Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 169 total)
  • Syria: Is it war or not?
  • zokes
    Free Member

duntstick
    Free Member

They should pinch his bike, nowt is worse than having your bike pinched!

gordimhor

Edited

gordimhor

Cannondale the bike of choice for tyrannical purveyors of injustice.
    Actually maybe he stole it

kimbers

gordimhor – Member
    Cannondale the bike of choice for tyrannical purveyors of injustice

not necessarily

is that a trek that putins riding?

hora
    Free Member

Lets create more people who hate/want to bring terror to the UK?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I notice that, following their (partially) successful African adventure, the French are now enthusiastically rattling sabres along with the best of them.

Allons enfants de la Patrie,
    Le jour de gloire est arrivé !

gordimhor

Wonder what cmd would ride …my money’s not on a Boris bike.

gordimhor

In fact my money is on a tag along with Obama .

Karinofnine

I’m with Vickypea and Ransos. I’d like a proper answer to why it’s ok to kill people with, say drones, but not ok to kill people with sarin gas?

No, this is just a trumped-up excuse for war. Just like Iraq was. A tissue of lies. There’s something else underlying it, the real reason is probably financial.

Oh, and I bloody well hate that smarmy twunt **** Tony **** Blair too. Slimy, mealy-mouthed, lying media-whore.

wrecker
    Free Member

Don’t hold back, Karin. Let it all out. 😀

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m with Vickypea and Ransos. I’d like a proper answer to why it’s ok to kill people with, say drones, but not ok to kill people with sarin gas?

Churchill held the same opinion. He was all for gassing the Germans.

kimbers

I think youll find churchill gassed iraqi kurds too

kimbers

As for why chemicals are a ‘red line’?

according to the UN…..
    100 000+ alleged deaths so far in 2.5yrs

and estimated 500-1300 in the chemical attack – thats 5-10% of all casualties in a single day and at least 100 of those children

I suppose that a gas is able to spread farther and therefore increase the risk of civillian casualties??

Im not sure thats any sort of justification for an retalliation and after all you wouldnt want to actually hit any chemical stockpiles

zippykona

So using the forum as a snapshot of society most people don’t want another war.
    Can someone call up The Dear Leader (one paper today called him “Heir to Blair” can he sue?)and say not to worry and leave it to the Yanks.
    I assume Honduras aren’t really that bothered and its as irrelevant to them as it is to us.

kimbers

I think whats amazing is how easily clegg has dropped his party’s traditional anti-war stance
    and bizarely its labour who are apparently insisting that the government get a UN mandate?

dave360

Somewhere in Afghan, earlier.
    “right lads, do you want the good news first or the bad news”
    “Good news please Sarge”
    “Pack your bags we’re leaving”

grum
    Free Member

Interesting….

Not sure how much credence to give it but it seems the Mail story was genuine, and quickly pulled.

“US Backed Plan to Launch Chemical Weapon Attack on Syria and Blame it on Assad Government”

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I suppose that a gas is able to spread farther and therefore increase the risk of civillian casualties??

Indeed. The nerve gas attack happened a couple of miles or so from the centre of Damascus.

As this map shows :

Staying in a hotel in the centre of Damascus was the recently arrived 20 strong team of UN chemical weapons inspectors. The day of the attack was apparently quite a windy day in Damascus.

Perhaps the Syrian regime were trying to gas the UN inspectors ? !!

And possibly themselves !!

piemonster

according to the UN…..
    100 000+ alleged deaths so far in 2.5yrs

and estimated 500-1300 in the chemical attack – thats 5-10% of all casualties in a single day and at least 100 of those children

Pardon? My maths is awful, but doesn’t that require an extra digit somewhere?

kimbers

Pardon? My maths is awful, but doesn’t that require an extra digit somewhere?

nope youre right its my maths thats bad!

deepreddave
    Free Member

Surely we need to leave it to their neighbours to step in and resolve this? I know the UN can be a toothless organisation at best but there comes a time when we need to not follow the US in being self appointed guardians of world civilisation (or something like that as our track record isn’t very good….).

scotroutes

6 Typhoons en route to Cyprus to “protect our assets”.

zokes
    Free Member

And so it begins…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Surely we need to leave it to their neighbours to step in and resolve this?

Well Saudi Arabia and Qatar are arming the rebels, Iran is backing the Syrian government, and Lebanese militias are actively fighting in Syria. You could say that their neighbours are already actively involved. And the conflict has now started to spill into Lebanon, there’s very good reasons for believing that it could have far reaching consequences throughout the region, these type of conflicts usually do.

kimbers

I think Ed Milliband has upset some people at Tory central office………

The Government could not contain its fury. “No 10 and the Foreign Office think Miliband is a f****** c*** and a copper-bottomed s***. The French hate him now and he’s got no chance of building an alliance with the US Democratic Party,” said one Government source.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article3854838.ece

wrecker
    Free Member

think Miliband is a f****** c*** and a copper-bottomed s***

Whilst I actually laughed, is this really how we expect our political elite to behave?
    I’m quite happy with milibastard today, not just for stopping the govt making a grave error, but also for unfuriating some ****.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Yes, but it’s all just posturing and choreography, as is this so-called ‘debate’ today. Regardles of the outcvome of any vote, he UK has committed itself to hanging on to Obama’s shirt tails.

scotroutes

We have to. Up at Rosyth there’s a big boat being built and another to follow, plus we’re committed to several billions of pounds of fancy aeroplanes. If we scaled back UK military involvement around the world to stuff we should be doing there wouldn’t be enough sailors and pilots around by the time they are ready.

zokes
    Free Member

plus we’re committed to several billions of pounds of fancy aeroplanes

Worse, we’re spending billions of pounds on fancy aeroplanes that don’t appear to work particularly well

wrecker
    Free Member

Personally, I’d take every single man jack out of the middle east.
    Take all of the money (every single pence/cent) spent by the allied forces on the various ME wars and invest it in finding a viable alternative to oil. The middle east would be poorer, but much safer. They can then get on with whatever they want to do. We’d have a cleaner planet and (hopefully) cheaper fuel.

zippykona

Wrecker….spot on.

zokes
    Free Member

Now there’s a sensible idea!

Coyote
    Free Member

I like it wrecker. Unfortunately it wouldn’t get off the ground as it would not allow 2nd rate wannabes like Tony B. Liar, CMD, William Vague and Nick “Bastard!” Clegg to preen and posture, showing what big important men they are. It would however give Ed “Splinter Arse” Millibland something else to fence sit about.

Nice idea though and a vote winner for me.

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s a pipedream. Never happen; the oil boys have too much power.

Plenty more ideas where that came from!
    Military should be used to protect the planet (with a no f***ing about policy); Shoot dickheads chopping down rainforest, sink whalers, kill rhino/elephant poachers etc. Like greenpeace but with fast air. The brains could then set about ending famine (even with some GM if necessary) using the military to effect it.

cheers_drive

think Miliband is a f****** c*** and a copper-bottomed s***.

Very Malcolm Tucker

richmtb

Like greenpeace but with fast air.

Nice idea.

Lets give the whale hunter guys Nimitz class carriers and take it from there

zokes
    Free Member

Yep, I reckon the Nishin Maru might just lose if it tried to ram SSS Nimitz!

Klunk
    Free Member
    kimbers

The government has released a statement saying that Assad dunnit

except they havent actually shown any evidence
    not even a dodgy dossier

how are MPs supposed to vote on war based on no evidence??

here it is……

We have assessed previously that the Syrian regime used lethal CW on 14 occasions from 2012. This judgement was made with the highest possible level of certainty following an exhaustive review by the Joint Intelligence Organisation of intelligence reports plus diplomatic and open sources. We think that there have been other attacks although we do not have the same degree of confidence in the evidence. A clear pattern of regime use has therefore been established.

Unlike previous attacks, the degree of open source reporting of CW use on 21 August has been considerable. As a result, there is little serious dispute that chemical attacks causing mass casualties on a larger scale than hitherto (including, we judge, at least 350 fatalities) took place.

It is being claimed, including by the regime, that the attacks were either faked or undertaken by the Syrian Armed Opposition. We have tested this assertion using a wide range of intelligence and open sources, and invited HMG and outside experts to help us establish whether such a thing is possible. There is no credible intelligence or other evidence to substantiate the claims or the possession of CW by the opposition. The JIC has therefore concluded that there are no plausible alternative scenarios to regime responsibility.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Syria: Is it war or not?’ is closed to new replies.