Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Swinley Soloing
  • stewartc
    Free Member

Hi, back in blighty next month for 8 days and staying at my Mums who is down the road from Swinley so I thought I would take a bike and maybe get some km’s in during the trip (wife likes to lay in past 12 on vacation, I wake early).
    So, is it easy to navigate solo and would my SB5c be the right fit (Liteville 601 is the other option), I’m also looking to get some time around the Surrey Downs, same question really as again Ive not ridden both for some time (10 years)?
    I have a GPS but its just a Garmin Fenix which is not the best for following way-points so ease of navigation would be useful.

boobs

Swinley is easy to navigate for the marked stuff(about 15k), start from the Lookout car park, £2 for 4 hrs £4 all day, there are many other routes too. Any bike is fine. Surrey Hills aren’t so easy as the trails aren’t marked, if you go to Peaslake I’m sure someone will give you some pointers.

theotherjonv

are you talking weekdays, weekends or both? There’s plenty near swinley that isn’t swinley but doesn’t require a drive to get to. I might be able to host you a couple of hours early morning before work on a weekday if you wanted, then you can stay around and explore after.

Yeti for Swinley and nearby, you’d be overbiked on the 601 (unless the new swinley freeride bits are open by then). There’s more biggerer stuff in the Surrey Hills, but you wouldn’t be underbiked there on the Yeti.

(note – your bike choices indicate a certain level of gnarrr…. swinley and surrounding areas is twisty flowing singletrack, so if you do want hosting don’t expect me to be jumping – if my wheels leave the ground, I usually shit myself)

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

Here’s a map of Swinley

Wookster

Yes very easy to get around all signposted. And it’s great fun!!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Note closures at the moment due to ground nesting bird season (not that they likely do nest there and they certainly don’t nest on the trails, but Nature England kick up a right fuss over Swinley so shut they are for most the year).

There are diversions including some new trails.

If you’re on official trails, take whatever bike is good for cobbles 😉

stewartc
    Free Member

Cheers all. To complicate matters it looks like I may not be able to bring the bike now so I will stick to Swinley and the local bike hire and save everywhere else for another trip.
    At least I will be able to get 3-4 mornings during the week of riding before I’m dragged around shops and relatives homes!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Swinley Soloing’ is closed to new replies.