Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Swinley crashes today
  • Massive thanks to the dirt jump dudes who called the rangers so we could get the ambulance up to the sandy gulley to see to a broken wrist.
    Looks like the paramedics were kept busy today with another callout up there. Not helped by the d**k who crashed on a bermed section while not wearing a helmet. Duh.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Sympathy goes out to whoever gets hurt and all. I saw the girl down, chinese whispers of a broken wrist.

But….

Not trolling or anything, with the public health service being so stretched, is it really their time well spent missioning out to the woods for a broken wrist?

Obviously if there were worries over head/spine/back injury, erring on the side of caution is the best way of going about it, but if it was only a suspected broken wrist from the outset, that’s where my grievances lie.

For the record there was a back injury but no permanent damage. The wrist break was nasty and needed an op this evening.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Wanna see a crash and injury, go to jump gully of a bank holiday…

mudmonster
    Free Member

All the videos with people doing jumps, tailwhips and tabletops every 3 seconds have a lot to answer for.

JCL
    Free Member

Not trolling or anything, with the public health service being so stretched, is it really their time well spent missioning out to the woods for a broken wrist?

Totally agree. Ridiculous.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mudmonster – Member
    All the videos with people doing jumps, tailwhips and tabletops every 3 seconds have a lot to answer for.

Yep and all those violent computer games.

Depends on a lot of stuff, such as the severity of the injury, of course we should all drag ourselves out of a situation like that and risk complications or ongoing injury.

Someone went down on our local trails and was carried out by the Ambulance service. Nothing broken so obviously a waste of time and effort until the rest of the story comes through that he had some loss of feeling and symptoms of spinal injury.

JCL
    Free Member

I think you know when you’ve hurt really hurt yourself V’s broke you wrist.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve seen broken wrists that I wouldn’t want to move with.

theotherjonv

Read further up guys. Was initially thought to be a back injury. Never sensible to ask the casualty to make their own way to a&e in those situations, is it?

allthepies
    Free Member

Loving the trailside injury triage experts 🙂

woodsman
    Free Member

2nd the theotherjonv!

I remember being in a group when a helicopter was dispatched to a rider with a broken collar bone, also he had landed on his head and was delirious. I reported it on here and got severely flamed!

soobalias
    Free Member

you wont think its such a good idea when its pay per ambulance…

gogg
    Free Member

I think you know when you’ve hurt really hurt yourself V’s broke you wrist.

A climber I knew of died at Froggat after a fall, he’d broken his ankle, and was being treated for that but they’d not discovered the rupture to his liver and he died of internal bleeding.

He said there was nothing else wrong with him.

A smaller less life threatening injury can mask a more life threatening/changing injury.

Tragic.

Be careful out there people!

soobalias
    Free Member

ah, now i see that would have been better on the plates and pins thread.

chip
    Free Member

Some people cope with injury better than others, some people would calmly present themselves at A&E with there arm in a carrier bag after loping it off doing a spot of gardening and yet I have seen other people lose their mind over the smallest cuts,

What I picked up on was the ops lack of sympathy for the dick with out a helmet.
    And the fact it came across to me that they thought they were not deserving as they had bought it upon themselves by not wearing a helmet. Did the broken wrist not bring it on themselves by diverting from the red to use the jump gulley, putting themselves in unnecessary peril also.

rewski
    Free Member

I got a severe telling off by the medics for riding home with a shattered clavicle, a compound fracture can be pretty serious, they’d rather pick you up with minor injuries than major. I was running tripping out on adrenalin and not thinking straight

Good luck with the wrist, done one of those too, you don’t realise how strong and clever your wrists are until you damage them.

theotherjonv

I separated my shoulder playing football a few years back. Rather than call an ambulance, and on adrenaline I got one of the sub’s to run me to a&e in his car. I hadn’t twigged he had an mg midget, and by the time I got there and was in minor shock and considerable pain, getting out just wasn’t happening without the use of my arms.

Fortunately the roof came down and two orderlies lifted me bodily out of the car. Seemed sensible at the time, ambulance (or a better car) would in hindsight have been a better shout. And while the sub was reknowned for his extensive use of recreational pharmaceuticals, his midget was poorly equipped with gas and air…….

yacoby
    Free Member

As far as I know if you have done something that could be serious they would far prefer you to err on the side of caution.

It is also better safe than sorry as after an accident you are pumped through with adrenaline. I have walked into A&E with what I thought was a minor set of grazes and been told to sit down, not put any weight on my legs and not move until they can get me an x-ray as it was possible that I had broken my kneecaps. I hadn’t, but I am not really qualified to make decision as to if my inquiry is potentially serious or not.

If it looks like someone might need one. Call it.

EDIT:
    To add to this I know someone who broke their ankle walking in some hills (quick close to a major road). They sent two emergency vehicles (ambulance and fast response) because “It is possible the fast response could get their first, but we don’t know so we are sending both”. Turns out that you can cut off blood flow and if it isn’t sorted quickly you can loose your foot or something. In other words something that I didn’t think was quite that time critical was.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Did the guy not wearing a helmet loose his head or something?

Why is it worse falling off without a helmet, or wearing a helmet and being a dick and breaking your wrist?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Swinley crashes today’ is closed to new replies.