Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)
  • Swinley meetup 6th/7th Oct
  • kelron
    Free Member

Is this “drop of doom” in one of the fabled off piste sections?

root-n-5th
    Free Member

If there is a split in the availability of people should we do two rides, one Saturday and one Sunday? There might be enough interest.

I seem to remember a drop of doom in some dark woods. Good fun.

jamesoz

It’s two 1ft (ish) drops, one after the other followed by a tabletop. It’s on the Red route.

Shame I can’t make it on the 6th I’d destroy you all with my excuses.

weeksy

If there is a split in the availability of people should we do two rides, one Saturday and one Sunday

Sounds perfectly great to me. I may even attend both days!

Drop is off piste yes, entry into the old corkscrew

weeksy

On a serious note, how many laps?

Laps? I don’t see us sticking to the colours. Bit of blue, red then into crowthorne random frolics over there, then back to finish with some red/blue/whatever.

If someone wants to show us slightly further afield and away from the dedicated trails, I’m more than happy

frogstomp

weeksy : then some sections sitting at the back with a guy who wasn’t quite on the pace…

I should be a bit fitter this time 😉

jamesoz

So if that’s the Drop of doom, is there a name for the drop I cleared out  around 2000ish?

Around 6ft I think by the time you landed, there was a couple of smaller drops along the same bank and the start of the trail that was intersected by Red 15.

DezB
    Free Member

That pic of my kid on the “boring” thread – is that one of the drops of doom?

razorrazoo

So if that’s the Drop of doom, is there a name for the drop I cleared out  around 2000ish?

Around 6ft I think by the time you landed, there was a couple of smaller drops along the same bank and the start of the trail that was intersected by Red 15.

That’s the one to the left at the top of the wall. I think it’s still there.  Always mean to see if that trail you mentioned still exists.

The new ‘drops of doom’ are the ones they put in on seagull as described above. Can’t say they are really doom worthy though and the tabletop after has very little in the way of a lip.

Drop at the start of the corkscrew ain’t bad either, just easy to overdo it and land to flat if you have too much speed.

nathb
    Free Member

@weeksy I’m asking about road shoes as I’m not sure if I’ll need to walk some bits? In which case I’d stand no chance in road shoes lol

molgrips
    Free Member

Are you going molgrips?  I might strangely be looking forward to meeting you, based on my perception via your STW personality of course, hopefully you won’t be a let down

Hehe.  I’d love to meet you and everyone else, sounds like a laugh, however I can’t really make it sadly given it’s over a 2 hour drive.

weeksy

@weeksy I’m asking about road shoes as I’m not sure if I’ll need to walk some bits? In which case I’d stand no chance in road shoes lol

I know mate, which was how i based my reply. I can’t see you needing to walk anything..

root-n-5th
    Free Member

There is that big hill behind the mountain that is a bit of a nasty one. I guess if you’re wearing road shows you’re quite spritley so won’t be a problem. Just don’t put your foot down in the boggy bits.

DezB
    Free Member

given it’s over a 2 hour drive

It’s just not worth it! 😆

The kid has said he’s up for it. So that’s cool 🙂

scaredypants

can I be a maybe ?

My Saturday looks free but MrsPants is doing a 10k run and it’s possible that I’m doing the driving/cheering (haven’t had my briefing yet)

I’m really fast, mind – I don’t want you lot turning out to be shit

weeksy

I’m really fast, mind

even with 5psi in your tyres and your bar/stem bolts loose 😉  ?

scaredypants

Good luck with that – I expect the bolts are rusted solid and valves’ll be jammed with dried up jizz.  I’m invincible 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m asking about road shoes as I’m not sure if I’ll need to walk some bits? In which case I’d stand no chance in road shoes lol

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I actually tried to ride Swinley in road shoes once, so I’m going to say no. Unless you’ve tried to ride of road in road shoes before and already know what you’re letting yourself in for. The pedals don’t work with even a smidgen of mud, the plastic wears away in a matter of miles when wet and gritty, they’re surprisingly difficult to unclip from in a hurry, </span>

Road shoes + mtb cleats will be fine as long as you can get up the steep bits (Nothing at Swinley really deserves being called a hill, but the gradients are quite sharp!).

kelron
    Free Member

@nathb I could bring a spare set of flat pedals if you’re comfortable using them.

crosshair
    Free Member

Having not ridden it since last year in anger (until a poor showing on it at CX Racing at the weekend), I thought I had better blow the cobwebs off of the Spark today. She’s a beaut on the practically cobbled roads around here 😎

Rest week next week too, so might try and do my recovery rides on it.

Hope it’s not too muddy or I’ll be off at the first bend mind you 🤣

weeksy

You want to borrow some wheels with more appropriate rubber fitted?

crosshair
    Free Member

No ta!!! Nothing wrong with Ron’s round Swinley 😉

Kryton57

I’m sabotaging my ride with Tyre’s too.   I thought I may as well use the Mavic Pulses that came on the wheels.  They were fine on dry Epping forest single track, I’m not so sure they will be on the metalled sections at Swinley

weeksy

Lol you’re aware there’s no start or finish line boys?

crosshair
    Free Member

There is- they’re called Strava segments 🤣

I’m easy prey though. A year of steady-state road training, 90kg and zero ‘gnar skills means no

STW-O-M’s for me 😫

weeksy

LOL you’d be right on the pace if you were pushing on that’s for sure. You’ve got power and skill, I’ve seen both first hand.

I’m just looking forward to the cake !.

Kryton57

Tsk.

Last time on an STW ride I joined the self proclaimed “Fast Group” and got bored.   This time I suspect there’s a few ringers coming alone.

Don’t trust anyone who says they are fat and slow…

weeksy

Well you are a pro-trained XC race whippet…. There’ll be none of them antics next weekend

DezB
    Free Member

Certainly not from me and Jr. We just loik da jumpz.

molgrips
    Free Member

Now you’re making me really want to come for a bit of a challenge….

Kryton57

At this point out im fat, slow, mediocre and am in my off season so eating loads and not doing intervals, using second rate tyres and wont be in race kit 😀

IdleJon

Last time on an STW ride I joined the self proclaimed “Fast Group” and got bored.

At Swinley? It’s not possible! There’s fun around every one of the 2567 corners.

nathb
    Free Member

Bailing sorry, I’ve hurt my neck and haven’t bought a bike yet. Have fun folks!

root-n-5th
    Free Member

So, are there two rides? I can make Sunday.

weeksy

Not sure root. I’m free within reason all weekend

Let’s have a list and see if we can round up numbers

Sat 10:30

Weeksy

Sun 10:30

Weeksy

crosshair
    Free Member

Weeksy

Crosshair

Weeksy

kilo

Weeksy

Kilo and Mrs Kilo (depending on how her Achilles injury clears up)

Weeksy

Posted 1 hour ago REPLY | REPORT

Kryton57

Weeksy

Kryton/Steve

Weeksy

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Weeksy

Kryton/Steve

————-

Weeksy

Root-n-5th/Sam

theotherjonv

Stay 1030 theotherjonv probably

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘Swinley meetup 6th/7th Oct’ is closed to new replies.