Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Synology app advice, please, hivebrain
  • duntmatter
    Free Member

I’ve got a DS212j holding all my music and films, and it works a treat downloading or streaming on the network to devices that are in the house.

The problem is that when I try to DS file, DS video, or DS audio apps (Android) to do the same when out and about (3G or wifi) I get nowhere. I just get error messages.

Following the instructions on the website haven’t helped. Is there something I’ve missed?

cranberry
    Free Member

Do you have DDNS set up on your box, so that you have a host name to access the box by whilst out and about ?

duntmatter
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve got it set up with (myname).diskstation.me

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Mr_C
    Free Member

Have you set up port-forwarding on your router?

cranberry
    Free Member

^^^ what he asked

?

duntmatter
    Free Member

Hmm, not sure if I have. I just followed through a lot of instructions I half understood. I’ll try to find out.

duntmatter
    Free Member

It looks like I haven’t set up port-forwarding. I’m looking at the settings on the router and it’s asking me to name the start port and the finish port for each service.

Looking at the ports here http://www.synology.com/support/faq_show.php?q_id=299&lang=enu how do I tell what to put for the start and finish ports?

Mr_C
    Free Member

For audio station I’ve only used 5000 so without knowing which router you are using I’m guessing it’s expecting you to open a range of ports – not a good thing. I would set the range as 5000-5000 (or 5001 if you want to use HTTPS) so you’ve effectively only opened the one port. I only use audio station but it looks like video station and file station use the same port so you should be good to go with just the one port set up.

Edit: I’ve just looked at my router settings (linksys) and there are separate pages for port range forwarding and single port forwarding – might be worth checking you don’t have the same so you can open a single port.

phead
    Free Member

There is instructions at the bottom of this post for setting up openvpn on android, opening unencrypted ports through the router is a bad idea.

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=173&t=67788

I’ve not tried on android, only via a windows box.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice so far. I’m using a Sky hub, and have now followed the instructions on the sky forum, adding services for DS audio, DS file, etc.. http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Setup-Connection-WiFi/Sky-Hub-How-to-Configure-Port-Forwarding/ta-p/707150

When I try to login on the Android app I see “Connection failed. Please make sure WebDAV service is enabled on your DiskStation” 😕

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Synology app advice, please, hivebrain’ is closed to new replies.