Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sweet spot for shimano BB?
  • pedlad

Just wondering what’s considered the best performance Vs £ version ?

scamperjenkins
    Free Member

For years I’ve used the traditional shimano BB, deore, XT and saint. To be fair isn’t a massive amount of difference between them when I’ve picked them apart – the odd extra or slightly better plastic seal.

However the later XT M800 (?) version with the smaller cups (use the provided BB tool insert), seems to later a lot longer.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Had an XT 8000 last 3 months and was replaced no quibble by CR within a couple of days and binned it as they didnt want it back. I was given another the same . I have an XTR in another bike which ‘seems’ to run smoother on the spin test . I do have 3 others on M8000’s though, so how the water got in the one that failed, I have no idea ( In eccentric BB shell, so must have entered the seals).
    Must admit, as a whole for the cost, they are hard to beat.

scaredypants

For the mtb I like Saint as they’ve nice long inserts (or used to; it’s been a while since bought one)

Road bike, I think 105ish level is where I’ve stopped

chakaping
    Free Member

Whichever one is going cheap, they all seem to last reasonably well these days.

Even race Face ones are ok now.

malv173
    Free Member

I recently bought an Uberbike stainless steel BB. It seems lovely. Plus the bearings are replaceable at only 15 quid. It seems really nice and smooth. Should last a decent while with proper care.

endomick
    Free Member

The plastic bearing covers are £4 each though if you damage them, mine is still going strong so I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it, unless you’ve done it and know the covers can survive the bearing removal in one piece. That £15 can turn to £23. Impressive bottom bracket so far though.
    XT used to be top dog when you could find them for £13 about a year or two ago, I think those days are long gone now thanks to Boris, but if you like blinging your bike up for a few quid extra uberbike wins.

gkeeffe

XT for me. Keep the preload to a minimum
    and they last for ever.

Fat-boy-fat

Chris King 😉

cookeaa

I’ve had a couple of hope BBs and replaced bearing on them, but in all honesty if it’s £/mile I reckon Shimano are better value, just a bit more throw away…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sweet spot for shimano BB?’ is closed to new replies.