Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Swimmerists – front crawl advice please…
  • Stainypants

I first got into a pool 11 months ago and like you I could only manage a few lengths without being totally exhausted despite been pretty fit.

I got a couple of half hour lessons focusing in on slowing down my kick, constanly breathing outwater and little bit on hand placement.

I was good enough to get me through a sprint tri and then progress to a 1.9Km in a half iron man.

But I wasn’t really progressing so I went on a TI day workshop a few weeks ago. I tried to put everything in place at once and I sank.

This week I focussed on head position and saw some gains for the first time in months. I’m not sure the workshop was worth it but I’d definitely recommend getting some coaching or going to local masters class. In my area they cost the same as normal swimming session but you get some coaching thrown in

Edukator
    Free Member

So you wait until your arm is below your shoulder level before you use any power with it?

At full extension your arm will be at or slightly below shoulder level already. You’re as flat in the water as possible. When you start the movement you break the wrist and reach over the barrel – already you feel pressure on you hand and forearm that tells you are pulling forward (not pushing down!). Your elbow breaks and you feel the pressure on the forearm increase and you can pull harder – remember you’re trying to pull your body forward not your hand through the water. Various hand paths are possible but the simplest is your hand roughly along the centre line of your body through the middle part of the movement.

I’ve shared a swim line with some really good swimmers and their hands come out of the water almost exactly where they start to pull – their hand hardly moves in relation to the water but their body advances by the distance the hand moves in relation to the body.

I’m sure there are better explanations on line than I’m coming up with. I’ve had a few coaches and I’m just passing on the instructions that worked for me rather than the ones that didn’t – which is more down to me being a typically lousy traithlete swimmer than them being poor coaches.

jonwe
    Free Member

Another vote for total immersion. It’s all about technique and not power. If you’re out of puff you’re probably kicking too hard ( which in my case make **** all difference ) and trying to vapourise the water with your arms.

mogrim

Various hand paths are possible but the simplest is your hand roughly along the centre line of your body through the middle part of the movement.

At the same time avoid crossing over the line – which on a practical level means aim your hand at the far end of the pool, but in reality move inwards to the centre line.

iainc

For those of you who have mastered it, how many stokes for a 25m length ? I used to be around 22 but got it down to around 19 with Art Of Swimming/Shaw Method stuff. I’m still quite slow at 25 mins for 1.5k, but it’ll do for my level.

Caher

Swim 5-6k a week and as above technique? then it’s fitness again. Swimsmooth is helpful but focus on breathing and an efficient pull stroke.
    Suddenly it will all come right.
    I swim quite differently in the ocean though.

durhambiker
    Free Member

My average from the tri club session last night was about 16 per 25m length according to my 920xt. Covered 1900m in about 40 minutes actual swimming time, including a few hundred metres of drills.

Anyone got tips for avoiding pool flu? Been useless with severe hayfever-like symptoms today, and always the same the day after a swim.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Really trying can get the stroke count down to 14 per length regularly about 17. Really enjoy when the coach wants us to breathe every ninth stroke.

docgeoffyjones

The aqua notes on the raceclub website are worth a look:

http://theraceclub.com/category/aqua-notes/

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

My vaguely helpful post is to get a little coaching. As with so many things, you’ll be on such a steep learning curve that the first few lessons are mind blowing.

I knocked 30% off a 50m freestyle in a single 30 minute lesson. I’m a sinker. I’m confident swimming in waves etc, but (was) shockingly inefficient in a pool

I had the pleasure of watching the 6-8 year old school team this morning before my 3 year-old’s lesson. Technique is a large part of it. They glide so effortlessly that when they do put the hammer down, it’s like watching a shark!

I don’t think any explanation in text will be as helpful as 1 or 2 lessons with someone watching your specific stroke and telling you wht can be improved.

bensales
    Free Member

iainc – Member
    For those of you who have mastered it, how many stokes for a 25m length ? I used to be around 22 but got it down to around 19 with Art Of Swimming/Shaw Method stuff. I’m still quite slow at 25 mins for 1.5k, but it’ll do for my level.

1:40 per 100 is pretty damn quick to me! I can’t go much faster than 2 min per 100.

I’m confused on the strokes per length though. I assume you’re counting both arms? My Garmin reports me on 11 per length which is only one arm. This is this morning’s swim, for example, and was quick for me.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1626362505

iainc

Ben, yes, both arms. I used to be over an hour for 1500m and around 22 strokes per length, but went for Art of Swimming tuition which smoothed off the technique and made it a bit faster, for less effort !

bensales
    Free Member

Indeed, I’m gradually getting the hang of the putting less effort to go faster thing!

Quite counter intuitive for a runner 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Swimmerists – front crawl advice please…’ is closed to new replies.