Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • T-130 or G-160 ? Decisions decisions…. Hmmmm
  • weeksy

Was thinking about a bit ‘more’ for an Alps jaunt next year along with BPW etc. I’m guessing the G-160 is basically just the T130 but a bit more ?

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2625038/?directtofirstphoto

I can get a grand for my T130 from a guy i know, it’s a 2016 in a large, so essentially very very similar to the G160. But the G160 does have the advantage of being boost, whereas the T130 is non boost.

I’m not doing the XC racing thing, so outright speed really isn’t an issue, but it’s about 1kg more than the T130 i think, however i can lighten it with the Pro4’s once i get a boost converter kit for them.

I’ve not really researched the G160 though, so don’t know if there’s anything in particular i need to know about ?

timbog160

As you say it won’t be radically different to your T130, but it will offer quite a bit ‘more’ for the downhills. I had the ‘works’ version so it came with Eagle and better brakes. For anything gravity oriented the T130 is still a fine bike, but I think you will find the 160 better still. A very underrated bike in my opinion, and I still miss mine having upgraded to a G170.

mashr

Think that one might be a little over priced, I paid £1,200 for mine. Although the fact it still has the sissy-guard on the back wheel would make me think it’s had an easy life (OTOH I’m sure I’ve seen G-170s for the same price on Facebook recently)

Yari isn’t great so worth factoring in a damper upgrade.
    Suspension is very regressive, but can be sorted with a load of volume spacers
    Shock isn’t great but does the job.
    It’s a nice bike, assuming you like long bikes

weeksy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Whyte-G-160-RS-27-5-650b-Mountain-Bike-L/293198653387?hash=item44440067cb:g:VrgAAOSw1m1dX~Im

There’s this one too but i must admit i am not keen on the colour, ridiculous as that sounds.

Blokey with the Pinkbike one will take £1350… but i can’t persuade him to go any lower than that.

stevedoc
    Free Member

I loved my 160 and like wise a friend who had the 130 loved his , both great but for me the 160 was the better bike mainly for my size being tall,and that extra 30mm made all the difference null

weeksy

Mmmmm looking at the geomtry it is indeed VERY long.

The T130 is a TT of 631mm with the G160 being 656mm both in a Large.
    The G160 in a medium may actually make more sense being 637mm for the TT. Which would make it closer to the T130. I’m all for a bit of LLS geo, but that may be going a bit too stretchy for me to get it in a large.

phil5556

I’m probably not as gnarly as some but my 130 has just done 5 days in Morzine and has done fantastically. Off to La Thuile and Pila now for another few days.

On a couple of scary bits I’ve overheated the brakes so am looking at upgrading but other than that it’s been great.

The 160 probably would be a bit better but I wouldn’t want to swap it just to have the better bike for my holiday, the rest of the year it would be too much for what I usually ride.

weeksy

I’m probably not as gnarly as some but my 130 has just done 5 days in Morzine and has done fantastically. Off to La Thuile and Pila now for another few days.

On a couple of scary bits I’ve overheated the brakes so am looking at upgrading but other than that it’s been great.

The 160 probably would be a bit better but I wouldn’t want to swap it just to have the better bike for my holiday, the rest of the year it would be too much for what I usually ride.

Arguably my riding echos that and the t130 was great in the Alps thus year and better than my ability.

I’m sticking with plan B which was last night’s “forks for trail” and putting my revelations in my boys bike and the Fox 34s I’m planning/hoping to win tonight into mine.

transporter13
    Free Member

I’d wholeheartedly suggest a 160…mine is hands down the best bike I’ve ever had for all round riding.
    If your near me, I have a medium you could try in kettering

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Love my 160 that I bought off hopefiend on here, it’s great! If you’re anywhere near Yorkshire you’re welcome to have a go on my medium

weeksy

Down south ish guys in Berks. My local neighbour has a M I can try. But currently I’m thinking the t130 is s better plan

phil5556

I’m sticking with plan B which was last night’s “forks for trail” and putting my revelations in my boys bike and the Fox 34s I’m planning/hoping to win tonight into mine.

I plan on keeping mine for a good few years. I might look at upgrading the damper in the fork the next time it needs a service.

And I’ve just bought a set of Guide Ultimate brakes since my previous post (cheap on CRC. 2017s with a short rear hose that will need changing).

transporter13
    Free Member

I’d suggest a go on your neighbours 160 as they are quite different to ride.. The t130 are a lot more nimble on the slow tight and twisty stuff but nowhere near as nice when the speed picks up or on the steep stuff.. Whereas the g160 is just an absolute riot, paired with a 170 fork up front to raise the front end a bit.. It just feels like a mini dh bike.
    This is mainly down to the front centre difference between the bikes.. About 40mm which makes loads of difference

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘T-130 or G-160 ? Decisions decisions…. Hmmmm’ is closed to new replies.