Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • T-handle torque driver 1/4 hex
  • the00
    Free Member

After 20 years of spannering by ‘feel’, I fancy upgrading my toolset with a torque driver. Can you help me find what I want?
    The Park ATD-1.2 looks ok, but only has a handful of torque presets.
    The Lezyne torque drive requires careful use to see torque applied.
    I would really like a mechanism that ‘clicks’ like a traditional torque wrench. I’ve found a couple but only in 1/4″ square, and I’d prefer hex.
    I’ve seen some torque screwdrivers, which I suppose could be used with a bar trough the handle…

the00
    Free Member

Continued search has found the Sealey STS104…
    https://assets.sealeyb2b.co.uk/Images/WEBMain/STS104.PNG?w=580&h=580&404=Awaiting_Image.png
    But I’d prefer a mechanical tool rather than electronic.

Marko

Standard STW answer:

Vast range of drives, torques and styles available.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

I bought the Lifeline essential torque wrench set after seeing it recommended on here.

Seems well built and serves my needs for bike stuff. Not a t-handle though.

Lifeline Torque Wrench

the00
    Free Member

Marko
    Standard STW answer:

err, thanks. But not what I’m looking for.

NewRetroTom

I don’t understand what you’re after or why. Is it something to carry with you on rides? If not why don’t you want a “traditional” torque wrench?

oldtennisshoes

Not quite T-handle, but maybe the wera?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/torque-screwdrivers/8757559

trail_rat
    Free Member

Didt know I needed that but ots…… I want that.

Getting the torque wrench out of its special case from its special drawer to undertake it’s one task is a pleasure up there with lighting the log burner or mixing 2 stroke for the chainsaw.

My wrenches are 5-25 -20-100 and 80-200 so this would fill in the below 5 area nicely. Maybe Santa will be nice to me.

the00
    Free Member

Looks about right, thanks. Having a big long torque wrench seems a bit OTT for an M4 bolt, and small tool like this is more likely to be out on the bench and get used.

kimura54321

@trail_rat Wera also do 1.2-3.0 nm straight torque 1/4” screwdrivers, so you would have the full range basically.

Had to buy one annoyingly this year after getting a fancy coffee grinder of all things that needs the face plate screws tightening evenly to 3nm in steps.

the00
    Free Member

I should definitely have stopped looking and just bought one by now:

https://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/products/giustaforza-ii-2-16-pro-anniversary/

jonnyrockymountain

Silca t ratchet torque kit

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have two Part Tools presets, one at 4Nm and one at 6Nm.

That covers 99% of the applications I actually use a torque wrench for (bars & stems, basically) and they’re so easy to use, which is a big thing for me.

igm

And now from Topeak, something you can carry on the trail…

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/226-Torq-Tools/1156-NANO-TORQBAR-X

£35 if you look about.

The individual torqbits are cheaper still, but they are fixed settings 4, 5 or 6Nm

sv

I use a beam torque wrench for the 0-10nm range eg

nealglover
    Free Member

The nano torqbar x is good in certain situations, but can’t be used for loosening bolts with the extension on, only tightening as it doesn’t have a lockout. And no ratchet either.

I returned mine when I realised, as I would need to carry an extra fixed extension for reaching anything that needed loosening, and the lack of ratchet function was also a bit poor.

Now have the ratchet rocket ntx and it’s just as portable, carries all the bits I need (rather than just 2) and a chain tool too.

igm

@nealglover – agreed, one direction only.

I effectively carry a ratchet rocket ntx on the MTB and a ratchet rocket ntx+ on the gravel bike (bit more space in the MTB pack).

I worked out that by shopping around it was cheaper to buy the parts separately and I get a few extra bits and bars as a result.

But you have a good choice of tool there.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Just bought one off eBay. Came from China in a nice wee box. Spent the night removing bolts, cleaning, greasing and torquing.

Delivery was quick. Think it was 5-25nm and $26 AUD delivered. Seems to work.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘T-handle torque driver 1/4 hex’ is closed to new replies.