Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Swinley crash
  • rascott
    Free Member

Hi all
    Appreciate the kind words as always. Weeksy thank you so much but I’ve got my Mrs here keeping me supplied ( with nothing I can eat…yet) and I even have a copy of MBR taunting me. I was going send my x ray shots in to their Old Blokes Who Should Know Better section but they seem to have stopped doing that. I’ll post them here instead.

Anyway I’m actually feeling a lot better today. No one has threatened to put the tube back in. Small victories!!

Some doctors and med students are hovering so that might change!!!

rascott
    Free Member

Hi all
    Appreciate the kind words as always. Weeksy thank you so much but I’ve got my Mrs here keeping me supplied ( with nothing I can eat…yet) and I even have a copy of MBR taunting me. I was going send my x ray shots in to their Old Blokes Who Should Know Better section but they seem to have stopped doing that. I’ll post them here instead.

Anyway I’m actually feeling a lot better today. No one has threatened to put the tube back in. I’m possibly coming of nil by mouth soon and just managed to get out of bed into a chair a process that required the help of 3 physios

Small victories!!

rascott
    Free Member

Hi all, quick update

2 weeks in and hopefullly they’ll let me go home on Sunday or Monday. The bowel obstruction seems to have resolved. The physios are happy that I can hobble about on a zimmer frame or crutches adequately. The only other thing that happened this week was the wound started oozing, so they have applied a PICO dressing which draws out the moisture using suction and subject to that being OK I should be heading home soon. Taking it easy on the eating after being nil by mouth for best part of a week but mashed potato with gravy is good!

The surgeon stopped by today to give me some fun details. Apparently I had not broken my pelvis sufficiently at Swinley. I had only “bent and cracked” it. They had to fully break it in the op in order to get some muscle out of the way, it being easier to heal bone than muscle.

So now onto more physio (nearer home) and about 6 weeks on crutches or zimmer before I can put full weight through bad leg.

Thanks for your company over the past 2 weeks – your comments, observations, personal experiences and jokes and made the time pass quicker.

See you on the trails (maybe even Red7 at Swinley!)

Bob

jambalaya
    Free Member

Healing vibes. The physio path is a long one, be prepared for some scary muscle loss just lying in bed for a few weeks. FWIW I am hopeless at flat corners and am far more likely to crash on a faster pedally trail than something much steeper.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Red 7 you say…………

[video]http://youtu.be/1twoWkOwEbY[/video]

Rubber_Buccaneer

bowel obstruction seems to have resolved

Snigger, you’ve made me think of Carl Fogarty’s autobiography where he describes being given laxatives then flooding the place in shit while surrounded by attractive nurses 🙂 Hope you didn’t suffer the same

Rubber_Buccaneer

I even have a copy of MBR

Hope you’ve read that by now and know you wouldn’t have crashed if you had a 50mm stem and your forks were better at propping up the front end with small bump compliance and mid range support. Its the answer to everything 🙂

rascott
    Free Member

Thisisnotaspoon – wow – seemed to get you at the end? Very strange seeing this – pretty sure the bend where it happpned is at 8/9 seconds in – an easy flat left hand turn. Pretty sure I can see the stump passing by on the right hand side at that point. Thanks for the clip

Rubber – plenty of laxatives consumed this past fortnight but luckily everything mostly contained (apart from one enema incident that I won’t go into)

Character forming stuff

jambalaya
    Free Member

Here is me having totally failed to negotiate a flat corner at “speed” fortunately dead brambles and not a tree. The photos from my Jedi day show me failing to ride round a flat corner on the skills trail, he is a genius but can only do so much 😐

rascott
    Free Member

Jambalaya- I may invest in a coaching session with Jedi or someone similar once I can get on a bike again. Although I think pootling around on my local Hampshire bridleways will be enough for a while just to get my eye back in. I’ll avoid Swinley for a while i think. Long road ahead

duncancallum

I obliterated my acetabulm and damaged my femoral head. Had a 6 hour surgery. Blood transfusion the works.

Not a complete success but my hip replacement is as good as my pre smash hip

rascott
    Free Member

Ouch Duncan I think you won that one! My femur head OK, just the pelvis part. I had 2 units of blood a day after the surgery as my hemoglobin was dropping.

How long it was before you were walking normally again? I am touch weight only, ie 70:30 on the good side, for 6 weeks according to the physios. Better than the initial estimate which was 10 weeks.

I realise no 2 cases are the same but would be interested to know.

Bunnyhop

rascott – I really hope you recover fully and get back on the bike asap.

Another hip replacement here due to getting avascular necrosis ( 20% chance) after a femur break at the head. I was just unlucky. But I think you’ll be fine. Now I’m back on the MTB, but with very little confidence and walking down a lot of stuff I used to descend.

Get plenty of physiotherapy. Listen to the doctors, ask lots of questions and realise time, it’s all about the waiting game.

Good luck.

rascott
    Free Member

Hi Bunnhop good advice thanks. Physio starts next week and I may augment with a few sessions via private medical. I think I’ll be the same on the bike – will stick to local XC loops and take it nice and easy to start with.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Swinley crash’ is closed to new replies.