Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Swapping the T6 Caravelle for big estate – terrible idea? and which estate?
  • big_scot_nanny

Really thinking hard about doing this, but are we making a terrible mistake to change? and which estate would be best for comfort and reliability?

Note: the big old fast estate thread is not helping! Also note: we bought our first caravelle years ago due to this forum, so maybe you can help us extricate ourselves 🙂

Usage: Family of 5, small dog. Lots of activity based detritus (water/hill/ski/mtb related). occasional European romps to visit friends in CH and ski/mtb, plus UK mid distance holiday/trips. Have a tow ball bike rack and various roof bar based acccessories.

Reasons for getting rid of T6 Caravelle: It is our second car, wee Leon does all the day to day. It’s a lot of cash sat on the drive for something that gets little use. Usage has changed quite a bit – we don’t need 7 seats any more, we don’t need the ability to walk about inside that was so wonderful when kids were toddlers/babies. Most of the stuff we use we hang off it anyway (e.g. Kayak, bikes). Most (actually, nearly all) of the time the table and 2 captains passenger chairs are in the garage. It drinks fuel (is a 204), and everything about it is expensive. having the Leon has reminded us just how badly the T6 drives (crashy suspension unless fully loaded, wallows in corners, hateful DSG, far too little legroom in the drivers seat for me at 195cm so my knees ache esp after a big day out, noisy, terrifying in a strong wind), we are being offered A LOT of cash for it right now.

Reasons for keeping it: we love it, have had T5/6 now for 8yrs, flexibility is spectacular, there is basically nothing we can’t carry if needed.

If we sell and buy a used big estate, it would put a huge chunk of cash into the extension we are building on the house, and in many other ways we would be better off.

What think thee? I think I’ve pretty much convinced myself, but always good to hear other opinions.

Also for reliability and seating 5: 4/5yr old V90, Skoda Superb or Merc E? (I’m leaning towards Skoda)

Ta muchly!

ta11pau1

Biased, but a superb is a ‘superb’ choice. 😁

If you get a MK3 version you’ll get Android auto/carplay and any number of options depending on spec level.

Either of the 2l TDI engines are good, DSG boxes are also good on these, and they’re palatial inside. I’ve had 5 blokes, about 10 wheels + assorted bags/helmets with 2 bikes on the towbar with no fuss. 45mpg town driving, 55mpg on a long run.

They had an optional foldaway towbar, if you can I recommend trying to find one with this option ticked as it’s very well integrated.

matt_outandabout

Ford Galaxy or Smax.

tthew

For me, I’d consider a smaller van-based car. Ford Connect Tourneo or similar.

mtbfix

We swapped our SMax for a Mondeo a few years ago as I thought we didn’t need the extra space. Turns out we did. Mind, or kids are 7 and 12 so always come with to places and the dog is of a size to take up half the boot.

sharkattack

having the Leon has reminded us just how badly the T6 drives

You’re not allowed to say that on here. Vans drive just as good as cars don’t ya know, especially posh ones like yours.

mashr

Vans really are terrible, you should give me yours. In fact, I’ll trade you for a far better Mondeo estate

funkrodent

As said above, Ford SMax or Galaxy. Still have lots of space and flexibility, drive pretty much like a car, reliable, comfortable (I’m 6’4″ and there’s loads of space). Reasonably economical, good engines. Best of both worlds!

scud
    Free Member

I would second something like an S-Max, been great with kids and i have had a C-Max and an S-Max, have had 4 adults and bikes in easily, plus they just have lots of kid friendly features, my daughter tells me off every time she now has to get in my “normal” car as she doesn’t have her own tray, power point, storage cubby hole etc for all her gumph, plus comfortable and easy to do long miles in.

matt_outandabout

FWIW, our estate now works well now the kids are near adults. However we have usually only two or three of us on board, all 5 is a once every couple of months rarity. Even holidays the last couple of years have been only four of us. We have two cars – and one of the lads has driven a second vehicle for holidays the last couple of years.

Could I have used the estate when the kids were between about 7-16? Not without compromises for holiday or weekends out. I *filled* that Galaxy on two week holidays, the extra width on the rear seats, ability for them to tip etc was great on longer journey’s, plus the extra space to mount things helped. I cannot do boats and bikes on the estate.

We looked at vans – and decided the cost was too high for minimal gain.

People carriers have been brilliant for the age your family is at.

ta11pau1

I will say you might miss the flexibility that an MPV or van based vehicle gives you. With a big estate you’re generally limited to the boot or folding down the seats, and that’s about it.

a11y

I’ve owned vans for 14 years – a camper conversion T5 and now a Transit Custom double-cab/5-seater – and do wonder if I really need one. A car or MPV would be comfier, more efficient, it’d actually handle, and be cheaper to insure, etc.

Then I realise I’m too used to the van: its noisy, slow, rolls and bounces along while only doing 35-40mpg, but it’s also cavernous, has secure bike storage, the flexibility, its relaxing to drive, and it’s the ultimate tip run vehicle. So for the moment I’ll stick with my van.

I also have a car but that’s more of a toy and once I sell it I’ll be solely driving a van.

Could I have used the estate when the kids were between about 7-16? Not without compromises for holiday or weekends out. I *filled* that Galaxy on two week holidays

Substitute ‘Galaxy’ for ‘Transit Custom double-cab’ and that’s me, kids are at the lower end of that age bracket and the van’s come into its own over the past couple of years doing much more outdoorsy stuff as a family. We completely filled our van (LWB double-cab, so big but not mahoosive cargo area) for a 10-day camping holiday AND used a roofbox for extra capacity. Fair enough that included 4 x bikes inside the van but having the bikes travel internally is a big plus for me. Van gets used most weeks to reach my local trails (25min drive) and it’s great for lobbing a mucky bike in quickly post-ride, and stops me offending the locals when I get changed.

What think thee? I think I’ve pretty much convinced myself, but always good to hear other opinions.

I could do all I’ve mentioned above with a car or MPV (like ‘normal’ people do), but it’d be a different set of compromises to those I have with a van. The question is: what type of compromises are you happiest with?

DickBarton

Sell it, put some of the money aside for another large car some time down the line and put rest in extension. Sounds like the second car won’t be needed for a while so sell whilst money is good and hold off and buy when prices (hopefully) drop a bit and get an even bigger bargain.

5lab

you’ll fill whatever vehicle you have when you go camping. if you’re in someting smaller, you just take less stuff.

highlandman
    Free Member

Superb. Because they are. Boat on top, bikes off or in the back, kit in the boot and leave the kids at home/ in kennels. I can fit enough kit inside and on top of mine to equip a decent field hospital at events.
    60mpg is achievable over a fill of fuel with sensible driving in the summertime.
    Cheaper parts, insurance…

benp1

I’ve come into a T6 from a previous run of estates. Don’t see me going back anytime soon because even without the stuff/kids/dog I use it for biking and spend about a week a year sleeping it

BUT, if you’re not planning to use all that space, the price of them has gone absolutely mental so you might as well cash in. If you plan to buy another one day, then I’d just hold onto it

Prices are unlikely to massively drop back down anytime soon, particularly for Caravelles, they’re just likely to ease off at some point

StuF

One thing with large estates is most of them the middle seat at the back is compromised, something like a Galaxy has 3 full size seats. For really long drives one of them can sit in the 3rd row to give them loads of space so they’re not niggling each other (anything for a quiet life 🙂 )

Now I’m looking forward to not needing to transport 3 kids across the back any more as they’ve mostly left home, also fast estate thread not helping.

db

Yes it’s a terrible idea. Every time you stop at a set of lights and a Transporter pulls up you will sigh a little and think about the good times. You will then look down at the Skoda logo in your steering well, try and tell yourself it’s a VW really, you will the look at the multifunction computer and believe you are saving yourself 5mpg (and the planet) and try to feel good about your life.
    Your partner will ask what’s wrong and you will say nothing, I’m fine whilst feeling empty and hollow inside.

Keep the T6.

DrP

How.
    Much.
    For .
    The….
    Van….

Must….
    Avoid…
    Buying g…
    Van….
    For..
    Family…
    Of…
    6…

So much want..

DrP

jam-bo

We have a T5 kombi and a Subaru Outback, I’ve done less than 4000 miles in the T5 in the last  2 years and 20,000 in the Subaru. Unless I need to take a shit load of stuff I’ll take the Subaru every time.

however,  can’t quite bring myself to sell the T5

mashr

db

Yes it’s a terrible idea. Every time you stop at a set of lights and a Transporter pulls up you will sigh a little and think about the good times.

So much this. Went from Kombi to Mondeo and I’m not sure I’ll ever get over it. MPG in the Mondeo is basically the same too

joebristol

I think the suggestions of the Ford Galaxy type vehicle are probably a good one for you. It’ll be nearer a car driving experience but still with loads of space.

I’ve got a big estate (Jaguar XF) and with a 5 year old child, a wife and a small dog it’s just about got enough space for a weeks holiday away. It was brimmed with stuff on the last one – although we didn’t have to resort to a roof box tbf. The Qashqai my wife has wouldn’t have fitted so much in so easily I don’t think and the previous Jaguar XE would have totally needed a roof box.

I love the thing as it’s rear wheel drive and quite quick (250bhp / 2 litre petrol turbo), has loads of toys, drives nicely and the boot is enormous. Rear passenger legroom also decent despite the rear wheel drive layout. Middle seat less good on legroom due to the propshaft running down the middle.

If you can find an estate that doesn’t have a rear wheel drive or 4 wheel drive layout option the middle seat is likely to have better legroom.

So for me it’s perfect – I chuck loads of bike crap in the boot / trips to the tip are easy / I can carry 5 people ok / it has roof rails as standard so I’ve got really neat Thule edge roof bars that clamp on and still look decent etc.

I think going from something huge to an estate you might struggle.

In terms of options I considered the XF / Superb / Audi A6 / BMW 5 series mainly. Merc E-classes were well out of budget.

In the end the XF provided the nicest looking car and the best value for what I got. The Superbs got very expensive – near enough the same as the equivalent A6 – and the interiors are more utilitarian than the Jag.

hot_fiat

I’m really struggling to get rid of our T6 velle. Despite prices being amazing at present, I can’t find anything to replace it with and tempt me to let it go. Merc have given up making the v until at least Easter, the custom tourneo we had on hire was truly hideous and the rear seats in a space tourer clone are bloody awful (they appear to have increased rear space by making them 30mm off the carpet and about the size of a camping stool).

Dad and bro in law both have superbs, which are, well, generally superb, but the middle rear seat is woeful when they’re 5-up.

There’s nothing that comes close to a velle if you want 5( well actually 7)proper seats. They do drive like a 20 year old van and the quality is haphazard though.

bails

Superb here too. It’s not a van but it’s huge as estates go. I’ve got the 220hp petrol which is quick, quiet, smooth, but nowhere near as economical as the diesels.

Waderider
    Free Member

I’ve got a V90 and love it. But I don’t think it’s for you, smallest boot of the three you mention. We’re only two folk and a dog so big enough for us.

phil5556

They do drive like a 20 year old van

Phew, for a while I thought it was just me. The FB groups & forums always used to go on about how they “drive just like a car”. They don’t, or at least none of mine ever did.

They drive like a nice van though and are pretty comfy, nicer than the Citroen Relay we have now. That really does drive like a van!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Honda CRV, everyone will hate you for buying an SUV but they are surprisingly economical, a TARDIS, and it’s good for trundling, Honda reliability, get a cheap mark 2 diesel or later and just run it into the ground, bank the cash

paulwf

Is your T6 in warranty? I just had the engine software updated at the dealers due to DSG poor behaviour and it is a lot better now.
    In the past I had an air-cooled VW van and an E class estate. I couldn’t go back to the E-class, the suspension was better though.
    I had the V6, so the economy was about the same as the T6 anyway. Estates are often quite low, and it often used to scrape in the parking areas for outdoor places.

intheborders
    Free Member

If you only use it when you need to and it’s a bit heavy on fuel (compared to an efficient car I guess?) does it really matter as the option is a car that won’t do what you need?

And the money towards the extension – how much will that actually save you per week/month – i.e. is it worth losing the ability of the van for a few quid extra a week?

As to how it drives, it’s a van – every van I’ve ever been in drives like a van, although compared to the Bedford CF I drove as a teenager I’m sure they’ve come on a bit…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve got a Superb. Its big, but its no MPV or van.

VanHalen

If you don’t like it – sell it and buy an mpv sized thing especially of you are offered daft money.

You can always get another van if you need to go back. It doesn’t need to be a posh vw with the extra scene tax either.

I went from a van to a large estate years ago. Packing bikes etc is a pain. Nowhere to sleep on weekends away. No nice coffee at the trails. But now have 2 vans (one is a classic so doesn’t really count but is the one I use the most because it’s rad and I don’t mind filling it with crap)

singletrackmind

Off the wall suggestion, hyundai i800 people carrier.
    Only because i parked next to one in tesco car park. It isn’t much longer than a v70 bit ad its a cube shape its internal volume looked awesome
    Might be worth a Google to check mpg and values, but to me it seemed a great compromise between estate and van.

nixie

One thing to consider is that most estates have compromised middle footspace due to the transmission tunnel. All varients (Inc FWD) have it even when it’s only used on the all wheel drive version.

chakaping
    Free Member

I love my van – but the main reason is the convenience and security of easy, out-of-sight bike storage.

And the ability the carry loads of stuff when required.

If it wasn’t for the former, I’d sell it now and buy a people carrier or estate. May still have to do that when the MCR ULEZ comes in.

scuttler

There’s nothing that comes close to a velle if you want 5( well actually 7)proper seats.

Cali Beach 😉

rsl1
    Free Member

If you use it so little, can you not just sell it and rent the same thing when needed? Savings in tax/insurance would surely add up to a nice little rental money pot

Paul-B

Interesting conundrum. Thing is, if you get rid and you miss it then getting another is going to be a massive PITA and cost you plenty.
    On the other hand, why have all that cash sitting there doing nothing when you could, as you say, put the money into paying for your extension.
    I’d be out test driving as many different cars as possible but a big Volvo, Skoda Superb, Merc E-Class are a good place to start.

The whole ‘I need a van’ thing and their use as a fashion accessory is pretty cringeworthy…I say that as a former T4 owner…maybe I’m just jealous as I half wanted another but the prices are quite frankly disgusting. I’ll stick with my Octavia VRS estate.

big_scot_nanny

Thanks all, some great opinions. marvellous.

The funniest person in this is my missus. Very resistant to change. In 2014 we traded the Touran for our first T5, and she was really not happy. Now, 8yrs later and loving driving a van, she couldn’t imagine getting rid of it… until we got the Leon and then she and I both had the realisation of how lovely a quiet, comfortable and nice riding ‘car’ can be. Ha!

I can’t get another people carrier – touran/smax/galaxy etc are just so… compromised. I despise anything ‘average’. I would rather have something clear about what it does well. I hated the Touran as it was just so… compromised in every way.

Before Touran, car was an Impreza WRX PPP (with aftermarket cruise control fitted 🙂 ) My, at the time toddler, son loved it! Wife not so happy about the huge bonnet scoop and the waves from the Scooby club 😆

Big beautiful van is really sitting there getting rusty discs.

Every time you stop at a set of lights and a Transporter pulls up you will sigh a little and think about the good times

Ha ha! that’s so true!

If you use it so little, can you not just sell it and rent the same thing when needed? Savings in tax/insurance would surely add up to a nice little rental money pot

we have indeed considered that a likely outcome.

I’d be out test driving as many different cars as possible but a big Volvo, Skoda Superb, Merc E-Class are a good place to start

I think we really have to do that – for once, maybe not make. Arash quick heart driven decision!

big_scot_nanny

So, for what it’s worth, here’s the update.

Final offer in for the Caravelle, have till Saturday to decide, but it is 4K MORE than I paid for it 2 yrs ago. Jesus wept, that’s mental.

Test drove
    Merc E class – bit chintzy, nice though, quiet, kids OK in the back but legroom just so-so, boot big.
    Volvo V90 – wow, what a lovely place to be a driver. Amazing. Rear space awful, and a really small shallow boot. Shame.
    Skoda Superb – felt a bit cheaper in the cabin, but oodles of space, huge boot, 3 kids in the back Ok, had the flip out towbar and 4×4 which I rather liked

All drove beautifully, and a lot better than the caravelle.

But, I think my family will hate me if I get rid of the van. And now that I cleaned it for sale, just don’t think I can get rid of it. But then, it’s just sitting there with only occasional ‘full usage’ all of which we could do with the estate. Argh! Balls! FFS, why is this so hard?

db

ha ha ha

I had a v60 and it was the most comfortable driving set up about of my 30odd cars but space is not strong on the modern volvos.

Have yo tried a Passat? Maybe nicer than Superb on the inside but not sacrificing too much space?

What about a BMW grand tourer MPV thing. A colleague has one and ravs about it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.