Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Swapping my chainring 32T to 36T on 2×9 – any issues?
  • Paceman
    Free Member

Planning on swapping my chainring from 32T to 36T on my 2×9 and bash set-up.

I assume this shouldn’t affect shifting performance, and should need little or no adjustment to my front mech? Will also check the chainlength is still ok.

wwaswas

only issue may be that you need to lengthen the chain if you’d shortened it for the 32?

[edit] did you add the chainlength bit or did I just not bother to read the whole thing?

sv

Having to drop to the small ring more often.

wilko1999
    Free Member

If you’ve got a double specific front mech you’ll be fine.

I have bodged a 2×9 from a 3×9 SLX, and switched the 32 for a 36. I have the original triple front mech and the shifting is a little clunky and it was very difficult to get the mech into a position where everything worked without the chain rubbing on it in certain gears.

Paceman
    Free Member

Wwaswas, no I didn’t edit the chainlength bit, I just assumed i’d need to add a couple of links.

I didn’t realise there were double-specific front mechs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the shift from the 22 to 36 and back again will not be as smooth.

I find it best to use it as a two ranges of gears – so use the 36 on the flat and downs but at anything but the slightest hill change at the bottom to the granny ring and use the bottom 6 gears on the cassette – so I might start climbing in granny 5

this avoids having to shift halfway up the hill

Paceman
    Free Member

Cheers guys, that’s useful.

I assuming this SLX Double-Specific Front Mech would work:

http://www.madison.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catref=FDM667X5

But would I also need a double-specific shifter? I currently use an XT triple shifter with my 2×9 with the limiter adjusted so it works as double.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

I run a 37/29 double set up with an XT front mech (triple) with the stops adjusted correctly and have no issues whatsoever.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I have no problems running a normal 3 speed Deore front mech on a 24/36 set up. Like lostboy says, you’ve just got to set the thing up properly.

clubber
    Free Member

You don’t need a double specific shifter.

I found the double specific mech made a huge difference in avoiding dropped chains but I don’t use a bash on my double.

Paceman
    Free Member

I think i’ll try and stick with my standard XT Front Mech for now. I’ve set it up no problem as a 22-34T Double and Bash with careful limit screw adjustment, so changing to 36T should be ok.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Run a 36/22 with a regular front mech – no issues.

stayhigh

Out of curiousity whats the difference between 22/36 and 29/37?

chrismac

I kept the same shifter but had to change my xt mech to the double specific slx. Apparently XT triple front mechs can only cope with a maximum of 12 teeth difference in the rings where as the slx double can do 14.

duffmiver
    Free Member

Really?

thomthumb
    Free Member

front mech will need to slide up the seattube a bit. ime.

you need to keep the middle ring notch in line with the middle ring.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I use a standard triple front mech – a seven speed one at that.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

front mech will need to slide up the seattube a bit. ime.

Agreed.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Agreed, agreed.

Stuey01
    Free Member

HTH

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Swapping my chainring 32T to 36T on 2×9 – any issues?’ is closed to new replies.