Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Swinley Parking for this weekend ?
  • weeksy

Morning fellas…

Where’s the best place to park for a few hours ? Sainsburys ? or somewhere easier/better ?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Tunnel Hill? Minley?

I imagine you won’t be the only one thinking what you’re thinking… 😉

I had a drive round Swinley the other day & there is precious little bonafide off-site parking.

Maybe try Broadmoor Hospital car park & ride in on the Devils Highway? I’m not totally sure you can park at BH at the W/e’s though, I know you can’t during the wk.

weeksy

We’ve parked in Sains before and it doesn’t have any signs i can see with time restrictions etc…

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I think I saw something on social media asking folks to not drive & specifically not to park in Sainsbury’s – your shout obviously. Sainsbury’s is about the only place I can think of you might find space..

theotherjonv

I park the other side, by American golf, and ride in to the clubhouse across Old Dean common.

https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=490120&y=161795&z=120&sv=490120,161795&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=711&ax=490120&ay=161795&lm=0

CP with arrow

weeksy

I park the other side, by American golf, and ride in to the clubhouse across Old Dean common

Easy if you don’t know the area ? Obviously i know Swinley and Crowthorne Woods, but surrounding areas ive never been to etc.

weeksy

I’d assume if coming from Bracknell and i get to the 4 way junction where i’d turn right for Swinley, if instead i go left there’s housing estate down there, i could just lob it in a side road ? I’ve been down that road once to buy something from Ebay, but didn’t pay much attention.

Tiger6791

Msg’d You 👍

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It did seem quiet last weekend, don’t know if it’ll be busier this weekend now that people have had time to plan a trip. Still loads of cars were parked down Nine Mile Ride so only a matter of time before the council start ticketing down there, they were doing the lay-by outside lookout last week. Not sure if they went the whole way down the road or just the gates where it specifically says no-parking.

mtbfix

Their most recent post asks people not to drive to the forest, describing it as being ‘open for locals’. 10 miles to the north of Swinley the Chilterns trails are all open and riding as well as you’re ever likely to find them.

jamesoz

I rode in from Reading last weekend, not sure if it’s classed as local but I’ve done that a few times in the past.

Saw some quality parking, like a sign written cycle repair van and a few others parked on the neatly mown verge outside one of the nearby houses.

jimdubleyou

Park at or near Martins Heron station. There’s a bike path direct to the lookout from there.

theotherjonv

Easy if you don’t know the area ?

easy enough – straight over the Am Golf r/b and up the dead end road, over the stile and turn right for about 50 yards to the telegraph line clearing.

follow this to where it doglegs but keep straight on to pass the mast on your left, into the open area with the concrete bunker and then bear right and that’ll take you to the clubhouse.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3603756,-0.7236458,1838m/data=!3m1!1e3

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I rode in from Reading last weekend, not sure if it’s classed as local but I’ve done that a few times in the past.

Snap, twice 🤣

From Shinfield through the university agricultural collage, gorick plantations and onto 9 mile ride. I’m determined to find a different route to the south and make it more of a loop.

I decided if I can ride it in half a day I’m local enough!

jamesoz

From Shinfield through the university agricultural collage, gorick plantations and onto 9 mile ride. I’m determined to find a different route to the south and make it more of a loop.

I did the same but returned via the Reading-Bracknel cycle route, the 422? Can’t remember, either way I didn’t enjoy the return leg, so like yourself I’ll probably try a more southerly return.
    Also, not head to the Look Out and end at the Look Out as it’s more pleasant to head in from Crowthorne and probably not go near the blue then either

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I actually quite enjoy the blue and the cycle path allong 9 mile ride, lovely loose corners as long as you dont meet anyone coming the other way!

I keep meaning to try the footpath allong the Blackwater River, past Bird HQ, Bramshill Plantation, Farley Hill then the Whites Farm footpath over the new Arborfield Bypass puts you opposite the main entrance to the university farm. Would be quite a detour though, so probably best done outbound, do a swinley ‘best bits’ then back the easy way.

thepurist

footpath allong the Blackwater River

I did that once, huge gate/style/something that needed the bike properly manhandling over in the way at Fleethill farm IIRC and the bit from Eversley to Bramshill was less fun than getting poked in the eye with a stick.

weeksy

OK, after some thoughts/comments we’ll stay local instead. Thanks all.

ashmonkey
    Free Member

Hello
    Going to Swinley this eve for the first time since lock down.

Kinda local (near Hook) and as above, planning on parking in the housing estate, left at the lights.

How busy has blue and red been ? All open ?

natrix
    Free Member

When I was there there were tree trunks across the entrances to the trails and big signs saying no cycling……….

jamesoz

It was all open earlier. (Aside the carpark I assume).
    I rode in via the Dive centre end at Crowthorne.
    It was fairly busy on the trails, no issue social distancing though.
    Saw a few inching down Babymaker as it’s loose and dusty, looking like a crash waiting to happen, particularly the chap in the baseball cap.
    Can’t comment on the blue as didn’t ride it, I imagine Stickler would be best avoided in the busy parts of the day.

ashmonkey
    Free Member

Ah man it’s good to be riding something other than local lanes again, wonderful evening on the red and blue.

Thanks to the very kind chap who helped me out with two canisters after a pinch flat (I know, tubeless etc) On a Scott FS, you’re a gent. I should remember to check the new pump I brought actually works before setting off !

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I did that once, huge gate/style/something that needed the bike properly manhandling over in the way at Fleethill farm IIRC and the bit from Eversley to Bramshill was less fun than getting poked in the eye with a stick.

Was actually quite a nice ride today in the sunshine, A LOT of stiles, but in between it was mostly a nice ride. Barely saw anyone on the footpath parts but the river as you come into Sandhurst was absolutely packed. Bad for Coronavirus, good for me wearing sunglasses 😎

Only had one “shouldnt cycle here”, on the perimeter path arround Wellington College. Which being a fire road I couldnt even be bothered with a witty response.

Sui
    Free Member

jamesoz
    Subscriber
    It was all open earlier. (Aside the carpark I assume).
    I rode in via the Dive centre end at Crowthorne.
    It was fairly busy on the trails, no issue social distancing though.
    Saw a few inching down Babymaker as it’s loose and dusty, looking like a crash waiting to happen, particularly the chap in the baseball cap.
    Can’t comment on the blue as didn’t ride it, I imagine Stickler would be best avoided in the busy parts of the day.

IS the carpark there barriered? I woulndt norally think about driving unless normal carparks open, but it’s daughters birthday and its the only place we can go as family (im in surrey hills which apparntly is too hilly).. Looking for a few hours tomorrow am..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Still locked up, there was a rumour they were re opening but Ive not seen anything.

Sainsburys car park was apparently packed! Although the trails were still fairly quiet.

scamperjenkins
    Free Member

I always joined the trails from Bagshot side. Safe easy parking and a few minutes along the access track and join towards the end of the red.

Sui
    Free Member

ok ta, ill see how it goes in the morning, but keen to not be a complete asshat and park on the local roads or even sains’..

ashmonkey
    Free Member

I went left at the lights as described above, then first left and there is a long stretch not overlooked by houses with no parking signs etc. All good

Sui
    Free Member

I can confirm normal parking has resumed!

weeksy

Really ? Oh that’s interesting…. we were going to head to QECP instead of Swinley because of the parking situation.

pickle
    Free Member

I’d rather be in lock down for another 10 weeks 😉

masterdabber
    Free Member

I can confirm normal parking has resumed!

I hadn’t realised that when I was over there today. I rode in from American Golf and never went over to the Loookout area. It never seemed very busy but I bet it will be over the weekend if the parking is open.

NS
    Free Member

How busy were the trails & lookout car park this weekend?

weeksy

Quieter than you’d expect. Even when we got back to the car at 12:00 the overflow where we were was only 40% full at the most, that’s normally jammed.

Trails were fairly busy, but we only did a couple of them, instead playing over in Crowthorne woods on old Gorrick trails. So when we’d finished there we did Red 8-9 i think then over onto the last couple of BLues.

natrix
    Free Member

Did some reds Saturday morning and the trails were very busy, so headed off to Barossa. Some very big groups, with no social distancing……………

jamesoz

Did some reds Saturday morning and the trails were very busy, so headed off to Barossa. Some very big groups, with no social distancing……………

Don’t forget the 2 Motor bikes, the 2 E-Motor Bikes and litter. Could only be better if I had to put another fire out.

razorrazoo

Car park is open from 9am which rules it out for early risers wanting to miss the masses.  Rode 8.30 – 11 on Saturday and it was very busy on the trails later in the morning.   We parked at South Hill Park and rode over to the start of the blue, took about 5 mins, trails were running well for a bit of rain.

corkblork
    Free Member

South Hill Park

Is there a max stay duration? Thanks.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Swinley Parking for this weekend ?’ is closed to new replies.