Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Sweaty Head Syndrome
  • oomidamon

After about half an hour of riding my lid (Xen) starts dripping sweat above my right eye. This is annoying me so I’d appreciate suggestions for a cure.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Take your helmet off?

*runs away and hides*

Onzadog
    Free Member

I little smear of vasaline will waterproof the eyebrow and make the sweat run down the side of it.

twohats
    Free Member

Put a disposable nappy under your helmet.

cheers_drive

I really suffer from a sweaty head too, with the added discomfort of wearing contact lenses. It seems to be worse in the last year too and I’ve given up on wearing riding glasses when its hot or humid. Why can’t helmet pads channel the sweat away from your face?

mrsflash
    Free Member

wear a buff underneath your helmet.

andywhit
    Free Member

buff seconded, does the trick for me.

40mpg

Buff. Soaks up loads (has to with me). Single thickness in summer (pirate style), doubled in winter. I’ve also got one I cut in half and use as a headband under my helmet when its really hot.
    Stops bugs biting my balding dome too 🙂

Bimbler
    Free Member

Better vented lid?

oomidamon

Thanks, I’ll give the Buff a try, I’d wondered about a skullcap type thing but thought that would be a bit too darkside…

alexpalacefan

Sweat-band. A la Bjon Borg, John McEnroe, or my favourite, Mark Knopfler (money for nothing, anyone???)

A

pypdjl
    Free Member

Get yourself one of these

TheDoog
    Free Member

Buff without doubt, wash it lots to avoid sock type aromas. Just seen the Gutr, only in America.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I always ride in a (not the) Buff. Must have piece of kit.

bent_udder
    Free Member

I’ve got a Xen for winter, and a Hex for summer – it’s all in the venting. I found the Xen a bit too hot, and had exactly the same problem.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I often hear good things about the Halo headband but only availible in the States I believe

headfirst
    Free Member

Oh my god, that GUTR thing that pypdjl links to is making me gip! What a minging idea and how much of a complete nonce would you look wearing one of them?

bikemonkey
    Free Member

I also have exactly the same problem with the Xen so have bought an E2 for Summer.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Haha, the gutr is great! Seriously, I have got one and it really does work. Although you do get some funny looks…

TheDoog
    Free Member

It’d be a good idea if it had a fall pipe attached to it, it seems to just direct the sweat down the sides of your head.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Keeps it out of your eyes though, which is the important thing.

enfht
    Free Member

Stick a sanitary towel on your forehead?

psychle
    Free Member

That gutr thing looks very bloody useful actually… certainly wouldnt look any dumber than wearing a sweat band! I hate getting sweat on my sunglasses, though I’ve just become resigned to it… maybe I should buy one and give it a whirl 😀

headfirst
    Free Member

Actually after my initial knee-jerk reaction I’m coming round to the gutr thingy – if it does the job and doesn’t make my head hotter (like sweatbands, bandanas,etc) then I can see the appeal…

<reaches for credit card>

TheDoog
    Free Member

I’d get one if they fitted a drain pipe which went back into the hydro-pack (thru a filter of course)

abductee
    Free Member

Dibbs
    Free Member

If you’re sweating you’re working far too hard, get off the bike and take a break 😀

cheers_drive

I’m sure I designed that Gutr thing in my head the other day. There’s no UK distributor though

cheers_drive

I’m sure I designed that Gutr thing in my head the other day. There’s no UK distributor though

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Another Buff voter here too.

Keeps your nappa warm in the winter, stops sweat dripping into your eyes in the summer.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dibbs – Member

If you’re sweating you’re working far too hard, get off the bike and take a break

I’m with you on this one Dibbs.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I have this – started removing helmet on climbs (only fire roads) and other pootle along bits of my rides when warm.. always put it back on for techy bits tho’
    I started using a bandanna – good for keeping the sweat from eyes but increased heat on head..

lovewookie

The sweat Gutr is great. I bought one about 6 months ago as I’m a sweaty git and it works a treat. You do need to periodically tilt your head though, just to empty the channel as it were. As it directs sweat down your temples it seems to cool you a bit better too.

very easy to clean too.

zaskar
    Free Member

Get a really great vented helmet or shave your head.

Bell have good vents and Spesh but they cost £50 notes+

I use a Bell sweep-great vent. Getting cheaper now as it’s been around.

Better colours available now too.

coatesy
    Free Member

Tried shaving my head to reduce heat, but just made the sweat run easier. Ended up wearing a bandana for the winter,and had one cut down to form a headband for the summer.

zaskar
    Free Member

Strange. I can’t stand the cold weather-I feel ill but in the summer I can do 10 mile jogs or ride and I don’t sweat?

Probably the African genes in there switching on from 1000’s of yrs of being dormant.

Or I just like the heat and hate the cold?

Global warming here I come!

Seriously-check your jersey-thin, breathable and high wicking for summer.

oomidamon

Gutr available in Ireland: http://www.irishfit.eu/sweatgutrmain.html

oomidamon
    jakeyc
    Free Member

There is another UK site here: http://www.sweathead.co.uk

PiknMix
    Free Member

I have a Gutr I bought it just to see if it worked, surprisingly its actually a decent bit of kit if you can get over the fact you have a drainpipe on your forehead. you don't even notice it once its on and is cooler (temperature wise) than a buff.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Sweaty Head Syndrome’ is closed to new replies.