Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Switch game choice?
  • BearBack
    Free Member

Looking for suggestions please

My boys now 8 and 9 have a Switch and I think its time to add a game to their collection as a shared xmas gift (‘want, need, wear, read, play’ and all that)

They have:
    Mario Kart of course.. well, I do and they play it.
    Portal Nights – play individually sometimes
    Lego City, co-op but profile differences in save progress makes arguments but they enjoy the game.
    Splatoon – struggle a bit grasping the controls and look mechanics and it wasn’t what I expected (one player or online)
    Yoshis world but doesn’t get used often – the shared screen co-op causes arguments if one wants one way and the other doesnt
    Couple of cheap soccer and fall flat downloads.
    Guess they argue a lot…but gaming doesnt increase the frequency of it 😉

So, suggestions?
    Super Luckys Tale
    Links Awakening?

My memorable gaming was Gamegear Sonic the Hedgehog, N64 Goldeneye/MarioKArt/Fifa then ‘serious’ gaming on PC FPS (Quake3, MoH, MoHaa, CoD, Hitman etc) so I’ve no idea about platforms games

kelron
    Free Member

Mario Odyssey – single player but probably the best game on the platform. Might work taking turns?

Pokémon Let’s Go has basic co op play, unsure about the new one.

Rocket League

jamesy01
    Free Member

Mario Party is good fun and Mario and Sonic Tokyo 2020 looks like it’ll be a decent multiplayer.

akira

Breath of the Wild is amazing but it’s a big game. Good for puzzle solving though.

jamj1974

Smash Bros?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Never played it but been informed Dark Souls is good.

CraigW
    Free Member

Ring Fit Adventure. Would get a bit of exercise at least.

julians
    Free Member

Mario odyssey–can also be played as coop 2 player

Super smash bros

Mario party

Super Mario maker 2

Above are all games that my 8 year old enjoys

steve-g
    Free Member

Another vote for Mario Odyssey. It is technically 2 player but not really but is still the best game on the Switch by a mile.

Super Mario Vs Rabbids is decent with a mix of one and two player modes and some difficult levels unlocked at the end that would entertain adults.

Could grab a cheap year old Fifa if that’s not one you have downloaded.

Minecraft is the latest one that my kid is playing, that was only £20 I think.

Luigi’s Mansion 3 is the next one that he is looking forward to getting

Edit: Smash Bros, how did I forget that one.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Rocket League, Rumble gamemode is great fun, even for 45 year old kids. 😉

Rich_s

Rocket League +1

All my 9 and 6 year old boys are banging on about is mario & sonic Tokyo 2020.

bob_summers

Luigi’s mansion for me the boy. We downloaded the Olympics demo and it does look fun.

jimdubleyou

I’ll play Rocket League on my PS4 (44 yok), so I’m sure a couple of under 10 kids will love it.

Is there something platformy / puzzle solvy like Little Big Planet? LBP is great for conflict resolution training 🙂

BearBack
    Free Member

Thanks, some good suggestions, I’ll start looking at gameplay vids.
    Prefer to avoid fighting/direct competition titles I think as they already make everything a contest.

I think Yoshi’s world is Nintendos LBP equivalent.

senorj

Junior J has a switch on his list this year. Much to the missus’ dismay!
    He’s 7.5 & we , err, he wants mario kart obvs ,but how do I persuade the missus he won’t turn into a brain dead zombie? 🙂
    Sorry to derail op , saves me starting a new thread..:-)

mechanicaldope

how do I persuade the missus he won’t turn into a brain dead zombie? 🙂

Kids are entitled to be allowed to switch off and relax for a while?

Also, being up to date with modern technology in whatever form it takes is important. Might be hard to make a direct correlation but I used to get told off by my parents for wasting time playing Doom 2 / Duke Nukeum 3D. However, my mouse speed and accuracy i built up still serves me well as an office drone today!

prawny

Another vote for Mario odyssey, we got it with the switch a couple of years ago and it’s great. Fun as two player too and there’s a kid mode if they’re not super hot gamers that makes it a bit more fun.

The Mario and sonic Olympic Games are ace, We’ve got a few on the wii and will almost certainly get the next one, it’s great fun when the weather is crap having a family 4 player game.

@senor j we limit our two to two 30min ‘tickets’ per day, they earn more time by being good (mainly trying new foods at the moment) and they lose time for being buggers. Seems to work, they don’t play on it outside of their allotted time and they value it more when they’re on there.

They’ve started eating loads of different foods too 👍🏻

funkmasterp

I’d second Smash Brothers and Luigi’s Mansion. Would also recommend having a look on the store. There are some truly brilliant Indy games on there at great prices.

fubar
    Free Member

Have a look at Overcooked… a great co-op game which often results in much shouting and laughter

BearBack
    Free Member

I found Fall Flat to be absolutely brilliant save the final level that I haven’t solved. So totally open to some Indy suggestions?

loddrik
    Free Member

Definitely Mario Odyssey. I bought Breath of the wild too when I got the console but noone has been able to get into it.

erictwinge
    Free Member

santa has one in his sack for our little ‘un too.

she was a huge fan of Little Big Planet on the PS4, as was I – anything similar for the switch?

funkmasterp

Yoshi’s Crafted World has a similar design to LBP

Tenuous
    Free Member

Untitled Goose Game

akira

If you’re worried about time spent on it you can download the nintendo app that limits the time they can spend on it.

fubar
    Free Member

PSA – Rocket League for Switch is currently half-price @ £7.50

wooobob

Hollow Knight is great, only one player and can be frustrating if you only dip in and out, but atmospheric and spooky, and good to sit around and work out together.

Plus Smash Bros, obvs.

funkmasterp

Hollow Knight is a brilliant game. Metroidvania meets a 2D Dark Souls. I can’t wait for the follow up game that they are working on. How about Nintendo Labo? Seems pretty good and the kids could work together building the pieces needed.

Cup Head is a beautiful looking game, hand drawn in a 1930’s cartoon style with a soundtrack to match. It’s co-op but might make the kids cry as it’s insanely hard.

BearBack
    Free Member

totally forgot about the Labo. We’ve two. the build up process is great but the games after are a bit average. Lots of folded cardboard stashed in the closet.
    I downloaded Unravel Two yesterday, beautiful looking game. Look forwards to seeing how they manage to work together.
    Hollow knight looks great and like it would keep them entertained for ages too.. hopefully long enough since Halloween that theyre not quite as nervous of ghosts and monsters 😉
    I like the puzzle aspect of Luigi’s Mansion as having at least soem mental challenge aspect has to be beneficial.
    thanks again

bob_summers

Figuring out puzzles is a great argument for reticent spouses. We’re playing Lego Marvel as a 2 player and it’s interesting that my 6yo usually has the puzzles sussed while I’m still reading the IGN walkthrough

senorj

Thanks to all for the advice, I have been given the green light – under strict behaviour & time limit rules(for me obvs)and I plan to give junior j some quality clockwork orange style reeducation with the following material..

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Switch game choice?’ is closed to new replies.