Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Sweating when exercising
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Since I’ve been training for this Half marathon I’m doing, I’ve joined a Gym, apparently the AC isn’t exactly functioning properly.

However last night I ran for 45 minutes on the tread mill – ran 8k’s yey – then cycled for a further 25 minutes, but when I was finished I was absolutley dripping in sweat from the upper half of my body, we’re talking enough to wring out my t-shirt!!

I do seem to get a sweaty back quite easily, but I’ve never sweated this much before, during the summer when I’m riding the sweat can drip off me, but not quite ot this extnent.

Is it down to the warm room with little air flow or is it something with me?

stumpy01

It’s more to do wit the lack of airflow and the room might be a bit on the humid side.
    I always end up with sweat absolutely dripping off me in the gym.

All exercise in the gym is static (well, you dont’ go anywhere) but outside you are generally moving, so wafting air over your sweaty skin. This evaporates which is the mechanism that actually keeps you cool.
    In a gym you don’t get the air movement, so the sweat doesn’t evaporate, but your body doesn’t know that so it just keeps sweating.

I once read that you sweat even when you are swimming!

willard

Hell, I run outside three times a week (training for a 10k) and I sweat buckets too. Being outside is more fun than the gym. Try it…

steve_b77
    Free Member

Cheers guys,

Willard – I will do in a couple of weeks once i get used to this running malarky

sofatester
    Free Member

Running on a treadmill is nothing like the “real world”. Cancel your gym membership and get some decent trainers!

Olly
    Free Member

Betty Swollocks

jojoA1
    Free Member

I always feel very embarrased by the amount I sweat at the gym, but I cope by telling myself that at least I’m using the place properly, unlike some of the other ladies who go in with hair and makeup perfect, spend an hour on the recumbent exercise bike whilst reading a magazine and leave equally immaculate.

I leave a beetroot, sweaty, mess and get funny looks at the supermarket where I go to get a post workout snack.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve never understood why people go to a gym to run or ride.

jojoA1
    Free Member

When the weather is arctic or otherwise disgusting and the pavements/other runnign surfaces are like an ice rink. Also in one’s lunch hour, it is easier to do a quick change in and out of gym kit and get a reasonable work-out than it is to get into full biking kit, get a decent ride in and back to work looking vaguely presentable.

Sometimes, it’s just less faff.

enfht
    Free Member

“I’ve never understood why people go to a gym to run or ride”

Totally agree, but I wouldn’t mind trying a swimming machine if they ever invent one..

Most people I’ve known who use gyms end up going simply because they’ve paid the membership so they “need to” go. This psychological aspect seems to eventually put them off going because it’s been “forced” upon them. I guess if I’d paid for a MTB membership I’d eventually end up feeling I “had to” go which might put me off too. Luckily for me I’m able to fool myself into believing that mtb’ing is a “free” pastime even though I spend all my hard earned on bits and bobs and bikes and stuff and this and that etc etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You sweat loads while swimming, about 600ml per hour if your going at a reasnoble intensity.

Still under half what you’d sweat running etc.

No idea what sweating is like in a gym, guess its more dependant on humidity etc.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Luckily we have a decent ‘municipal’ local authority subsidised gym with no membership fee and low session fees. I always prefer to ride/run properly where this is convenient.

steve_b77
    Free Member

sofatester – Member
    Running on a treadmill is nothing like the “real world”. Cancel your gym membership and get some decent trainers!

I joined the gym ‘cos I didn’t fancy running round a town I’d just moved to on my own as I didn’t know what the place was like when it goes dark – country bumpkin you see.

As for the decent trainers, got those sorted one out-door/forest pair for the weekends back home (Nike Air Trail Alvord) and a pair of Nike+ Bowerman Series summit or others, that are very comfortable, what made you assume that because I run in Gym I don;t have proper runnign shoes?

miketually – Member

See above, the post wasn’t a question of wether or not I should run in the gym but about sweating while there.

I don’t understand why people do a lot of things, but I don’t go off topic because I think that if I come across all self righteous and question the reason behind something not even linked to the original question will let me air my pointless thoughts and get some “me” time on the forum.

phiiiiil

Despite riding 13 hilly miles a day to work I get far sweatier doing just a few miles at the gym. I put it down to non-existent airflow and the fact that it always seems really warm in there – it’s perfectly comfortable to just stand around with just a t-shirt and shorts on, which strikes me as far too warm for doing any proper exercise. The cynic in me thinks it’s an ideal temperature for those who go to the gym to say they go rather than to actually do any exercise.

If you can get on a bike or treadmill in the draught of the fan on a rower it’s much better… 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Totally agree, but I wouldn’t mind trying a swimming machine if they ever invent one..

They do. They are like a small swimming pool with hugs pumps that pump the water at you at whatever pace you want. Incredibly expensive, but really quite cool 🙂

http://www.swimmingtreadmills.com/

miketually
    Free Member

Or think skinned and very defensive?

😉

enfht
    Free Member

I meant a swimming machine where you aren’t immersed in water

willard

Some sort of non-swimming, lying down and moving arms and legs machine?

Today was a lovely run… 5.25 miles around the crappy village here, but up a couple of inclines, round a lake or two and all in the crisp, clear sunny outside. All told, 44 minutes well spent (which is too long. Must go faster).

Still sweated buckets though.

steve_b77
    Free Member

enfht – Member
    I meant a swimming machine where you aren’t immersed in water

Now that would look like something touted in the late 50’s that was meant to revolutionise the way we’d live in the future, like flying cars and robot maids 😆

miketually
    Free Member

Now that would look like something touted in the late 50’s that was meant to revolutionise the way we’d live in the future, like flying cars and robot maids

Or treadmills and indoor bicycles?

Or gyms with huge car parks and escalators? 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hand bike must be fairly similar, or a rower?

samuri
    Free Member

a swimming machine like this?

miketually
    Free Member

😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

miketually
    Free Member

You must mean

That picture’s blocked here. Is it the same one I just posted? 🙂

DrJ

To run – because it’s a lot kinder on my knees. To ride – I agree!!

enfht
    Free Member

Thanks Samuri, at which gym was that photo taken and how much is the membership?

Count
    Free Member

I run lunchtimes on a treadmill, I work in the City so it is best use of limited time to hack to the gym, change quick, run and back in an hour. I can run about 6km or so and not be missing for an extended time. I am not convinced running in London would be a good bet at lunchtimes, too many variables to deal with.

I also sweat with impunity when running and figure it’s normal given the intensity. I find running harder as a constant effort than mountain biking. I run outside at weekends and maybe summer evenings. Most people who have a go at treadmills are just running and nothing else (I also do weights so need to be in a proper gym).

Listening to music and zoning in at a constant pace on a treadmill for about 30 minutes lunchtimes is like meditation for me, I’d recommend it to anyone.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Sweating when exercising’ is closed to new replies.