Swinley – Quagmire?

Home Forum Bike Forum Swinley – Quagmire?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Swinley – Quagmire?
  • Anyone been over the last few days? Am pondering a pootle over that way this weekend and wanted to know if I should pack my snorkel.

TIA!

Russtea

Was there in Sunday, a few trail sections are closed, but it was still good fun. Check the Swinley Trail Team on Facebook.

soobalias

had a couple of decent sized carp from the tank traps by all accounts.

chum3

The fire roads are total bogs/ponds/streams in places, but the trails are mostly ok.

warns74

As said the fire road sections are the worse, muddy and running with water in places, but the rest is as expected this time of year!

Been the last 2 weekends and still had a great ride. Be aware that if there are diversions in place still some of the signage is poor unless you know the trails well enough.

umop3pisdn

Some trails are closed for riding, ride them at your peril and risk a lynching on the fb group.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Was there on Saturday. The sandy bits on the red were lovely.

A couple of the bowl/berm things on the blue are largely under water, giving you the challenge of dry wall ride or a soaking.

Fire road bits are hugely muddy, loads of widening as people try and stay out of the puddles.

Take a SS if you can, it’s easier on the ears! I was wincing with the graunching a lot of the way round.

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

Mixed bag up there today. On balance, it’s time to give Swinley a breather IMO. Lots of bits closed (including some of the better bits IMO), lots of erosion etc. We are just making a mess.

Not really all weather!!!! But still a fine effort as still some fun riding.

Having said that with deer maker closed it was fun to go back to some of the old favs nearby ๐Ÿ˜‰ Two great runs on bits I haven’t ridden for 18 months or so. Great jumps and berms that I had almost forgotten!!!

razorrazoo

Not saying anyone on here has been riding them, but closed sections are closed for a reason. Some muppets have been ignoring the signs, tape, branches across track etc and setting repairs back, trails have been closed for rebuilding and premature use is taking destroying the work, especially as the weather has been so bad too.

Personally speaking, if it is not local enough of it is closed or under a thick layer of mud not to bother until it dries out a bit and it’s been raining hard again this afternoon locally.

Subscriber

I agree, give it time to dry and recover.

My sneaky bits were not taped off tbc, just two old runs near the start of Dm. Best conditions in the whole forest, so I should have kept mum!!!

Nasty little hole on the descent from the reservoir. About 3/4 of the way down after fast double (that I rolled ๐Ÿ˜‰ ), a nasty little wheel grabber. The bits that are open on the red seem to be in better condition than the blue IMO.

The sound of the crunching mechs etc is still ringing in my eyes. Need to check the brakes!!!

razorrazoo

Yeah, I sessioned some old off piste trails last weekend and managed to have my first off in ages findinmg out old berms don’t quite catch you well enough. Babymaker was running nicely too, but definitely too wet/closed to ride a nice flowing blue/red circuit.

Hole is on Red 26(I think), managed to take evasive action at speed on that one or could have been 2 face plants in one ride ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Subscriber

“My” hole was a bit earlier. Prob 14 I think. The lovely fast descent from the reservoir and before you x the first forest rd. Near the end it bottoms out after the really fast sweepy, jumpy bit and it is waiting for you. Gave me quite a shock today.

Came close to a “flashy” in some of the front tyre eating mud on the blue as well.

razorrazoo

In the compression after the sort of right hand hipped table?

I love that bit of trail.

Subscriber

That sounds about it. You are going fast at that bit and I imagine that is where better riders than me are landing the table. It’s an awkward spot and size. Unless you have a 29er and then you just roll over it!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

One if my favourite sections too with deerstalker/maker (never remember) and the fast flowy bit about half way back. I had forgotten how steep the back route up to the start of the old expert area was. Shorter than the bit on red but quite a bit steeper!!! It must be 2 years since I have come back up that bit.

Hat to nip out for some more GT85 after that,

razorrazoo

Love that table, you just float over it without even thinking about it, so fast in the dry.

I’ve never ridden up the back route, too loose and steep for me, prefer to push back up the axle run, hardly anyone rides it these days.

Subscriber

It spooked me a bit today on my old XC HT! I came at it too fast and whimped the jump,at the last minute!! That whole section seems to be very fast but my limited technique prevents me from pushing it too hard. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Swinley – Quagmire?’ is closed to new replies.