Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Swisstop brake pads: any experiences?
  • clodhopper
    Free Member

I’m reading that the Swisstop brake pads are a good ‘upgrade’ for caliper brakes (on my Brompton, specifically). The performance of my existing pads (Clarkes or similar, can’t remember) is deteriorating, so I need to replace them. The Brompton brakes are never amazing, but adequate. Recently, the brakes have been a little alarming in very wet weather (I think the rubber is simply old and has perished a bit, gone very hard), and have taken a moment to actually bite, which isn’t ideal.

Swisstop seem to get good reviews, so worth going for? Any good alternatives? And which type; I think there’s 3 compounds for alloy rims. Blue BXP versions worth the extra over the black ones?

aP
    Free Member

I’ve used Swissstop pads for years, I really rate them. I have them on my best road bike (for Alps, Pyrenees, Dolomites and other stuff). They work well, have good longevity and don’t seem to kill rims too quick.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I really like them both in yellow rat form and black prince carbon form. Good braking, smooth but firm.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    twisty

Swisstop are very good although not cheap. Have you given those rims a really good clean with scotchbrite pad and degreaser?
    On the few occasions ive used a Brompton i thought the brakes were quite good, considering the small wheel size.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Rims are fine; the decline in braking performance prompted me to give them a once-over, but it made no difference. The Brompton brakes are generally adequate, and the small wheel takes a lot less stopping force. But in the last couple of months, the braking performance has dropped off noticably, prompting the need for replacements. Just wanted to know if the Swisstops are worth the extra (twice the price almost!) over standard Clarkes etc.

There are three compounds for alloy rims; black, green and blue. Which are the best performing over time? Would rather have better braking over longevity.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not entirely sure, but I have blue ones as they came with my brakes. I i look up what they were an concluded they were probably what I’d have bought anyway.

IIRC:
    Black – original and for soft rims like magnesium
    Green – for CX and all weather use
    Blue – for outright power

clodhopper
    Free Member

Are the green ones better in the wet? Or more for wet weather use, but not as good in the dry?

Erring towards the blues, but was wondering about the greens for the wet.

CraigW
    Free Member

Koolstop Salmon or Dual Compound are good for wet weather. A bit cheaper than Swissstop.

Or Discobrakes are really cheap, and probably better than Clarkes anyway.

funkweasel
    Free Member

I use the Flash Pro BXP (blue ones). I previously had the stock Shimano 105 ones in (5700) They’ve lasted about 1500 miles so far, obviously not braking for most of them and are about 2/3 – 3/4 worn. I do brake quite a lot on descents, and they’ve never let me down. They’re great in the wet (once you’ve cleared most of the water off the rim with a bit of a pull first), and amazing in the dry.

I highly rate them. Green ones are also good in the wet, but the blue ones seem better.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Ok. A set of blues ordered. Thanks for the comments.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Swisstop brake pads: any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.