Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Sweaty office workers, unite!
  • kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

The wall next to me is mostly glass. It’s sunny, and I’m literally* melting.

Yea, first world problems and all that, but this is grim.

*By which I mean figuratively

martinhutch

Your username suggests you should pull yourself together.

IGMC etc

trailwagger
    Free Member

Doesn’t that mean your allowed to go home or something?

tthew

No, there’s a lower temperature limit but no higher one. You should have a risk assessment for hot working areas at that temperature with WBGT (wet bulb globe temperature) monitoring, schedules rest breaks in a cool area, cool drinks available and health surveillance as possible control measures. 😳

franksinatra

I work in a post WW2 ‘temporary’ building manufactured by the Bristol Aircraft Company. It is made nearly exclusively out of aluminium and glass. The windows only open a few inches and it does not benefit from any natural shade such as tree cover. We do not have air conditioning.

mattbee

Pah. I do feel your pain but it’s not just you office workers.

A couple of years ago we were painting the steels in a swimming pool roof via roped access. In June and July.

Regular temps over 40deg. It would take a good 15-20 min to get into position then you’d have about the same again to paint (pyrolitic paint so it cured much faster in that heat, pot life ended up being about an hour)  before getting back down and going for a lie down/shower/drink and then repeating the process.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you not just turn the AC down a notch or two ?

– I’m ever thankful that im now in an location where thats an option.

MY previous locations up and down west africa you’d walk out the door and turn into a melting icelolly.

I thought they kept you engineer types with your colouring pencils in the basement away from clients ? a glass-walled basement ?

Alphabet

Like everyone else on here do you not work in IT? If it’s really hot I usually find something to do in the server room to cool down.

onehundredthidiot

Being a Scottish teacher. I’ve walked the dogs by the river and in 30 mins I’m starting the drive to France

Only 5 weeks left.

Nico
    Free Member

Being a Scottish teacher. I’ve walked the dogs by the river and in 30 mins I’m starting the drive to France

The auld alliance.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I thought they kept you engineer types with your colouring pencils in the basement away from clients ? a glass-walled basement ?

It’s actually the analysis dungeon I work in. It’s a modern-day dungeon though, it lulls you into a false sense of ‘this isn’t too bad, really’ then gives you heat stroke on sunny days.

funkmasterp

Pah! I’ve worked in a mill and a bakery. That’s pretty much a cool temperature you’re looking at there.

richardkennerley

I work in s microbiology lab, we have a “hot room,” a walk in incubator set at 37 degrees. There’s days where the laboratory is hotter than the hot room because we have a lab full of fridges, computers and incubators kicking out heat and no air con. And we all have to wear lab coats.

I still never moan about summer days being “too hot” though, love proper summer weather and never wish away the nice days!!

madmechanist
    Free Member

Correct the upper limit is subject to your employers consideration of ‘safe and healthy working environment’. . But can get round this by limiting work rate, increasing breaks and water(bottled or filtered usually) – possibly chilled on tap at your employers expense..

But work in a garage on the first floor with skylight.. Regularly hit 35°c+ in the summer and a few days hot cut short when we hit 45°c and got sent home early..

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

This morning I was cutting down bracken in a church yard. This afternoon I was dead heading roses in a centuries old garden. Good riddance office life.

andy5390

Pffft…… I work in a foundry, wearing thick woollen trousers and jacket, leather gauntlets and a helmet with full visor and protective neck cape. Floor temps are regularly in the 40s, but it’s much hotter working on a ladle with half a ton of molten (750 deg C) aluminuim. I would kill for a cool 30

project
    Free Member

Today spent 3 hours fitting a new front door in direct sunshine and very hot, then onto a 20 min drive with no air con, to rip up the carpets in an old house and rip out wardrobes in rooms with direct sun on us,then had to carry 4 rooms of carpet in pieces down stairs and into a large van followed by built in wardrobes, ran out of water to drink, then an hour home in a van with no air con.

Strangely i choose to do that, just like office workers choose to work in nice warm offices in the winter, when im outside in minus temperatures.

pondo

Spent the day training folks in a windowless, airless office full of PCs and lights, which was moderately if not uncomfortably warm. Now feet up in a cooler hotel room overlooking the sea with a cold beer and a great book. I like summer. 🙂

zippykona

Pah , I work in an air conned shop in t shirt and shorts, bare foot.

I feel you pain brother.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I work in s microbiology lab, we have a “hot room,” a walk in incubator set at 37 degrees. There’s days where the laboratory is hotter than the hot room because we have a lab full of fridges, computers and incubators kicking out heat and no air con. And we all have to wear lab coats.

I still never moan about summer days being “too hot” though, love proper summer weather and never wish away the nice days!!

Having a micro lab the same temperature as your culture room sounds nice and compliant.

jeffl

I’m stuck on a cross country train where they seem to have turned the AC up to 11. I’ve had to move seat and sit on the sunny side to try and warm up, brrrr. Oh well only 2 1/2 hours to go.

MoreCashThanDash

I spent the day walking round town in the sunshine to different offices, carrying an increasingly heavy bag of files.

It was warm. I had to stop and have an ice cream and watch the scenery go by.

BoardinBob

Joys of working from home

Shorts and a wife beater today😎

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve been sending angry emails to our facilities services helpdesk as it’s 28-29c at my desk (secure office so no windows that open and the air con isn’t working), I guess I shouldn’t complain too much given some of the posts above but I’m fed up of getting a banging headache by 3pm :p

DrJ

a wife beater

I can’t find these in the M&S catalogue 🙁

breadcrumb

Our workshop hits similar temperatures to the OP, but we’re in overalls, with welding sets. Not sitting fairly still.

DezB
    Free Member

Show us your Modern Toss pic, OP!

onehundredthidiot

Last month our technicians lab was 42degrees and 65 by the radiator which was still on because heating is controlled by an office 30 miles away.

nicko74

WBGT (wet bulb globe temperature)

Is that the same as the ballchafe test?!

maccruiskeen

Sweaty office workers, unite!

Group hug?

miketually
    Free Member

I teach in two classrooms: our first year lab is air conditioned and the teacher I share it with likes it cold; our second year lab has no AC plus south-facing windows, only two of which open. It’s fun trying to choose the right clothing for work.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Show us your Modern Toss pic, OP!

You’ve got a keen eye!

<deleted due to language, sorry – Mod>

In other news, I have at least partially alleviated the problem through the medium of fashion (or lack thereof).

What I’ve done is team the usual office attire with the only plain black shorts I own. Everyone hardly anyone thinks it looks ridiculous, and I’ve got nice cool legs.

The MD did include ‘please wear trousers’ on a customer meeting request he sent me, but I assume that’s because he doesn’t want me to waste valuable meeting time giving fashion tips (the attendees would, naturally, recognise an officewear pioneer when they see one).

matt_outandabout

Slip on shoes? We have surpassed cfh shoe style now…

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Sweaty office workers, unite!’ is closed to new replies.