Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 169 total)
  • Syria: Is it war or not?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

This judgement….we think….a clear pattern…has been established….

Spot then deliberate mistake?!?

richmtb

It really amounts to nothing more than strong circumstantial evidence.

It could be summarized as “Government forces have CWs, there is no evidence rebels have CWs. Only rebels and civilians died in the attack therefore it was very likely carried out by Govermnent forces”

While I can’t deny the logic, if this is all the evidence I would say it falls short of the burden of proof required for unilateral military action

binners

Much as I like wreckers idea, I think the option of nuking the entire region is infinitely preferable. I can’t see why anyone outside Israel isn’t pushing for it. The options only on the table for a couple of years, til Iran gets its grown up toys. Might as well get on with it now.

As for Millibean: I can presuming the conversation in the office went something like:

“What’s Tony said on the subject? Riiiiight…… Right…. Ok…… Can someone draft mr a speech saying the exact opposite of that?”

Kryton57

So why is Cameron so determined to involve us in this war?

yossarian
    Free Member

when is the next election?

binners

Dear god! I’ve heard primary school children with more authority than Ed Milliband! Listening him stuttering about going to war is absolutely ridiculous! It’s like listening to a 6 year old justifying his position.

chewkw
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

So why is Cameron so determined to involve us in this war?

Because every PM in office has been involved in some sort of war directly or indirectly.

If Cameron wants to maintain his profile he too must have his “winning” war(s) otherwise history will judge him as the weakest of all PMs. Which means no book publication, signing or speech giving and leading to future mega income obsolete.

🙄

ohnohesback
    Free Member

“So why is Cameron so determined to involve us in this war?”

Well, recently, when he’s woken up in the morning, his ‘glory’ isn’t what it used to be… it’s his age you understand; the changes that happen to all men of a certain age… in fact Sam Cam has been feeling quite let down and unsatisfied about it all. Making disabled people homeless no longer really does it for him now, he needs something more; so he’s developed a fetish about imposing himself on vulnerable people overseas now. Once he’d finished his opening speech he had to rush to the nearest loo; I bet he could barely contain that eruption of pleasure, a feeling he’s not had for many a year…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Wrecker I have it on good authority that there are some other commando units in the area as well, not just 3 commando, training for deployment.

wrecker
    Free Member

Wrecker I have it on good authority that there are some other commando units in the area as well, not just 3 commando, training for deployment.

Ummm, 3 commando is the brigade which all commando units are within.
    Many are on the med tour at present, which gets diverted on a regular basis……

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Heh kk. The amount of damn names the different groups have gets confusing.

dazzlingboy

FFS did anyone just see the news? Dropping napalm on a school playground? Surely we must do something. Almost in tears watching that report.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Is napalm classed as a wmd?

Why should we go to war based on dead children, we killed plenty ourselves in iraq.

No, will our intervention actually saves more lives than its long term consequences kill.

scotroutes

The “No”s have it.

wrecker
    Free Member

Phew! That was close!

nick1962
    Free Member

Cut the head off the snake and then let the people decide.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Tiny wee bit of faith restored in politics.

Pigface
    Free Member

Government defeated, no strike on Syria

project
    Free Member

at least it keeps us plebians minds off a failing bank and shop chain,high cost of housing to rent and buy,high unemployment,covered up by educational courses of dubious merit,a failing nhs,failing established companies and a failing high street, higher fuel costs due uncertinity in the middle east, and the start of XFactor on saturday.

oh and the vote has refused cameroonoboomas wish to bomb innocent people.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Liking wrecker’s idea alot. Can’t see any way that our involvement would end well or really save lives in the long run. I take ernie’s point but still prefer leaving them to fight it out amongst themselves till Russia/China lay down the rules.

project
    Free Member

hopefully cameroon and vague will now resign and let some other talking head take charge,somebody who doesnt live on the shoulder of obooma.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Bet Tony’s happy anyway, he’s gutted the ability of Britain to go to war due to massive public cynicism. Tony in his desire to show Britain is still an international player has done precisely the opposite.

Bahahahaarr… the cockwomble. He probably doesnt care though.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Russia/China lay down the rules.

Two countries that appear to have their heads screwed on when it comes to invading/attacking other nations.

wrecker
    Free Member

Two countries that appear to have their heads screwed on when it comes to invading/attacking other nations

I don’t think their track record is any worse (!) than Americas!

bruneep
    ninfan
    Free Member

one things for sure, If Assad uses CW again, Miliband is doomed! 😯

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Both votes no – a pleasant surprise. I hope that the BBC is correct in concluding that this rules out us joining any US-led strikes.

scotroutes

Clegg refused to rule out the use of UK-owned facilities (e.g. Akrotiri)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

one things for sure, If Assad uses CW again, Miliband is doomed!

Why is that for sure ?

Opposing “punitive” strikes against Syria is very much in keeping with the wishes of the British electorate.

And Labour are a minority party in the House of Commons, for Cameron to lose the vote required MPs from his party to vote against.

I don’t see any reason why Miliband might be be “doomed” by any future events in Syria. His political fortunes aren’t tied up in the developments of a middle eastern country.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I think we should butt out of the civil war down there. Let some other country waste lives and money on the futile mission of trying to change a culture that is so vastly different from our own!

Sabre rattling politicians should face a tour of duty on the front line. That’d shut the bxxtards up!

somafunk

Doh!, i had two threads open and i posted this below on the wrong thread, so i hope no one will take offence if i bring/copy&paste it over here where i thought i had posted it……anyway i’ll add to it seeing i’m here now : I’ve not heard any politician raise this issue but i think it is incredibly suspect that chemical weapons were used when the UN inspection team were on the ground in Syria, Obama all but promised that any such reaction or escalation to use of chemical weapons would lead to US involvement which realistically means an end to Assad/syrian regime however you parcel it up, and as for this evidence that Cameron mentioned? – publish it all.

If we (collective western nations = US/Europe) should remove ourselves from meddling in the middle east as some have mentioned throughout this thread then i trust that we will also remove ourselves from support (military and political/financial) for Israel and let them stand on their own so to speak?, perhaps that will irk some people on this forum but it’s exactly what i would say to someones face so i believe it’s a fair comment to express and in no way supposes any disrespect to what happened 70+ years ago before i get shot down.

From other thread below

Being devils advocate here and trying to see who benefits from an airstrike/regime change/possible ground war in Syria leaves one neighbouring country out in front, I don’t buy it that Assad/syrian army sanctioned or used chemical weapons when the previous week Obama laid out a clear intention that if such weapons were used then the US would intervene, not to mention use them when UN inspectors were on the ground?, he may be crazy but that is hanging upside down bat-shit crazy. – Say what you like about Assad, and i’m sure he does deserve his reputation as there is no doubt he is as despicable and ruthless as he’s made out to be but i do not think he is suicidal, nor do i imagine he wishes his government to fall due to US led airstrikes which is the only possible outcome he could expect if he used such chemical weapons against his own people.

Is it really above suspicion that a neighbouring country could have committed such an atrocious act to finger the Assad regime and engender it’s removal?, if syria does fall then Iran may be next and then?…….

Someone is stirring the shit in the middle east.

IMHO of course.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

As to the track record and credibility of Russia and China, one is a regime that will execute and persecute someone for being gay, and who has a terrible and recent post war record for geonocide on a massive scale. The other is a regime where their own people dish out unbeleivable cruelty to each other even when there isn’t a civil war going on. But they are no worse than us.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the question was their record on invading other countries not on how they treated their own citizens

stewartc
    Free Member

I don’t understand why Israel would want to destabilise Syria, they were about to start negotiations regarding the Golan heights and that borders been very stable since 73, why would they want some Saudi sponsored nutters as neighbours instead of the very stable regime (like Jordan and Mubaraks Egypt).

zokes
    Free Member

the question was their record on invading other countries not on how they treated their own citizens

Well , Georgia wasn’t that long ago, and the Chinese are having numerous stand offs with their neighbours over disputed territory…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Well there’s a surprise! I went to bed expecting a rubber stamp vote, only to wake up and hear on the World Service that the mouse has roared. Will Cleggeron resign? No, but they ought to, given that they couldn’t win a vote on such a fundemental issue of that such as peace and war. I’m sure that despite the “I get it” speech that they’re planning some kind of workaround. We’ll probably be shown yet more convenient atrocities and will be implored to Think Of The Children. As for Miliband, he’ll get a short-term boost from his success but, true to form, he’ll fail to capitalise on it.

chewkw
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member
    I’m sure that despite the “I get it” speech that they’re planning some kind of workaround.

I am sure the winner will be UKIP …

dazh

I am sure the winner will be UKIP …

Judging by how gutted the likes of Paxman et al on Newsnight were last night I think the big losers are the journalists and news organisations who are not now going to be able to report on it. They looked like someone had p*ssed on the their chips.

project
    Free Member

BBc news are currently running the film about kids being burnt in a playground, so very tragic for them.

But will the bbc be there showing the massive death and destruction when and if cameroooon and obooma finaly decide to bomb inocent people, women and their children, all just so they canshow to ignorant people that they are in control, and hopefully win a next election.

No the bbc subsidised by the governmnet will keep the governmnet line and say the bombs only killed naughty people, and if innocents accidently got kiled , they whhere just in the wrong place.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Syria: Is it war or not?’ is closed to new replies.