• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jcstreesservice-spam.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Sycamore tree removal.
  • akira

Anyone got any ideas on cost of removing three largish sycamore trees, just ballpark figure really.

wwaswas

no idea but I’d check with your council if there’s any sort of preservation order them as large trees often need permission to remove.

damion
    Free Member

Ballpark? Between £150 and £5000.

Diameter? Height? Proximity to damageable items? Access to tree? Ability to get the rubbish to the roadside?

Pics?

akira

Checking but according to developers there is no preservation order.

damion
    Free Member

Oooh building site? Room to drop them in one? Oh I miss those kinda jobs

akira

All about two storeys, between 10 and 30 feet from house, diameter well now you’re just getting personal. Also I don’t know.
    Access not great, short walk to road.

mintimperial

It cost me £700 to have a large (50-60 year old) Sycamore removed last year. The year before it cost almost £1,000 to drop a whopping great Horse Chestnut, but that was a complicated job about 15 feet from the house. (Both trees were diseased and on their way out anyway, by the way, I wouldn’t have got rid otherwise. I love trees.)

Shop around by all means to get decent quotes, but make sure you get a proper arborist to do it. If you’re considering cutting corners because of the cost, watch these: http://www.urlesque.com/2010/01/13/tree-removal-fails/

Actually, watch ’em anyway, they’re quite entertaining…

damion
    Free Member

About 20′ each then? Gutter height rather than apex of roof? Say less than a foot in diameter at waist height? One main straight trunk most of the way up? Nothing underneath them? (Greenhouses etc?)

Probably a day / day and a half for a team of three. Would cost about £300/£500 round these southern parts. Bearing in mind thats a wildly variable cost, and based on my idea of a perfect tree that can be rained down with groundies that can clear it as fast as I could cut it.

Mind you I’ve been desk based for over a year now, so may just be dreaming wildy 😉

damion
    Free Member

Good god yeah, please don’t get your mobile ‘tree lopper’ to do it. Even if it all comes down safely, some poor sod will end up with all the rubbish dumped across a gateway.

damion
    Free Member

Oops double…

akira

Having another look on Saturday and know the developers have already removed a tree that was too close to some houses, not sure why they haven’t moved these ones though.
    Do CRC do chainsaws?

treefeller
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near Preston I’ll give you a quote. Or email some pics. Don’t forget to allow £100 or so for stumpgrinding.

akira

Cheers for that treefeller but over London way so prob not quite close enough…
    In discussions to see if it’ll get done for us but just thought I’d see how much it could potentially be.

swamp_boy

according to developers there is no preservation order.

Don’t take their word for it, maximum possible fine is £20,000 per tree and get you a criminal record. There is probably a reason they haven’t taken them down.

The council are the people to ask, some have tree preservation order information on their web sites, otherwise its usually a phone call. You can also get into trouble for felling trees in conservation areas.

flip
    Free Member

Love a bit of chainsaw action, never ceases to amaze me how stupid people can be @mintimperial.

timber

probably not that old at 2 storeys, they grow sodding quick so doubt any TPO’s on them, but free to check with council.

damion has covered most of it, all down to tree and location. May be possible to dismantle with a pole saw? But hard to say without seeing it – that would avoid climbing time and cost.
    We put climbing jobs out to tender as we are more forestry focussed. We like our tree surgeons to understand trees and not to be all flash kit – has served us well for weeding out butchers. And obviously, recommendation.

It will coppice up, so will probably want to chemical treat it, either spray regrowth or glyphosate ‘cough’ engine oil ‘cough’ mix on the grooved/welled stump. They don’t take too long to rot out, 5 years patience and you should be able to crumble it away.

Kuco

In that link the muppet who had the tree land on his foot I actually LOL 😆

Coyote
    Free Member

Sycamores are the ‘vermin’ of the tree world. I very much doubt that there would be a preservation order on them. They grow quickly, often at the expense of other indigeneous species. Oh, and did I mention the sap from the leaves?

Love trees, not mad on sycamores.

sadmadalan

Just to repeat what others have said about checking for tree preservation orders. There are two types – one for individual trees and others that cover an area. I know because we have both covering the trees in our garden. Trying to get rid of three – looking at about £1000 – plus costs for the structural engineers report to provide justification for cutting one of them down.

Also check that they are on your land, according to the deeds for the house. Two of ‘our’ trees actually belong to neighbours but are a real pain to us!

Developers tend to cut down trees when they can, so just check with the council!

jond
    Free Member

>Checking but according to developers there is no preservation order.

I think even if there’s no preservation order that may still come under something like ‘civil amenity’. There’s various trees near us that I’m sure haven’t got preservation orders on them but have a notice of work attached during crown lifting/pruning. Some tossy developers also felled a bunch bordering soome of the houses in our close before they were stopped – pretty sure they needed permission to remove them.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Sycamore tree removal.’ is closed to new replies.