Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Swinley Forest Enduro
  • scottfitz
    Free Member

I’m not organising this one but I have helped with some advice, it should be a top quality event. I’m looking forward to racing it too!
    Its on Sunday 4th September 2016 and goes on sale this Friday.

http://swinleyforestenduro.co.uk/

acidtest
    Free Member

Looks pretty good and only down the road. Cheers.

uberscott

Yep, Mrs Uber and I are both thinking of entering this one – looks good!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rubber_Buccaneer

You don’t have to wear a full face and they are open to all levels of hopeless knobber? I may have a go 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

jimdubleyou

You don’t have to wear a full face and they are open to all levels of hopeless knobber? I may have a go

Sounds perfect, me too.

orangewinger
    Free Member

I’m thinking of doing it too, but I suspect a single practice lap of the 24km loop will expire all my energy.

ernie

Argh! Clashes with my daughters christening. I’m am atheist – do you think the wife will forgive me if I use that as an excuse for not going to church?

jimdubleyou

Argh! Clashes with my daughters christening. I’m am atheist – do you think the wife will forgive me if I use that as an excuse for not going to church?

What are you going to do at the Christening? Mumble the vows or stand at the back?

I reckon an Enduro is much better use of your time 😈

RobHilton
    Free Member

daughters christening. I’m am atheist

Does not compute

faustus

As i’m just down the road it might be my first taste of enduro, I know a fair bit of the forest and can pedal so i’ll be OK!

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Anyone know the entry prices?

deanfbm
    Free Member

Not quite sure how “enduro” it’s going to be. It’s all XC terrain.

XC race on 6″ carbon gnarpoons?

faustus

I have a mid-travel HT so will be hoping people will come over-biked 🙂

Unless entry is silly money, then I won’t be going…

scottfitz
    Free Member

paulneenan76 – Member

Anyone know the entry prices?
    Its £42.50, Same price as the Southern Enduro’s

Which is about average for enduro’s in the UK

mark88

There’s a bold claim on the website of 80% descent in 7 1min30 – 6 minute stages. I’ve not seen much in Swinley that convinces me that this is possible, but either way, it’s localish and there’s some good trails there so I’ll be riding.

jimdubleyou

There’s a bold claim on the website of 80% descent in 7 1min30 – 6 minute stages. I’ve not seen much in Swinley that convinces me that this is possible, but either way, it’s localish and there’s some good trails there so I’ll be riding.[/quote]

It’s not all on the waymarked trails, there might even be some of the “old” trails included.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Knowing the Swinley Bike Hub guys it won’t be very XC. Looking forward to racing locally, its great to see someone else organising races so I get to race 🙂

7 stages sounds cool too even if they are all sub 2 mins each. 10mins plus of stage times is good.

HansRey

don’t suppose that someone is going from London, with a spare space in their car/van/bus/camper/helicopter/hot air balloon? I’ve just moved to London and don’t know anyone interested in this.

jimdubleyou

It’s a 10 minute pedal from Martin’s Heron train station, which is about 45 mins from Waterloo.

HansRey

Thanks jim, but you didnt quite fix it. It’d be nice to meet some likeminded bikers aswell

DezB
    Free Member

Not quite sure how “enduro” it’s going to be. It’s all XC terrain

I Bet there were some smart arses saying that about the qecp one too…

Tiger6791

Can someone please explain an Enduro race??

How does it differ from XC?

If I’m slow downhill is there any point?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can someone please explain an Enduro race??

How does it differ from XC?

If I’m slow downhill is there any point?

7x downhill tracks enduro stages and you have to ride between them. Only the stages are timed, so you can pootle between them (time limits permitting, looks like the only limit is to be finished by 1630) then the idea is to sprint through the stages in the lowest cumulative time.

1min30 would be a slow time down any of the big hills in Swinley (15, 25, deerstalker?), 6 min must be Stickler or Seagull?

Tiger6791

Stickler long isn’t very downhill

6:54 Team Magentodog!!

hammerite
    Free Member

I like the look of this for a first event for Jnr and I.

By then I might be fit enough for a practice loop and a race in the same day. But if not are the courses usually obvious the day before if I wanted to check things out?

natrix
    Free Member

Surprised that this isn’t mentioned on the Trail Team Swinley website, I do hope that some of the money is going back to fund trail maintenance, which is carried out mostly by volunteers…………

Scamper
    Free Member

Might give this a go as my first Enduro, bring local. Not sure on the difference between Vet and Open in terms of what Open is for?

If they are cherry picking the best bits of the main trails, a lot of people will be disappointed turning up for a normal ride Sunday, so I presume they will use for example one of the other runs off the hill rather than section 20.

mark88

Not sure on the difference between Vet and Open in terms of what Open is for?

Open is aimed at being a less competitive class so that newcomers aren’t put off by being up against the best riders in their age group. As a result of this the times are a little slower, for example at the last Southern Enduro, Fun/Open was won in a time which would have been 15th in Veterans.

I really don’t see the point in an open class in enduro as the racing isn’t head to head, but if it encourages people to have a go, then I guess it’s worth organisers doing.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I Bet there were some smart arses saying that about the qecp one too…

Not really, i’m not exactly QE’s greatest fan, but even I know QE has a hill to start with!

All for more local racing, but I don’t think i’ll be doing this one 🙂

phil40
    Free Member

I have signed up for this (as well as QECP on the 24th). I put in for open after emailing the organiser and explaining that I am a slow middle aged MTB’er who is fairly unfit and talentless 😀

I also self seeded 5 on the 1-5 scale of how fast/slow are you option! I fully expect to be the last competitor off for each stage….hopefully no one will see me walking anything vaguely technical.

After being really really unfit for the last 7 years, I am enjoying getting out and racing, even if I am firmly at the back of the pack! At least with this unlike XC racing I can bimble back up the hills, although I do enjoy the mass start aspect of XC!

48km of pedalling in a day does have me a little scared though! I might need to work on my fitness some more!

scottfitz
    Free Member

On stage times, the Enduro1 I did at Swinley in 2012 the time were as follows:

Stage 1: 03:30 (started at gravel hill)
    Stage 2: 04:12 (was in crowthorne woods)
    Stage 3: 02:57 (Started at surrey hill)
    Stage 4: 03:52 (Started near red 26 I think)
    Stage 5: 01:56 (this stage finished in jump gully)

https://www.strava.com/activities/25084096

Deerstalker, Labyrinth, stickler and tank traps were all part of the transition.

acidtest
    Free Member

Signed up for the Vets category, first Enduro. Looks more fun than the hell that was XC on a hardtail back in the day.

acidtest
    Free Member

Anyone else amped for this? Not long!

kimbers

Yup should be there

Will any of the controversial new freeride area be included tho? 😉

acidtest
    Free Member

Will any of the controversial new freeride area be included tho?

Na, that’s definitely not part of it (phew!)

anono

Does anyone know if this will affect access to the trails the day before (Sat 3rd)?

acidtest
    Free Member

According to their facebook only a few trails will have diversions on Sunday so Saturday will be all clear.

kimbers

Na, that’s definitely not part of it (phew!)

😡

kimbers

rain on saturday but looking good for sunday, im excited!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Swinley Forest Enduro’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts