Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • swimmers – cramp in bottom of feet
  • antigee

well swimming isn’t my first choice of exercise and I can’t say I’ve swum more that say for 20mins or so as a warm down for about a year but this week my youngest has been doing a class so I’ve swam for 50minutes or so crawl and both times I’ve got cramp in the base of one or both feet more than once – usually after pushing off the wall at the end of a length (no fancy turns) switch to breast stroke and seems to shake out – any suggestions for avoiding?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Focus on your toes. Are they relaxed and pointed. Are they rigid and bent. The cramp off the wall is often a sign of the latter IMO and the extension of the wall is when you feel it.

Hope that helps

sweepy
    Free Member

I used to get this if I swam harder or further than usual. It fades as you get used to the new regime.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Swim more, it will then take longer to appear.

lilchris
    Free Member

I used to get this, and still do occasionally.

Improving breathing was the key in my case…..

bearnecessities

Actually, what THM said. I used to get that until I actually took some proper lessons and learned the shortcomings of my technique.

I was too stubborn to adopt most of changes, but the kick change was a revelation, and never had cramp since.

That’s just my experience though.

antigee

my technique isn’t great – “taught” by my brother who threw me in the deep end and due to school swimming lessons I can do amazing things in pj’s but have crap stroke and crap legwork and crap breathing – not that I’ve got cramp before – might have to bite the bullet and do the 6am stroke class – meanwhile I’ll check out what my toes are doing as did seem very specific to after turning thanks

mike_p
    Free Member

Take a bottle of water in with you and leave it at one end. The thing about swimming which most folk don’t appreciate is that you’re doing hard excercise in 28-30 deg heat, so you’re sweating but don’t notice as you’re already dripping wet. So you need to drink – avoiding cramp is more about hydration than conditioning. A mate of mine who’s an ex-England schools swimmer put me on to that, after 60+ lengths I really notice if I’ve not had anough water.

antigee

cheers mike – will try that as well – I’m one of those that does take a bottle on a 1hr ride! good chance not hydrated enough before starting – living down under at moment and has been hot and was out and about doing errands on way to pool

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘swimmers – cramp in bottom of feet’ is closed to new replies.