Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Syringes and silicon hose (Need to bleed brakes)
  • canefrog
    Free Member

I need to bleed my SLX brakes following shortening the lines.

The bleed kits seem rather pricey for a syringe and a length of silicon hose. Is there any cheaper source for a syringe and / or silicon tube?

Also, is there a difference between shimano light mineral oil and automotive light mineral oil (other than price)? Anyone know if I can use LHM+ ?

I’ve not bled brakes on the bike before (done cars several times). I assume I just add clean fluid via the bleed nipple in the caliper and remove bubbly / old fluid from the master cylinder. Which seems sensible, but the opposite to a car?

zangolin
    Free Member

Syringes of Ebay
    Silicon tubing from the local model shop (fuel pipe for rc models)

zangolin
    Free Member

double post

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

IIRC the car stuff is quite a bit thicker, but still works.

I bought a big bottle of shimano oil, it was probably £8 more than a big bottle of halfords LHM+, but in the context of £150 of brakes it seemed silly to cut corners seeing as that’s £8 that’s lasted over 10 years of brake bleeding so far!

Also for SLX brakes you’ll need the funnel doodahhh.

And as it’s mineral oil it’s pretty mild stuff, windscreen washer hose from halfords works well enough at the calliper/syringe end.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Syringes and silicon hose (Need to bleed brakes)’ is closed to new replies.