

I’m in a similar situation but still at the planning stage My son, who will be 13 1/2, wants to go to a music festival this summer but not TITP. I was considering Latitude but it’s a hell of a long drive from central Scotland.

jodafett

I’m in a similar situation but still at the planning stage My son, who will be 13 1/2, wants to go to a music festival this summer but not TITP. I was considering Latitude but it’s a hell of a long drive from central Scotland.

Try the Wickerman Festival. A lot of my mates who were die hard TITP fans wouldn’t go anywhere else. Its supposed to be really family friendly. I’ve never been so if you go and its crap it was nowt to do with me 😉

dirtdiggler
    Free Member

I live down the road a bit and generally drive/ mates bus depending on how i feel.

You can get the bus from Perth, means you can drink etc.

You can park at the site and get raped for the overpriced parking (overly expensive just like the tickets)

You can park in Kinross and walk to the site, takes about 15-20 minutes but your with hundreds of others as its generally the drop of point for mums/ dads/ taxis/ buses etc at the Burger King at the roundabout. This is the option i got for. Means you cant drink to much but youve saved money and can get a quick getaway.

somafunk

Not to blow our own trumpet but we organise the dance music tents/arena at the wickerman festival 😉 , we stay 5 miles away from the site and yeah, it is a cracking wee festival (18,000 folk) that is extremely friendly and whilst it is a large festival site you are never more than 5 mins walk from any camping area to gain entrance into the main arena site, check out my flickr pics from a few years ago or have a look at my vid of our dance tents in 2011, it’s a slow start but it’s worth waiting for Tim n” Jez fae the Utah Saints followed by Simon (other mate who organises the tents) and finally Mark Pember to close the night(meat katie).

Arghhhh,……can’t embed vid so follow this link below

Wickerman vid

We’ve got Primal Scream headlining this year so it should be quite a wild weekend 😀

sc-xc

Wickerman line up pisses over T in the Park.

Mind you, I’m off to Bearded Theory & Willowman this year…much prefer proper festivals than the ‘big gig in a field’ event that passes for a festival these days!

jodafett

@somafunk do you know (manga) Dave and his sister Gayle by any chance?

somafunk

If by Dave you mean “Big Dave n’ Gayle” then yeah – their house was/is right behind mine – big dave and gayle used to always do the wickerman aftershow party’s at their house, ohhh the stories i could tell of DJ’s being led astray for days at a time 😯 , Meat Katie (mark pember) was meant to play at Glade the following weekend after the wickerman one year – not a chance…..he went native in this area and was “lost” for days n; days – his agent was going apeshit 😀

Big dave ^

Meat Katie totally broken last year on the sat afternoon in the pub, with my bro offering him moral support in the form of a pint of Hoegarden

You heading down this year?, if so pop along to our tents and introduce yourself.

jodafett

That’s the fella! I’m meeting up with him tmo. I’ve never made it down to Daves parties but my wife has been a casualty there before! Dave always slags me for being a “bike pipe” so its good to know there’s mtb back-up out there. If I make it down I’ll give you a shout, maybe I could do a wheelie across stage when Bobby’s on!

solarpowered
    Free Member

How fabulous seadog! You and your daughter are going to have a brilliant time! *dinky bit jealous in a good way*
    I’ve been a number of times and the one time i was made to stay at a hotel in Perth, I used the buses every morning to get there and evening to get back. Can’t fault them at all! Dead easy to find… Really easy to get on (although I would take north winds advice to get on quick if possible…. And I felt safe all the way! And I had to travel alone a fair amount.
    Buses is definately the way to go for you both… It’s safe, cheap and actually quite a lot of fun!
    Have a goodun you cool cool dad! 🙂

somafunk

Sounds like we both enjoy a decent night in/out jodafett 😉 . Dave’s best mate down here (guy called roger but that’s not his name – loooong story) is a total bike-pipe, he’s got a very old “flying Scot” fixie track bike fully restored with original period era stuff, and countless other colnago’s and such biking exotica – Roger is a local legend of his own making, i was about to post a pic of Rog’ in full flight/drunking night out mode but on second thoughts he’s breaking 3 laws in one pic so i’d best not.

Tell dave you were speaking wi kenny 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

wickerman for me this year, much prefer it.

jodafett

Kenny, that’ll be Alan Berrill Graham Lancaster Jardine aka Benald then. I’ve spent many a long weekend wi that pipe. Might see you in the summer 😉

somafunk

The very one and only indeed 😀 , any weekend spent wi Rog’ is a long weekend, usually due to it rolling into Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday as well – I take it you know “paisley” as well? – went down to London two years ago as Lee Coombs was having his album launch party in a club in shoreditch, met up wi Paisley on the night and it went squirrely from then on in, ended up in the most random house party in Brixton till 5pm the following day, random folk in a random party but it was a cracking lost weekend.

roll on the summer, or the last weekend in July anyway……… 😉

jodafett

If your ever gonna be led astray, John “don’t go changing” Paisley and Rog’ are probably the best guys for the job!

Apologies to the OP for the blatant hijack but it’s not everyday you randomly bump into somebody on the same wavelenght!

seadog101

@dirtdiggler

You can park in Kinross and walk to the site, takes about 15-20 minutes but your with hundreds of others

So is there plenty of parking space available there? Does it bother the locals with their town being invaded and the streets full of festival goers vehicles?

What about taking in something containing essentials? and I do mean small too, something for keeping rain off, something in case the sun comes out.. As little as possible really.

TBH I think the bus is getting my vote at the moment.

jodafett – Member
    Apologies to the OP for the blatant hijack but it’s not everyday you randomly bump into somebody on the same wavelenght!

Apologies not needed! Helps keep the thread alive and gets people reading it. 😉

dirtdiggler
    Free Member

Its not that theirs lots of parking but if you park sensibly there wont be a problem. Id suggest the bus is a better option mind as you can drink a bit.

When i used to go, me and the wife would take a bag with waterproofs etc in it,youll get checked at security but not a problem taking stuff in.

Enjoy.

seadog101

Thanks DD,

I don’t want out time being a misery because of not being equipped, and also I don’t want to be burdened with too much clobber!

next on the list is a camera that will stand up to the rigours.

SD

Northwind

These days I take my camelbak- they’ve banned the reservoirs now though, the absolute pricks. But cycling kit is mostly good festival kit too- compact waterproof, thermal base layer (it’s a long day and can be bloomin cold once the sun goes down). And a camelbak’s a good place to keep it- comfy and ergonomic and all, discovered it’s no bother to wear one in the pits etc.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘T in the Park – Advice please.’ is closed to new replies.