Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Swapping SRAM brakes
  • russianbob
    Free Member

I’m looking for some new brakes and I think I have settled on SRAM, probably Codes, however most availability are for moto set up. I think SRAM levers are ambidextrous so a right hand rear could easily be switched to left hand by simply mounting the lever on the left side of the bars. Am I right?

If not, how simple would it be to just change the hose lengths?

dhrider
    Free Member

Yes, you are correct.

weeksy

very very easy, did it the other day… they did need a little bleed though as i lost a little fluid from lever.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Yep. Pretty much the only redeeming feature of Avid brakes is that if you’re hiring a bike then you can easily swap the levers over in a couple of minutes.

razorrazoo

Pretty much the only redeeming feature of Avid brakes

Yawn.

To be clear on Weeksy’s point, he means bleed only if cutting hoses, which you won’t need to do just swapping the lever sides over.

joebristol

The code levers are ‘flip flop’ so you should be fine.

If you have to shorten the hoses for any reason, just make sure the hold the lever so the hole is upright – then you likely won’t lose any fluid and can likely avoid a bleed – I got away with it on my last one I had to shorten.

And the Avid comment above – please – they haven’t been avid for ages. Yes the juicy’s were sometimes a little temperamental and the Elixers were awful, but the Codes in particular are brilliant. Nice chunky lever body that holds up in a crash, replaceable blades for about £20 (ignoring Covid) and I’ve not had to touch mine for a few years that are in my full suss. Just push the pistons back when changing brake pads and away I go. Bought a second pair for my hardtail I was so impressed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Swapping SRAM brakes’ is closed to new replies.