Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Switzerland in 2 weeks
  • Premier Icon godzilla
    Free Member

We where due to fly to the Alps in two weeks on Friday via Geneva, it’s looking like France May be off the cards, I’m looking at a second plan, can anyone recommend anywhere to ride that’s easy to navigate and with a bit going on?
    I’m aware Switzerland’s probably going to be a no go but I just want a plan B.

Premier Icon Tracey

Pila or La Thuile are both an easy drive from Geneva. Could do scenic route down the lake and up over the Grand St Bernard pass to the Aeosta valley

Premier Icon godzilla
    Free Member

Hi @Tracey I Love both Pila and La Thuile, these are both options, we where supposed to be going there but it’s looking unlikely, I’d prefer to stay in Switzerland, of at least stay out of France.

Premier Icon freeridenick
    Free Member

Verbier will be open – easy to navigate
    Davos, Flims, Laax, Lenzeheide further away in the East – but again all open

Same predicament as you as on a french trip the 5th – with GVA flights booked…..

Free Member

closer to GVA is Champery, Zermatt, Crans Montana,

Premier Icon Tracey

If its definitely Switzerland then as above Verbier and surrounding area will give you the best options, however its a bit more expensive for everything.
    Our daughter is out in the Alps at the moment and went from Morzine on Saturday with the intention of a few days around Verbier, having ridden the area a couple of weeks a year since she was 5.
    In the end they went over the top to Pila early due to the fact that any campsite that would let them on wanted an arm and a leg to stay. Now up in la Thuile riding some of the EWS stuff but at a more leisurely pace

Premier Icon ahsat

Swiss friend, living in Switzerland, has said that getting hold of a campsite space is now nearly impossible. And wild camping is definitely not allowed! Don’t know about hotels etc. I’d have a quick look and see if there are even any options, let alone the price!!

Free Member

Hostels are excellent in switzerland

we based out of the Davos Hostel last year. fantastic spot with great food and you get a free lift pass.

Premier Icon rickmeister

As freeridenick suggests,

check Herbert Bahntours online. Hotel and lift packages, great value.

Premier Icon godzilla
    Free Member

The more I think on it we may do Switzerland for a few days and pop over to Le Thuile, and Aosta, I was thinking of hiring a camper But I’ll have to see, Zermatt and Verbier looks sweet, I’ve spent a good bit of time in Champery so not to bothered about that part, Davos is also a geed shout.
    I could really do with some clarity on travel restrictions, I paid £109 for a flight with bags and bikes and I’d be heart broken to miss my annual bike holiday, 8 of my other mates have cancelled and given up but I really need an adventure after working all the way through lockdown and not doing anything exciting since Jan.

Premier Icon Tracey

Camper would be good. Should be able to park at the lift station in Le Chable as last time we were went up to Vebier in one we we quickly moved on.
    The camper spot in La Thuile has plenty of room on at the moment but the campsite is running at 50% capacity

Abigale is in little one

Premier Icon jk1980
    Free Member

Does anyone please know, are you currently allowed to enter Switzerland if travelling from the UK?

The UK is not on this list so it seems to be allowed from what I can tell:

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html#1918240392

However, it seems to be implied that the UK is a high risk country (and therefore not allowed entry) if you follow the “Can I enter Switzerland from a country or region that is considered to be high-risk?” FAQ on this link:

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/aktuell/aktuell/faq-einreiseverweigerung.html

That’s because it seems to be saying that non-Schengen is high risk and not allowed, and I’m pretty sure the UK is not classed as a Schengen country.

Premier Icon Tracey

Our daughter was their last week, Verbier area and I know some of her mates have been riding with no problems

Premier Icon mrmo
    Free Member

I drove through the Vallorbe crossing this afternoon, GB plates and no issues. If you read the full guidance it is EU+schegen+UK,  last time I looked.

check here, and monitor,

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html

I think the Swiss threshold is 60 cases per 100,000?????

Premier Icon garlando

Been checking that list too as we arrive from France tomorrow morning. Looking okay so far. Planning to travel home via Germany so fingers crossed it starts to calm down a bit!!

Premier Icon jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, I will keep an eye on that list

Premier Icon mrlinderley
    Free Member

We’ve just come back from a 2 week trip to the alps.
    We rode in France and then went to Verbier and Zermatt.
    Both of which were amazing.
    We stayed on the campsite in Champsec which had plenty of room. It doesn’t get good reviews but i thought it was fine. Plus the owner gave us some free wine on arrival.
    It was 30CHF a night for 2 people a T5 and a tent but the main advantage is you get a Vip pass from the campsite that gets you 50% off the lift pass. That made the lift pass 20CHF a day.
    Download swissmap and trailforks and go exploring. The footpaths are amazing (jackass/vertigo etc). Be aware that some footpaths under the lift system are for walkers only.
    In Zermatt we just slept in the van at the side of the road as the campsite is Ronda was packed. We parked in Tasch which was 15CHF for the day and rode into Zermatt. We did spot a better looking campsite in Tasch but never enquired. The trails and scenery are breathtaking. I nearly crashed several times whilst looking at the Matterhorn instead of the trail. The lift pass is expensive but you understand why when you’re on it. Its 62CHF for the Sunnegga and Schwarzsee lifts which gets you pretty high and plenty to go at. Again get the Swissmap app and find the footpaths. I’ll definitely go back next year and get the full area pass for one day at least as that gets you to a lot more trails including the EWS ones but at 158 CHF for the day its an expensive day on the bike.
    Oh and if you’re camping and not wanting to eat out there’s a Lidl in Martigny which is cheap.
    If you want anymore info let me know.

Premier Icon mrlinderley
    Free Member

Just been looking on the Zermatt website and if you are going for more than one day the lift prices come down quite a lot. For example a 4 day full area pass is 218CHF. I think that’s good value when you see how fancy the lift system is.

Premier Icon the00
    Free Member

Looks like this trip was doomed. I see Switzerland now on UK quarantine list.

Premier Icon agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Can you drive instead? Come back through Germany?

Or fly back via Berlin…. Is that cheating??

Premier Icon lewzz10

Can you drive instead? Come back through Germany?

Or fly back via Berlin…. Is that cheating??

You declare where and when you’ve been on the form. Applies to people driving also.

Premier Icon sillysilly
    Free Member

What’s the weather going to be like in 2 weeks / how long are the resorts open to for MTB?

Anyone have any idea for what hotel / camp availability will be like once kids go bk to school.

Premier Icon agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Lewzz, think that through to the conclusion . …

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.