Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Switching to OVO Energy
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Just about to switch to Ovoenergy. I can say someone referred me. They dont say what you get, it may be a warm handshake, it could be £100 in cash*.

So first one to give me their name as an OvoEnergy customer, gets the MentionMe referral…I know there’s some in here who have mentioned the Co. in the past.

* unlikely to be £100 in cash.

MoreCashThanDash

Me.

And they are great to deal with.

jakehinton
    Free Member

Damn! Too slow!

Stoner
    Free Member

okeydokey, will PM you MCTD.

kcal

I’m now with them too – got referred by a fellow forumite – in fact I got a referral for my mum’s house as well which I am responsible for..

Was £25 JL voucher for the first one, then £25 Amazon voucher I think.

Stoner
    Free Member

MCTD, did you get the PM?

Gotama
    Free Member

Interesting. Those that switched can I ask why Ovo? We’re with British Gas at the moment but not hugely enamoured with them.

stever
    Free Member

Cheaper, greener, easier, friendlier.

Hey kcal! FWIW they’re a breath of fresh air compared to Scottish Power. If you can get excited about utilities that is 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m with Ovo. They were cheapest when I was looking to switch and I’d heard good things. I’ve just resigned with them for another year – they were a fraction more expensive than the cheapest on offer (£10 over the year IIRC) but they’re hassle free, clear in their pricing and when I’ve spoken to them they’ve not kept me waiting and answered my questions quickly.

pk13

Will be moving to them soon are they ok I like the green take on things tbh

Stoner
    Free Member

Im not that bothered with the green thing, just want a Co. that offers a simple online interface/control panel.

Ive been with EON since dot here at the barn. More out of morbid curiosity at how they go about stuff. Ive been part of their customer review group so that I can send the PR team lots of ranty responses in green ink. All they care about is their brand perception and latest advertising campaign. Nothing about making it easier to manage your account online, or analyse your consumption data (let alone do it at the best VFM).

Id love to have a smart meter but it doesnt seem to be available on most normal tariffs.

EDIT and hurry up MCTD with the email of your name, coz Im waiting to press the button here! I’ll offer the slot to someone else!

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ll take it, google buddy 🙂

FWIW, I find the ovo website straightforward and they also clearly try to make the contract/pricing stuff clear too – when my year was up, the email clearly stated the options, what they cost and how to do them – including leaving Ovo for another supplier

jolmes
    Free Member

Just done this with my sister, she got a £20 amazon voucher and I got £25 JL voucher, think she’s going to end up saying £180-200 a year through them.

Been very good with me since the start 2 years ago. Smart meter installed so i dont even have to send readings or have some guy come to the house and barge his way in with messy boots.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ok, I suspect we’ll switch to them so if any existing customer wants to mail me with their details then i’ll happily put them down. Will be over the next couple of weeks though so don’t hold your breath! First email I get wins! Email in profile.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Guys may I point you to GB Energy?

Knocks spots off all the others in pricing terms. Small company so probably better to deal with.

I’m swapping (EDF right now) and it will save me £200/year.

MoreCashThanDash

Should have a reply now Stoner.

Unluckily, you actually caught me out the office working!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why Ovo

Because they pay interest on any balance which is better than you will get in your own bank account or most savings

zigzag69
    Free Member

Another satisfied OVO customer here – been with them nearly 3 years now. Easy to deal with when I’ve had to phone them, and website is decent too.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Slight high jack. We keep getting asked to move to a smart meter. I can see no advantage for us apart from not having to take meter readings.

However I’ve also heard that if you swap providers they can ask you to change the smart meter and charge as it is not their equipment… Anyone had this issue?

sharkbait
    Free Member

There are no standards for smart meters yet so a meter from Provider_1 may well not work for Provider_2 and they would need to change it – I don’t know who would be liable for the charge.
    You’re under no obligation to change meter and, frankly, why would you? There’s zero benefit to you at all but it makes the provider’s profit grow.
    Sod ’em.

Edit: If you’ve got PV you really don’t want a smart meter.

pk13

Swapping now I can do the recommendations thing if emailed

NeillwalerATmsn.COM

nemesis
    Free Member

Ygm

pk13

Not yet lol

Try again but drop the capital 😳

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Been with OVO for 18 months now and seem easy and cheaper to sort out. Been overpaying and as long as you have more than a months money in the slush fund you get interest. Sitting on £350 at the moment for the winter time. We pay £130 a month for gas and electric in a busy household with a menopausal wife who is always wanting the heating on in a 4 bed house.

stever
    Free Member

Edit: If you’ve got PV you really don’t want a smart meter.

Are they really not bright enough to cope with that? Genuine Q.

vorlich
    Free Member

We switched about 12 months ago, after hearing about them on here. No complaints.

steelfan
    Free Member

Been with them a year and just renewed. No problems so far and the bills are easy to understand. Had a smart meter fitted a few months ago so no more meter readings.

Stoner
    Free Member

MCTD – nothing arrived yet.

Can I presume from your profile page it is Steve Wadey? or is it Steve Wade?

cheekyget
    Free Member

I switched a few months ago…saved about £350 a year….!!…..happy I am!! 😀

sharkbait
    Free Member

Are they really not bright enough to cope with that? Genuine Q.

Yes they are …. and that’s the problem! If you have PV it is assumed you export 50% of your production to the grid and you get paid (a fairly small amount) for that. But it’s far better to use as much of the electricity you produce in your own home – and to this end many people have a gizmo that takes all the spare PV production [that your house isn’t using] and send it to the immersion heater so you effectively get free hot water. When the water is hot can then divert the power to another circuit such as an electric heater.
    In this way you actually export hardly anything but you still get paid because export is not measured.
    But if you fit a smart meter it will show that you’re not exporting and so you’ll lose your payment.

stever
    Free Member

Ah wouldn’t be a problem for me, I use as much as I can – washer on when the sun’s out, etc – but don’t send it anywhere clever like an immersion heater, so still export anything unused.

MoreCashThanDash

Stoner – you should have got it mid afternoon, was sent on my phone

If you haven’t lost patience already, I am Steve Wadey, but I’ll understand if my useless phone has ruined my chances!

TheFlyingOx

Guys may I point you to GB Energy?

Knocks spots off all the others in pricing terms. Small company so probably better to deal with.

I’m swapping (EDF right now) and it will save me £200/year.
    Thanks for that fella. Unbelievable difference. Just switched and going on our usage for this last year we’ll be saving nearly £600! God knows why we stuck with SSE for so long…

sharkbait
    Free Member

It’s a pleasure 🙂

sadexpunk

thread resurrection for OVO users…..

anyone else had an email about changing terms and conditions? not very good with small print but it looks like theyre just introducing exit fees now retrospectively which im not happy about. you get the option of leaving before june the somethingth, but ive only just joined them a couple of months ago!

have i got this right? if so ill leave while i get the chance, i always go for the option of leaving with no exit fees.

stumpy01

Exit fees are only if you leave within your current contract length, so unless you chop & change constantly, does it make any difference?

sadexpunk

energy companies in my experience have been awful to deal with, i like the option of just binning them when they infuriate me. plus if theres a better deal elsewhere it makes sense to be able to switch.

but no, i dont chop and change constantly, cant be doing with the hassle for a few pence/pounds, but its this sort of ‘retrospective change to t’s & c’s’ that makes me want to go elsewhere.

footflaps

plus if theres a better deal elsewhere it makes sense to be able to switch

Look at GB Energy, no exit fees and very easy to deal with. Also the cheapest out there.

phiiiiil

We joined them late last year, but I’ve not heard anything about this.

Wasn’t scrapping exit charges one of the things Ofwat (or whoever the regulator is) was going to do?

MoreCashThanDash

Had the email, think you have it right.

To be honest, having spent a year working at one of the Big Six specifically sorting out the meter reads cockups when people change suppliers, I’m happy to stay with Ovo for the sake of saving £25 a year elsewhere.

Especially since I discovered the torch function on the Ovo app. I’ve been reading the meters every night since I found that…. 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Switching to OVO Energy’ is closed to new replies.